tepidpoultry

Hi Fink,

Really good post,

I was wondering if you are willing to share the source,

Thanks

:0)

• Londo111
    Londo111

Cult and high control group are synonyms. At least in how the word has evolved.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    If its a cult-- its high control. Same thing. Semantics
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It's what they do to people's minds that tells you it's a cult Unshacklethechains. My gentle sister who grew up loving animals and not hurting a fly leaving her sister and niece in grief to suffer alone.

So many stories on here of JWs rejecting their siblings, parents, their own children. You can't tell me this religion isn't a cult when it screws people's minds up so they are cruel and unable to show natural feelings anymore.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

CULTS OF CHRISTIANITY

Cults of Christianity: Groups or movements that claim

to represent true Christianity but distinguish themselves as

counterfeit by displaying the following set of characteristics:

1. Claim Special or Exclusive Divine Approbation

All cults of Christianity are elitist, claiming special exalted status for themselves, their leadership and members. The group alone represents true Christianity and all other groups are demonic or inspired by Satan.

2. Reduce the Authority of Scripture

All cults of Christianity in some way reduce the authority of scripture. Although most cults acknowledge that the Bible is inspired by God, and claim it as their authority, scripture actually takes on a secondary role in determining cultic doctrine. The Bible's authority is subjugated to the extraneous authority of the group's leadership and the supplementary materials they produce. Thus the group's leadership becomes the primary authority for doctrine, not the Bible.

3. Ignore Accepted Principles of Hermeneutics

All cult groups claim their leadership alone has the God-given mandate, right and ability to interpret the scriptures for true believers. This leadership has exclusive insight into the meaning of scripture based on alleged divine appointment, special revelation or angelic guidance. Basic rules of interpretation are thus deemed unnecessary to arrive at the truth.

4. Distinguish themselves through extra-biblical Doctrines

All cults authenticate themselves through creation of doctrines which are unique and original to them yet at the same time are absolutely spurious to scripture.

5. Preach a gospel other than Paul's gospel

All cults of Christianity effectively deny justification by grace and make salvation in varying degrees dependent on works.

6. Establish Unbiblical Control Over Members.

All cults historically are guilty of setting and enforcing extra-biblical standards and policies, teaching as doctrine, totally man-made commandments. In consequence, many cult members have been unnecessarily subjected to spiritual abuse that has resulted in physical, social, psychological and even financial harm. five defining characteristics of a destructive cult: 1.) leadership demands total obedience, 2.) use of "controlling" techniques, 3.) social and physical isolation, 4.) extreme or fanatical behavior, and 5.) secrecy and deception.

7. Demonstrate Doctrinal Instability and Irresponsibility

All cults of Christianity are guilty of disseminating doctrinal misinformation in critical areas of faith or practice, and many have been guilty of engaging in prophetic speculation resulting in a history of predictive failure.

• flipper
    flipper

WT Society is both- a cult AND a high control religion. There is no acceptable way for a person to exit or leave the JW religion without suffering negative treatment or repercussions. You cannot leave and stay free of accusations

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So what's your your perspective? Cult or High Control Religion? - they are not mutually-exclusive, so how about: both.

Edit: just saw Flipper beat me to it.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

As many have said, they are both. It's just a case of where on the line between two extremities they sit. They are not the most extreme but in some ways that is worse than if they were an all out stereotypical cult. At the moment they can present a veneer of acceptability, point to having millions of members, not being obviously segregated or separated from mainstream living. Don't let that fool you - it's high control cultism.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

They mean exactly the same thing (at least wrt JWs).

Perhaps the only difference would be the context in which you're using whichever term:

If I were an academic writing a paper or giving a talk, I would call JWs a "high-control new religious movement."

However, whenever I casually talk about JWs with people, I refer to them as a "fundamentalist doomsday cult."

I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees. . . . .

• baker
    baker
    Cult, definition. 1.a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference toits rites and ceremonies.
    an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especiallyas manifested by a body of admirers:
    the physical fitness cult.
    the object of such devotion.
    a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing,person, ideal, etc.
    Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of ritescentering around their sacred symbols.
    a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist,with members often living outside of conventional society under thedirection of a charismatic leader. My pick is it,s a cult

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit