sorry enough?

by kj 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kj
    kj

There's something I've always wondered about- how do the elders decide when a disfellowshipped person is "sorry enough" for their sin to be reinstated? For instance, if someone is immediately repentant for something they've done, even turning themselves in, and they still get disfellowshipped for a set period of time. How is this scriptural? I already know the answer, it is not scriptural- but how did they decide these things? Just curious.

kj

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

It's a crap shoot.

I was given private reproof for engaging in homosexual sex.

Yet, I was given public reproof for going to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Go figure!

• shamus
    shamus

The thing to remember is how you are viewed in the congregation. If an elder doesn't like you, you can be assured that they want you out... something that pushes you toward the mighty DF, so to speak.

Some people get lots of tries. I had a roommate that smoked dope so much it wasn't even funny. He needed it for "medicinal" purposes, and was "addicted" to it. He confessed about 10 times before they DF'd him.

• kj
    kj

By public reproof, you mean they publicly reprimand you? Do they get specific about what you did?

kj

• kj
    kj

My main question is, how do they decide how long you need to be punished before they consider reinstating you? I've heard stories about people trying and trying to get reinstated. My grandma, who was DFd for smoking, continued to unrepentantly smoke for years. Then she found out she was dying of cancer. She died within 3 months. They were so kind to reinstate her just before her death. I just wonder how they decide you are sorry enough, or how they even believe they have that right?

• shamus
    shamus

Public Reproof Defined.

When one is a Jehovah's Witless, one loves to comment at meetings (), clean toilets () and make prayers and talks at meetings (). At least that is what they TELL YOU.

When you are put on PUBLIC REPROOF (tm), an announcement is made that you, Joseph Mengeles has been publicly reprooved. You can't comment. (). You can't make prayers of talks. (). You can't clean toilets or cut their lawn. (). Please note that these are fake tears.

If you get privately reproved, you have all the aformentioned steps, with the exlusion of the announcement.

It's great for the gossip in the hall. OOOOOH! I wonder what so and so did... what did they do??? What??? Tell me??? what did they do??? Then they will usually start to ignore you, because you are bad assosiation, even though you tried to set matters straight.

This is not a lie. Isn't it sick?

• shamus
    shamus

How long?

It depends how much they hate you.

I had a friend who was out for 2 years and he went to meetings all the time. Some people it was only 6 months. It all depends. They sure aren't quick about it, and could care less about you.

I am very sorry to hear about your grandma.

• kj
    kj

I remember one day my mom and my aunt (both JWs) were over to visit me and they were talking about the latest "disfellowshippings and reinstatements". I just sat there listening curiously, wondering how such gossip could be considered "Christian". My cousin (my JW aunt's daughter) got busted for sneaking to the prom. My mom told me about it. I mentioned it in conversation to my aunt, and she blasted my mother for telling me about it. I'm family for crying out loud! I now know they were trying to keep the whole thing hush hush, so my cousin would not get reproved or bring reproach on their good name. Give me a break. Poor kid.

kj

• kj
    kj

I think they let my grandma back in more or less for my aunts' sake. By the time she died, the cancer was in her brain and she wasn't even really thinking straight. I'm not sure how much she was even in touch with reality. She read her Bible every day, that's all I remember about her as a kid. All the years she was DFd, she always still read her Bible and was more of a Christian than any JW in good standing that I know. I only hope she found the truth somewhere along the way.

kj

• shamus
    shamus

kj,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jehovahs Witlesses. You just described what happens there all the time.

You should join them. You will see what disgusting vultures they really are. They hurt me in more ways that I can describe, and I did nothing wrong. NOTHING. They didn't care.

Hell, everyone on this board has been hurt like me. We're all used emotional pieces of shit to them, sorry about the language. 100% true, though.

They also used your poor grandmother in the same way.

They are abhorrent and disgusting in their own filth. They feel above everything. They suck.

How is that for being dramatic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit