June 7...How will you vote?

by digderidoo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Ozzie,

my father, who was Congrgation Servant/Presiding Overseer for many years was definately a Liberal (conservative) follower. Glory days were when Menzies & Fraser were in; Hawke/Keating days meant all the businesses went broke under their policies. I have to admit it influenced me in a way, but now I'm starting to lean towards the Democrats [;]

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Dark Clouds and Digd',

(It helps that this got back to the Top...Farkel's fix request). I believe I lost my right to register as a overseas postal-ballot voter. When I renewed my Britsh passport through the Washington DC embassy I was sent details on how to register as UK voter living overseas. However, according to an Expat news letters I was sent recently the UK government changed the rules (while I've been away)and UK citizens living abroad for more then 5 years lose the right to vote. (I think you have to return and re-register to vote).

It makes little difference to me. I guess that after 6 years I care little about UK politics and it could be argued, that after this time away and not paying UK income tax, why should I be allowed to participate in the political process?

When I read the letter I did feel like I was being rejected. I'm in a sort of in-between stage, a permanent US resident without voting rights (pay full US taxes and social security but without representation...sort of things revolutionary wars are fought over) and no longer entitled to full UK citizenship.

As I alluded to previously my next course of action is to apply for US citizenship. Mrs. Thirdson was miffed that I couldn't vote in the last election. She wanted another vote for the Democrats...and being a "minority" (ha ha) and an immigrant I do lean that way.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit