Is it Logical To Beleive In A Creator - GOD ? In This Scientific Age ?

by smiddy3 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Lawrence Krauss’s version of “nothing” is not very nothingy, because it still assumes physical properties and laws at the beginning. Why is there anything at all? He doesn’t really address the philosophical question. Any way that you look at it, existence is miraculous.

What Krauss is saying is that the universe, its drive , description and dynamics always existed. (That something is a form of nothing.) It doesn’t make sense but there is no other explanation that I can think of to change nonexistence into the universe with its descriptive properties. The other explanation is God. In any case. Something dynamic and descriptive always existed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, except that God isn’t a “thing”, which is what makes God a better explanation. What I mean is that God isn’t an item inside this existence that requires explanation.

In some ways that either makes sense or it doesn’t. To me it makes more sense because it allows for intention outside of the thing (the universe, existence) that seems to require explanation. Otherwise we are just left with existence without anything outside and without explanation. In discussing these things we may be at the edges, or beyond, what humans can understand. But again, the very fact we seem to be able to have this conversation is one of the things that suggest to me that our universe, and our ability to perceive it, presumably with some accuracy, point to intention behind our existence.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Hi Smiddy,

The only logical thing- in my mind anyway, is that all the gods that exist were created (made up) by humans to explain the natural world around them and help them cope with the sting of death. Whether someone was good or bad became tied to a blessing or a curse from the gods.

Over the centuries, religion has developed and been used to control and coerce.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Fisherman I believe you have given an accurate idea of Krauss' idea of the universe, such as "that the universe, its drive , description and dynamics always existed". I agree with that view, that the universe (according to some definition of the word "universe) or nature, has always existed. To me that is what science strongly points because science has not found a beginning to dynamic energy and thus not a beginning to nature. As a result to me that means there that nature (and the universe in a broad sense which includes what existed prior to the big bang) was never created and thus there is no creator, and thus no God. I am satisfied with that idea. But to me that is not miraculous, at least not in the supernatural since, though it is highly amazing and mysterious. To me the universe in the broad sense, namely nature, is all there is and it influences us and we are a part of it. Maybe that view means nature is ultimate.

I also think that perhaps on some level the universe as a whole might be conscious. By that I mean in the sense of panpsychism, and even that what exists at the quantum level might be the building 'blocks' of such consciousness. Thus, to some extent we (Fisherman, slimboyfat, and I) might have some degree of commonality in regards to the idea of intention being bound up in (or playing a role in) the existence of the universe.

https://blog.unitedseminary.edu/the-canvas/religious-naturalism-a-theology-for-uu-humanists-part-i-0 says the following about religious naturalism. [I am a naturalist, but I am not religious and thus not a religious naturalist. I do however have the same view about naturalism as stated in the following quote, except for me not being religious.]

'For the religious naturalist, nature is ultimate; there is nothing above, beyond, or in addition to nature. For that reason, the religious naturalist is vehemently anti-supernaturalistic. There are no supernatural entities of any sort, no heavenly realms or otherworldly destinies, no overarching cosmic purpose or direction, no miracles or special revelations, and no immortal souls that live on after death. Such items, as Wesley Wildman cleverly puts it, are not on the religious naturalist’s “ontological inventory” (Wildman 2014: 42-43). Nor is there any anthropomorphic divine being determining or guiding the course of history. Once again, what there is, and all there is, is nature. This means that there is nothing outside of nature, and anything that does exist, including humans and their civilizations, is a part of nature.'

slimboyfat you might appreciate the following which is also said on that web page.

'I think it is fair to say that Unitarian Universalism is the foremost liberal religion in America today. And, to me, religious naturalism is the quintessential expression of a liberal theological outlook. Like UU liberals, religious naturalists are anti-authoritarian to the core, insisting on a free and responsible search for truth and meaning. Like UU liberals, religious naturalists draw on a diverse array of sources such as science, poetry, art, and the world religions. Like UU liberals, religious naturalists look to the guidance of reason and experience, including the “direct experience of that transcending mystery, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life.” For the religious naturalist, that transcending mystery is nature itself.'

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The question of course that we are all avoiding comes down to if there was nothing to begin with and GOD decided to create the universe and us on earth where did he ? come from ?

IF one GOD existed in the distant past somehow, why not 2,3 or many more ?

I know there is no answer to that question just as there is no answer to how things exist without a GOD .

But getting back to the OP ,there is no scientific reason in this day and age to beleive in a GOD simply because "it" doesn`t make itself known ,doesn`t communicate and expose itself , and simply prove to humanity of it`s existence ?

Simple ,not hard .?

If it did any of those things many more of us WOULD bow down and serve "it"

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Consider what is said at https://www.noemamag.com/the-conscious-universe/ in the article called "The Conscious Universe: The radical idea that everything has elements of consciousness is reemerging and breathing new life into a cold and mechanical cosmos."That article says in part the following.

'Recent research into slime mold — a single-celled eukaryotic organism that has no brain, no nervous system and looks like a yellow puddle — found that it makes decisions, perceives its surroundings and can choose the most nutritious food from numerous options. As an experiment, researchers arranged oat flakes in the geographical pattern of cities around Tokyo, and the slime mold constructed nutrient channeling tubes that closely mimicked the painstakingly planned metropolitan railway system. At Columbia University, the biologist Martin Picard has discovered that mitochondria, the organelles found in the cells of almost every complex organism, “communicate with each other and with the cell nucleus, exhibit group formation and interdependence, synchronize their behaviors and functionally specialize to accomplish specific functions within the organism.” Nobody is concluding that mitochondria are conscious, but if an animal the size of a dog acted like this, would we intuitively ascribe to it some basic level of consciousness?'

Regarding what is said above about slim molds, I saw that demonstrated in a science program on PBS television broadcast and I was very impressed by it.

See also https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-consciousness-pervade-the-universe/ in the article called 'Does Consciousness Pervade the Universe? : Philosopher Philip Goff answers questions about “panpsychism” '.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    The question of course that we are all avoiding comes down to if there was nothing to begin with and GOD decided to create the universe and us on earth where did he ? come from ?

This question assumes that God is like a being in the universe that requires an explanation. But the whole point of “God” is that he is outside time and space and is self existent. The question “where did God come from?” sounds like a question about God, but in effect all the question really means is that the person asking it has ruled out the possibility that God exists from the start. So when a person says “where did God come from?” what this really means is “I don’t believe a self existent being can exist”. That’s a position one is free to take, but it doesn’t help to settle the question of whether there is a God.

If I say Argentina have the best football team, you could ask: “which country is better at football than Argentina”? But all you are really doing is disputing the assertion that Argentina is the best team. Similarly when somebody says: “where did God come from, or who created God?” all they are really saying is, “I don’t believe in God”, nothing more.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    God isn’t a “thing”

semantics

an item inside this existence that requires explanation.

With the God ( substance, thing, something ) explanation nothing never existed. God always filled all the voids of reality. Before the universe there was God then there was a change —like the big bang.

In other words, something some thing always existed, God.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In other words, something some thing always existed, God.

That can also be said about the physical ,material universe , is that not also true ?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Hi Smid!

in this day and age to beleive in a GOD simply because "it" doesn`t make itself known ,doesn`t communicate and expose itself , and simply prove to humanity of it`s existence ?

That is a different subject. The point is that something with dynamics and drive and description must always have existed—so what can we conclude from that?

Regarding empirical evidence of God, I answered that in another one of your threads. I for one can only know something is real not by logic but by measurement by counting the money like the apostles who saw and spoke with Jesus or seeing Lazarus resurrected or speaking with an angel like Zechariah spoke with Gabriel. Proof like that would convince my mind same as I would take a measurement that something is real. What would you conclude from that? Speaking to a Witness would convince me but only if I took a measurement myself could I testify. What would you do with proof from God Smid?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit