God and Unicorns

by Sea Breeze 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Atheist scientists now agree that "Elasmotherium sibiricu" lived with humans. All they had to do was read their bible to know that.

Job 39:9 “Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?”

Job 39:10 “Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow?

Psalm 22:21 “But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn:

Deuteronomy 33:17 “his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth"

Numbers 23:22 “God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.”

• blondie
    blondie

Hahaha, I saw that picture and I remember that word being used in the bible. The WTS uses the phrase "wild bull" in their translation, with an explanation in a 1992 WT. There are many reasons on found online about were there unicorns, if so why not any today, how the unicorn missed the boat--ark, etc.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Why 'atheist scientists'? That sounds like a bit of journo weasel wording.

Of course, that the Bible mentions unicorns, may not be referring to the wee beastie above.

It's a bit speculative, based on what we know currently.

That could all change.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe it just shows that you can`t really believe everything you read in the Bible as being gospel ?

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

It's the KJV which mentions unicorns, not the Hebrew Bible.

And by the way, the rhinoceros still exists!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Maybe it just shows that you can`t really believe everything you read in the Bible as being gospel ?

@smiddy - Maybe it shows that God is as real as unicorns after all.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Scientists try (or should try!) their utmost to put any personal bias or beliefs aside when doing science.

There are just 'scientists', that's all.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That's not a horn, that's a dunce cap!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just because the Bible writers used the word unicorn (if indeed that is a reasonable translation) doesn't mean they believed in its existence. Perhaps they were using creative licence in order to make a point or embellish an illustration like any other author?

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

As markweatherill says, It's the KJV which mentions unicorns, not the Hebrew Bible.

According to Strong's Concordance, the most common rendering of the original Hebrew word in those verses is "wild ox". Some, like the NWT, use "wild bull", but the two are close enough to be indistinguishable for the purposes of understanding the meaning: a powerful beast with horns.

Of the most common translations, only the King James has the fanciful rendering of "unicorn", but that's hardly surprising. The New KJV also now renders it "wild oxen" in line with others.

I've never bought into the argument of some that the old KJV is so great and should be clung to because it is "poetic", "traditional", etc. The "unicorn" rendering is a classic example of why it is not a very good translation, although I suppose it served the purpose of getting the Bible in some form into the hands of the masses in its time, rather than remaining a preserve of the Church only.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit