A big shout out to the NHS

by moley 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

We have government sponsored Health Care in Canada thankfully...... for over 50 years now I might add.

Every country should have it, the US is starting to wake up to this fact finally.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Don't you all pay more on taxes to cover this "free" NHS system? Otherwise how would it be free?

• Searril
    Searril

Obviously.........it takes a serious level of participation re taxes to support the British NHS.

That's all I'm saying. The people who say it costs them nothing are factually wrong.

However when it comes to needing medical care.......... it's one for all and all for one.

I look forward to the day that health care here in the US is mandated the way Social Security and Medicare is. Because in almost every case you will get every dollar back that you paid out.

I'm of two minds on it. Certainly the system here is broken and something will have to give at some point or else people will simply give up on paying any medical bills at all.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The problem with the US is that it has had privately operated Health care through private insurance agencies embedded in the social and political environment for so long.

It did have some government sponsored Medicaid in place but was direly lacking for serious health issues or people over the age of 65.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Don't you all pay more on taxes to cover this "free" NHS system? Otherwise how would it be free?

If you are in employment you have to pay "National Insurance".

Currently <£8424 PA = 0% of salary

£8424 - £46350 PA = 12% of salary

>£46350 = 2%

Worth every penny though people who do not work and/or have never contributed still get the benefits. Why does everyone want to move to countries such as the UK?

George

• snugglebunny
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    Why does everyone want to move to countries such as the UK?

for the last 2 years every non-eu immigrant to the UK pays a levy of £1000 towards NHS treatment before they even apply for a settlement visa. it is paid in 2 installments over the first 5 years. it is understood to be doubled soon--maybe next month.

ive just paid my wifes second installment.

this is in addition to the national insurance and income tax she pays out of her wages.

• Simon
    Simon

It's certainly not "free" - it's single-payer, free at the point of delivery.

There are some areas where it has problems but on the whole it delivers pretty good medical care for the cost - certainly compared to the astronomical price of healthcare in the US where more is spent on administration than front-line medical care and coverage and how much it costs is far less uniform.

• sir82
    sir82

Wait - I was told that all forms of single-payer "socialized medicine" were merely thinly-disguised death squads, and instituting such a system is the first step on a deep slippery slope to Stalinesque communistic oppression?

You mean, that's wrong, and single-payer insurance systems actually save lives at a reasonable cost?

Wow, it's almost like those opposing such a system really don't know what they're talking about.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm lucky enough to have an NHS funded dentist.. it means i pay a set price for any treatment i need:

Dentistry is one of the few NHS services where you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your care. The information on this page explains what you may have to pay for your NHS dental treatment.

• Emergency dental treatment – £21.60 This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling.
    • Band 1 course of treatment – £21.60 This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

• Band 2 course of treatment – £59.10 This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth but not more complex items covered by Band 3.

• Band 3 course of treatment – £256.50 This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.

great value for money.

however--i recently needed a wisdom tooth extraction under sedation. this meant a hospital appointment. i was out for the count the whole time. total cost--nothing. zilch.

even better value for money !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit