No longer qualifies to share in the ministry?

by StephaneLaliberte 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2
    It would be extremely rare for a disfellowshipped person to go out in field service. In fact, if they did so, I'd view it as an act of defiance against the organization and nothing more.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I thought we all volunteered for a "personal ministry" with no expectation of support or protection from the WTBTS Inc.??

We can be shot, stabbed, mauled, raped, murdered, sued, tarred and feathered, and totally humiliated while voluntarily representing the WTBTS Inc., but we can't wear anything TOMO doesn't like. Yeah, that makes sense....

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

How gay is "too gay"?

Who determines?

This is just sofa king stew pit!

Let's review: It's a cult!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So if a guy showed up with a beard, longish hair, wearing a dress and strappy sandals, they wouldn't allow him to preach.

• millie210
    millie210

Well stated Jeffro.

What I dont understand is on what basis are they going to revoke an ordained ministers right to preach with the group?

For "appearing" gay? Imagine the law suits that could arise from that accusation being made.

The other thing that befuddles me is they are having a heck of a time getting people to GO out in service, so they are going to risk making the problem worse?

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    We had a couple who were DF'ed over 2 years and not only continued their FM but also brought their studies to the meetings, reported time also. We were told by the CO that we could take away their privileges and shun them but we could not interfere with their FS since that was their obligation before J especially if they were seeking reinstatement.
  • blondie
    blondie
    You can wear what you want door to door...but...other jws may not allow you to go with them, not assigning you to a car group even if you show up at an official service group site. So you can go alone from door to door....not much different than leaving a df'd jw alone who is going door to door.
  • Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

I have never heard of this policy before in my time as a JW, and so it's a first as far as I know. You could always be a publisher, and it was often the first step on the road to baptism for a new person. You could continue on as a publisher in an unbaptized state for awhile, and just be classified as an unbaptized publisher.

However, as a baptized witness JWs were always expected to always engage in some form of publishing or have a share in the ministry every month, even if only an hour a month. Even if a person was on judicial reproof or restrictions and couldn't comment or have parts in the meetings, they could (and were expected to) always preach. This was actually many times used as a gauge of their progress to full spiritual recovery.

Only disfellowshipped persons did not qualify for the ministry, so this to me is quasi putting these persons in a similar light... almost disfellowshiped-lite, or another form of judicial punishment.

• steve2
    steve2
    To show that field service is very much driven by "social approval" by one's fellow congregants, disfellowshipped person's rarely, if ever, would act on a desire" to go out preaching publically. But, yes, it is an intriguing issue given preaching is said by the organization to reflect one's relationship with God.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Has anyone else ever heard of any other reason for which someone would be disqualified from the ministry?

I don't know for sure, but I would highly suspect having an issue like dementia, Alzheimer's or Tourettes Syndrome might disqualify you. My Father has dementia - he has no idea what they are talking about anymore and no longer remembers the religion. He cannot string together a complete sentence. His choice of words makes no sense now. And sometimes he takes his clothes off or pours his soup at lunch into his shoe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit