June 7...How will you vote?

by digderidoo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

General Election...June 7....UK

How will you vote?.....now that we are allowed to vote it would be interesting to see what political persuasions we have.

For me it is important to vote. For years I have been told that i cannot voice my opinion....however to vote for me is one of our fundamental human rights. People have died so that i can exercise this right. I voted in the last election....i will vote in this one.

I will vote labour again....okay i know Tony Blair's a bit of a dipstick...but although the last four years are open to criticism, some good has occured (eg the recent money ploughed into the NHS).

Voting for me is important...votes do count.

It would be interesting to see that although we all have had a similar upbringing religious wise....how do we view things politically?

So, not just the brits in the forth coming election, but to all, how would you vote???...

Yours dig

Ordinary people just like you and me...
    We're the keepers of our destiny...

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hi Didge,

Last time round, I ended up voting Tory - only because (for the first time in my life) I actually attended a candidates meeting and saw the calibre of individuals on display.

The labour candidate ( a young girl - one of Blair's babes) was simply hopeless. Couldn't string 2 sentences together. Had no ideas at all, as far as I could see, a complete product of the Party Machine.

Whereas the Tory chap actually seemed to be of some independent substance. I was impressed.

Did no good. The girl romped home.

Dunno aboout this time.

Having come only recently to the Voting Arena, as it were, I'm actually seriously considering an abstention this time round.

(the not-very-political) Duncan.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I can't vote! I understand I am illegible to vote in the UK now as I haven't lived in the UK for over 5 years. Not that I would have. However, I hope to be able to vote in the next US Presidential election if not the 2002 elections depending on my status change happening by then.

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Simon
    Simon

I can't vote for that grinning baffoon and besides, the tory's have promised to repeal IR35...

At the end of the day they are all pretty hopeless but I prefer the idea of making things better by being efficient rather than just throwing more money at things. We could give the NHS all the money the country earned and they would still waste it and have huge waiting lists.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Just wondering: when you were regularly attending meetings, perhaps even elders' meetings, did you ever get the impression of the political leanings of others?

Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I shall vote for Labour.

My JW mother would vote for labour were she not a JW, she says that her state pension has increased by about £20 per week since they came into power.

However! I think that the anti-asylum seekers should vote for the Consevatives, if they were in power no one would want to live in the UK!

By the way, Simon, congratulations on Kevin Keegans appointment to Manchester City.

Englishman.

PS: Here's UK Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott throwing a punch at an egg-throwing heckler. I wonder how many votes this will generate?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Thirdson:

I too am ineligible for UK voting, which pisses me off a bit. I realize I don't actually live there any more, but it's still home. Now that I would vote, I can't!

btw, love the Prescott thing. Honesty from a politician at last....

Expatbrit

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

ok question
    i noticed a couple of you said you were ineligible to vote
    what diqualifies a UK citizen from voting
    being that i am not familiar with the system of the UK i was curious
    thanks to whoever answers

here in the states as long as you are 18, a citizen and registered in the town that you live its cool to vote
    with a few exceptions to the rule
    only problem is that our votes mean shit
    because of the electoral college
    they are the ones who truly are in charge of the final outcome. . .
    so our democracy is not truly very democratic
    as most may have noticed with our last election
    which by the way was a joke

• logical
    logical

I vote for Homer Simpson

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Dark clouds,

I do not know why some are saying they are inelligable to vote....i think it has something to do with living overseas for a period of time....can someone clarify the situation?

I know certain citizens are inelligable to vote though....for example prisoners and also those that serve in the armed forces. However apart from those, so long as your registered on the electoral register, as far as i am aware you are allowed to vote.

Ozziepost

I remember when attending meetings some who had political persuasions. For instance, i remember some who were anti-thatcher....i remember at the time of the 1992 election, when all the polls were suggesting Neil Kinnock (labour) was going to beat Thatcher, my mom (a strong devout witness) commenting, 'good, it's about time this country can be reminded what a labour government can do'....i was shocked, but it was funny at the same time.

Yours dig

Ordinary people just like you and me...
    We're the keepers of our destiny...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit