"outside of time" argument

by Blotty 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

slimboyfat

Here is the opinion of Tertullian - who professed to be a Catholic - on whether it is at all acceptable for heretics to refer to the Holy Scriptures. He would obviously have a similar opinion about those who want to use his writings (misinterpreted, taken out of context) to support heresy, and attack the his Church:

Since this is the case, in order that the truth may be adjudged to belong to us, as many as walk according to the rule, which the church has handed down from the apostles, the apostles from Christ, and Christ from God, the reason of our position is clear, when it determines that heretics ought not to be allowed to challenge an appeal to the Scriptures, since we, without the Scriptures, prove that they have nothing to do with the Scriptures. For as they are heretics, they cannot be true Christians, because it is not from Christ that they get that which they pursue of their own mere choice, and from the pursuit incur and admit the name of heretics. Thus, not being Christians, they have acquired no right to the Christian Scriptures; and it may be very fairly said to them, Who are you? When and whence did you come? As you are none of mine, what have you to do with that which is mine? Indeed, Marcion, by what right do you hew my wood? By whose permission, Valentinus, are you diverting the streams of my fountain? By what power, Apelles, are you removing my landmarks? This is my property. Why are you, the rest, sowing and feeding here at your own pleasure? This (I say) is my property. I have long possessed it; I possessed it before you. I hold sure title-deeds from the original owners themselves, to whom the estate belonged. I am the heir of the apostles. Just as they carefully prepared their will and testament, and committed it to a trust, and adjured (the trustees to be faithful to their charge), even so do I hold it. As for you, they have, it is certain, always held you as disinherited, and rejected you as strangers — as enemies. But on what ground are heretics strangers and enemies to the apostles, if it be not from the difference of their teaching, which each individual of his own mere will has either advanced or received in opposition to the apostles?

(Prescription against Heretics - Chapter 37.)

• Badfish
    Badfish

I’m not sure exactly what you’re trying to argue here.

According to the standard big bang model of cosmology, TIME began together with the universe in a singularity approximately 14 billion years ago.

The Bible clearly states that Jesus created everything.

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.” (John 1:3)

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.” (Colossians 1:16)

If time itself began with the singularity event, it stands to reason that the creator of both time and space would have to be outside of—and unbound by—not only space, but also time.

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

It's really not clear what the the issue is here, especially as the early Greek philosophers denied the reality of time, thinking of existences as eternal. In contrast, according to the Scriptures, God created the time for man when He separated the days from each other (cf. Gen 1). The world was created in time, the history of salvation takes place in time, time is the form of existence in our world, which began with creation.

• Blotty
    Blotty

"my goal was not to upset you or to attack you personally" you certainly imply it...

your thoughts are flawed.

for instance Jesus isnt said to be created or "come into being" so he never was shall I list the instances of things that arent stated in the bible?

1. "it's not aorist" - ask Barclay (pretty sure it was Barclay), multiple scholars have said we should understand it as aorist rather than "eternity"

see also Edgar Foster & Daniel Wallace's - Greek grammar beyond the basics

"which is used to show continuous action in the past" - only when past time implications are mixed with a present tense verb. The combination of "beginning" and "was" doesnt always equate to "eternity", actaully never does..

same combo is used of Satan, has he been sinning for eternity - consistancy..

4. "God the Father is not needed to be called "firstborn"" - didnt say God the father I said God..

5. the language you are using - yes I am being vague Im seeing if you can be 100% honest for a change

7. I also said DM it to me... Where are humans, angels called "creatures"... where are angels said to be created? they never were - there are cases where "all" (panta) means "some" or "most" alot of the time the exception is assumed to be known by the readers based on common sense

"The genitive does not at all mean that he is included" - again show me an instance where this is not the case...

"any more than "Lord of worlds" means that the Lord is also a world himself, or "the king of the country" means that the king is also a country himself. " - no but they are part of the "world" they are king of and the king is part of the country he is king over - however king and lord are superior titles so they are above what they are connected too.

Firstborn is understood as equal or part of the same group. anything firstborn is generally understood to have come into being - else again it would be used of God.

Christ is a highly exalted divine being - yes, but never said to be God in the NT

(see Barclay)

see Greg stafford, Edgar Foster etc

"The Son is eternally begotten, not made or created" - you will have to prove that with scriptural references... monogenes in Greek means of sole descent (I know the word is controversial)

being eternally begotten makes no sense (by definition in general) and is nowhere stated in the bible - the only thing you have to go on is your flawed argument for "beginning" and "was"

Ever consider that "in the beginning" could be referencing 2 different events "In the beginning"? for example I could write:

On June 3rd 2012 I was at school (no mention of me being born, travelling to school, etc)

OR

On June 3rd 2012 I was making a model of a human skeleton (Where am I making this model? based on my previous statement it would have been at school)

Get the point? Bible writers do this often. same time frame slightly different events told in a different order.

"Why should anyone else than the Son called the way the Son is called?" - its the lexical meaning to the word

"and not made of the Father" - huh?

"Lol, here Isaac is not only-begotten Son of God, but of Abraham." - not my point, far from it infact..

"You should just answer the rhetorical question YHWH God asks in Isaiah 44:24" - ok I will

Job 38:5-8 The angels were with YHWH

now to the actaul context of Isaiah (you isolate that scripture from its immediate context)

less than 10 verses before verse 24 it says: (rough verse guidelines)

44:1- 10 God issues a challenge to false Gods of the nations

11- 19 man made idols "taunted"

24 - 28 how to get back on the right path.

So in some sense this is strictly between God and the man made idols, it does not exclude anyone from being with God at all as Job 38:7 proves outright.

compare: 1 Kings 6:2; 6:14; 7:1; 8:27; 9:10; 15:23; 22:39; 2 Chron. 26:9; Ezra 5:11 - where similar statements are made.

"These statements are explicit and clear" - so are others which you ignore, and they limit God to just the Father - else they could have written the others aswell, 1 time - thats it. Are mint and rue herbs? going by your logic combined with Lukes writings they are not.

" The Bible clearly states that only God can and does create, and does not use secondary agents, co-creator angels, etc. for this" - it says he creates alone it never says the rest though, and ironically the preposition "dia" most of the time means agency in the NT, and in pauls mind Wisdom was assosiated with Christ - the nicene councel never denied this. This isnt an invention by the Watchtower either as other ancient texts prove.

"Which council said that Proverb 8 is literally about the Son?" - never said it was literally about the son... I said symbollically its different - Wisdom is also the only "thing" to use "I"

"Even Jewish translators (Philo of Alexandria, Aquila, Theodotion, Symmachus) preferred to translate the verb in Proverbs 8:22 as ἐκτήσατο, meaning "acquired" or "possessed." " - should be noted all the meanings to the word imply "something that was not possesed before" or in other words a new thing to the subject.

"while "begotten" suggests an eternal relationship, with no beginning" - it really doesnt... "born" and "begotten" are used as parralels and basically mean the same, only slight variations - The father even says "Today" I have begotten you - again as you like to claim for us non-trinitarians a simple statement of eternal begetting would not go a miss.

"sharing the same divine essence with the Father." - but humans also share the divine nature with them? are they then God? what about angels? (Who are literally called gods)

Athanasius was well known to state things that contridict the bible - you can research that yourself, infact he was sometimes downright dishonest..

should also look up teh history of that councel..

" the natural son originates from the father by generation." - what does generation mean? again the word implies some sort of beginning. a time either not God or not in existance

" God created the time for man when He separated the days from each other " - dont think so, not according to other bible commentators and scholars..

you also isolate alot of the other texts from their context and twist them to say what you want them to say (aside from 1 or 2)

"f time itself began with the singularity event, it stands to reason that the creator of both time and space would have to be outside of—and unbound by—not only space, but also time." - 1.bible often uses hyberbole and exagerates deeply 2. pretty sure the big bang happened in time... specifically as you say

14 billion years ago

• Blotty
    Blotty

"the Son is begotten from the Father before all aions, not made" - meaning "the world" "the system of things" as in not time itself (see original post)

"the early Christian sources even before the Nicene Creed do not teach anything else" - ofcourse, the trinity doctrine was established roughly in the third century, it existed before hand, pretty sure it can traced to atleast teh second century

" the Nicene Creed uses only New Testament terminology" - course it does

about:

(Hebrews 1:5)

“. . .For example, to which one of the angels did God ever say: “You are my son; today I have become your father”? And again: “I will become his father, and he will become my son”?”

This does not make Jesus exempt please see:

Hebrews 1:5, 13

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my son! Today I have fathered you”? And in another place he says, “I will be his father and he will be my son.” …

But to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

Jesus being the archangel would put him in an elevated class over the other angels that appeared after him. Thus, there is no conflict. Even if one views the archangel as a rank within the angels, it would still separate him from the angels as he is superior in so many ways as described in Hebrews 1:2-3.

(https://jimspace3000.blogspot.com/search?q=Hebrews+1%3A5)

also this was said to Jesus when he was a man, not an angel (or archangel) there are many more flaws in your argument but those are the main ones

https://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2010/07/does-hebrews-chapter-1-show-that-jesus.html

about: "The great apostacy"

Other prophecys have different time periods in the bible and is marked out as "representing" rather than the actaul time - so it doesnt discount it

see also:

https://searchforbibletruths.blogspot.com/2010/02/questions-for-those-who-believe-in.html

https://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2012/01/prov-822-30.html

http://jehovah.to/exe/general/archangel.htm

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

Blotty

Wondering what could be the cause of the fact that handling, listening and interpreting longer texts could possibly be indicative of ADHD (or the uncluttered writing style - answering your comments takes almost as much time as figuring out what the factual statement is -, and non-standard grammar for dyslexia), it is not a personal attack, since these conditions are not moral categories, the people involved are not responsible for them.

"Jesus isnt said to be created or "come into being" so he never was shall I list the instances of things that arent stated in the bible?" - You can compile a list of them, but this is only a problem for such denominations that - in principle or in fact - stand on the principle of 'sola Scriptura' (Scripture alone), such as the Watchtower Society. This is a serious problem for them, if the Bible does not state one of their most important doctrines.

No matter what your sources claim (they are not scholars, nor linguists, but WTS apologists), you can check in any grammar book that the Greek copula (eimi, "to be") does not have an aorist form, so the verb γίγνομαι (gígnomai, "to come into being", "to become") was used for this. Consequently, "en archē ēn ho Logos" (John 1:1a) is not aorist, but simply imperfect indicative.

" The combination of "beginning" and "was" doesnt always equate to "eternity", actaully never does.." - Since this is the only place in all of Scripture where this phrase ("In the beginning was X...") occurs, especially in such a solemn context as in the Prologue of one of the Gospels, you can't go anywhere else to understand its meaning. If "in the beginning" refers to Genesis 1:1, then it is understood in the sense of 'bereshith' found there, which denotes "the beginning" in absolute sense, the creation of the world. John says that the Logos already "was", thus existed then. And he continues in verse 3 "apart from him nothing was made that has been made", so John does not classify the Logos among the things that "that has been made", in fact he explicitly separates and distinguishes them from them. Also: the Watchtower forgot to put the word "other" in the NWT here as well ;-)

It is not clear why other persons should be declared "only-begotten" and "firstborn" etc. in other contexts, if according to the Holy Scriptures this title belongs only to the Son, also according to the Watchtower. Anyway, "only-begotten" (monogenes, μονογενής) has two primary definitions, "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship" and "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind". [Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (BAGD, 3rd Edition)] Its Greek meaning is often applied to mean "one of a kind, one and only" (LSJ Dictionary Entry).

You say that "the language I use" is "Greek philosophy", well that's enough for me to reject, that's just the Watchtower's stupid rant against anything more sophisticated reasoning, anyway according to my belief "the philosophy" is usually not some satanic horrible thing in itself that has to be feared. According to Catholic Teaching, "faith seeks understanding, reason seeks faith" ("fides quaerens intellectum..."), and this fideist-fundamentalist-bibilistic approach is anything but a Christian requirement.

"There are also signs of a resurgence of fideism, which fails to recognize the importance of rational knowledge and philosophical discourse for the understanding of faith, indeed for the very possibility of belief in God. One currently widespread symptom of this fideistic tendency is a “biblicism” which tends to make the reading and exegesis of Sacred Scripture the sole criterion of truth." (John Paul II - Fides et Ratio)

Chapter 1 of the Epistle to the Hebrews clearly distinguishes the Son from "all the angels" (v14: "Are not all angels ministering spirits ...?"), the translators of your denomination must have forgotten to insert their favorite word "other" here as well ;-)

I have given several examples where we can see that the Holy Scriptures do call creatures "creatures", so it knows the category it classifies as creatures. But where does he list the Son among them? He just contrasts the only-begotten of the Father with all the creatures, who were all "made by/through him".

""The genitive does not at all mean that he is included" - again show me an instance where this is not the case..." - Why should I do such a thing for it to be like this, if the Son is unique, why should the Scriptures declare similar things about anyone else. The phrase "something of something" does not at all mean "belonging to a category" in any language (not even in English), in itself it just expresses a kind of relation. What that relation is, is expressed by the specific statement and the broader context.

It is not difficult to understand what the "Firstborn of the whole creation" means. It is enough to see what the title "Firstborn" title means: preeminent, distinguished heir, ruler, etc., therefore it's a lordly title, is also related to the Davidic-Messianic title - even according to the Watchtower, cf. Aid to Bible Understanding p. 583-584.

What kind of relationship this "Firstborn" has with "the whole creation" mentioned after it, well, that it is a part of it, does not follow at all from the linguistic meaning of this term, nor from a narrower or broader context. Once "Firstborn" is a lordly title, and "the whole creation" (which by definition is subject to this ruling Firstborn - also according to the WTS) mentioned mentioned after, then it is much more reasonable that this person enjoys the status of the "Firstborn" over "the whole creation" rather than being classified as a part of it. The whole context is a passage glorifying the Son, it is completely foreign if you rewrite the second half of Col 1:15 to say that he is "the first created being", then it would become completely meaningless. Is he "the first created being, BECAUSE all [other things was created in him"? What?

The funniest thing is that this is the standard interpretation of these words ("the firstborn of all creation"), that this means that the Son is "the Firstborn", therefore the Lord, the Ruler of the whole creation, otherwise it is completely compatible with the theology of the Watchtower too, but they still cannot admit it, they have to stick to it until they break the nails, because they NEED this "one-liner" "proof" text, if the Scriptures do not declare the Son to be a creature anywhere.

""any more than "Lord of worlds" means that the Lord is also a world himself, or "the king of the country" means that the king is also a country himself." - no but they are part of the "world" they are king of and the king is part of the country he is king over - however king and lord are superior titles so they are above what they are connected too." - Wrong. In ancient times and in the Middle Ages, for example, the king was not considered part of the nation over which he ruled. The king is not part of the nation, but a supranational agent. And with that logic, if God is the Lord of the created world, then he is also a creature, since according to you the classification as being "part of" always follows from the genitive.

"Christ is a highly exalted divine being - yes, but never said to be God in the NT" - There are no demigods, "gods" (only the so-called "false gods" of the pagans) in the New Testament, and in fact, the New Testament calls the Son "THEOS" in many places, the Watchtower does not dispute this either, they only play tricks with the initial letter, even though in the time of the apostles there was no distinction between lowercase and uppercase letters, the Son just is declared the same initials "THEOS" as the Father.

This is where the Watchtower brings in the completely baseless argument that if the Holy Scriptures say "THEOS" without the article ("HO", "the"), it actually means only a demigod, and only the form provided with the article ("HO THEOS") means full deity. In addition to being a completely artificial construction, Matthew 1:23 and John 20:28 use "HO THEOS" in relation to Jesus. In the case of the latter, the text specifically indicates that apostle Thomas said this to Jesus (αὐτῷ, "to him", cf. Kingdom Interlinear Translation), who, according to the testimony of the next verse, interpreted these words of Thomas as a confession of faith.

""The Son is eternally begotten, not made or created" - you will have to prove that with scriptural references..." - I've already done.

On the one hand, the burden of proof is on you, thus, being founded only in 1879, claiming that we were all wrong for two thousand years, well, the minimum is that you should prove your claim, along with all the other claims, including whether there is such a prophecy in the NT, that "true Christianity" will disappear for 1800 years, and then Russell will "restore" it. The New Testament verses used by Jehovah's Witnesses to allegedly predict the alleged "great apostasy" do not claim that those specific false teachers will completely take over the Church to the extent that they will completely erase the "original" teaching without anyone noticing, and that it will then need to be recreated from scratch in 1879. Rather, they simply say that "there will be some false teachers" whom the apostles caution against, but there is no mention of the complete deterioration of the Church. Moreover, if they were going to take over power anyway, why caution against them? The inspired apostles should have known that everything would be in vain since the first-century Church was destined to burst like a soap bubble within a few decades. Therefore, there was actually no purpose in establishing local congregations or the entire existence of the first-century Christian community, as the only goal was for the New Testament writings to be written so that Russell could calculate 1914 from the Scriptures 1800 years later.

However, the argument also refers to the positive promises that the true Church will not disappear ever, that the Holy Spirit will always be with it, that "the gates of hell will not prevail against it," and so on. Consequently, according to the Scriptures, only a Church that has continuously and visibly existed since the time of the apostles, with historical continuity, can be true. The later arrival of "gurus" and self-proclaimed "pastor" does not hold any weight according to the Scriptures.

It is very easy to prove the statement, the New Testament declares countless times that the Son is "begotten" (gennao), "born" (tikto) of the Father, but that he was "created" (ktizo), or "made" (poio), precisely nowhere. The Scriptures clearly state that the Son receives his existence from the Father in a qualitatively different way than the creatures. If you claim that this strict terminological difference means nothing, then the burden of proof is on you.

"being eternally begotten makes no sense (by definition in general)" - Why wouldn't it make sense? It is very reasonable: temporality and temporal succession is a character to the created world, only the processes within the created world are characterized by temporality, there is no change in God, there is no time, no temporality in God, so what God doesn't do in relation to the created, world is his eternal act. This is what the Epistle to the Hebrews also says, that the Father begot the Son "today", but in God the "today" is the eternity.

""You should just answer the rhetorical question YHWH God asks in Isaiah 44:24" - ok I will. Job 38:5-8 The angels were with YHWH" - ... but it doesn't say that they participated in the creation, on the contrary, Job 9:8 declares that God "alone" created.

"now to the actaul context of Isaiah (you isolate that scripture from its immediate context)" - The context does not flatten the meaning of what Isaiah 44:24 states, that is, that YHWH God created "alone", and this "alone" excludes not only false gods (who actually don't exist), but everything and everyone else. So there is no room left for a secondary co-creator demigod-archangel participating in creation, where the Watchtower tries to put the Son. Thus, if the Scriptures state that the Son also participated in creation, then it also follows from Isaiah 44:24 that then the Son is YHWH God, just like the Father. If YHWH God creates actually "through" and "in" someone else, who is not YHWH God, then he does not create "alone".

"So in some sense this is strictly between God and the man made idols, it does not exclude anyone from being with God at all as Job 38:7 proves outright." - This verse doesn't excludes that they may have been present with him, but it excludes that anyone other than YHWH God participated in the creation, and the New Testament expressly states this about the Son, moreover, on numerous occasions. Neh 9:6, Isa 45:12, 48:13, Psalm 95:5-6 also say the same thing. Consequently, all persons of whom creation is claimed in Scripture must be God. Hebrews 3:4 says the same thing.

The New Testament doesn't restricts the description of the Son's participation in the creation to the preposition "dia" (=by/through Him) in John 1:3, but also with "en" (=in Him) in Colossians 1:16, and Hebrews 1:10 attributes the creation of the world to the Son in the most explicit way possible. (On the latter, even the Watchtower admits that this is an Old Testament quote originally referring to "Jehovah" applied here to the Son). If you combine these statements with all the Old Testament statements above that only YHWH God created "alone", nothing else comes out than that the Son is just as much YHWH God as the Father.

"Wisdom was assosiated with Christ" - Association and typology is not identification. For example, Jesus, as a messianic king, also draws a typology with David, yet we do not apply the statement about David one-to-one to Jesus.

"the nicene councel never denied this" - The council did not discuss the extent to which the concept of Chokhmah, which can be read in the Old Testament wisdom literature, can be identified with the Son, so it did not "not deny" it, but did not even deal with it.

"This isnt an invention by the Watchtower either as other ancient texts prove." - No one said that they invented it, but they use this place to support their doctrinal claim, even though according to the established exegesis, the Chokhmah of the Old Testament is not literally the Logos of the New Testament, but at most a type, a foreshadowing. The wisdom literature of the Old Testament, which also includes the book of Proverbs, cannot be used to support doctrinal teachings, taking into account its genre characteristics. Wisdom is personified. It is a quality within a Person, and the quality, itself, is personified. That Person is not yet revealed. "From everlasting was I poured" is an everlasting begetting. It is not a creation, it is a begetting, everlastingly. 'Time' has no meaning in this context.

Also, translations of Proverbs 8:22 in the Septuagint, word κτίζω can mean with a double accusative "to make somebody something", e.g., "to make/set somebody free" (cf. Aeschylus "Choephori" 1060), that is to say, cause somebody's getting free. In this last meaning the adequate literal translation of the Septuagint will be: "Lord caused/made me (brought me forth) to be the beginning of His ways towards His deeds", for there is not an "ἐν ἄρχῃ" in the text, but a double accusative ("[ἔκτισεν] με ἀρχήν"), like in the abovementioned quote from Aeschylus ("ἐλεύθερόν σε [κτίσει]"). Therefore, the translation "He created me in the beginning of his ways" is totally misleading, while "He caused/made me to be the beginning/principle" is grammatically more plausible with the double accusative construction. Thus, the Septuagint suggests that God was necessitated to bring forth, bring about, or cause something to be the principle ἀρχή for doing His deeds (ἔργα); therefore, by logic of this, this something is not included in those ἔργα but is outside of them as the God-derived principle for their coming into being.

Later in theology, through the Arian controversy, there happened a clear technical division between "creation" (κτίζω) and "begetting" (γεννάω). However, Septuagint translators did not yet have this terminologically tense agenda and thus put the verb in a looser sense of "making somebody something" or "bringing forth", not at all investing this term with a necessity of a contingency and createdness,i.e. non-eternity, of a being that God has brought about (ἔκτισεν).

"should be noted all the meanings to the word imply "something that was not possesed before" or in other words a new thing to the subject." - But there is no temporality, temporal succession in God, and because of God's perfection, immutability, and being an "actus purus" it is impossible that there was a time when he did not possess, lacked something.

""while "begotten" suggests an eternal relationship, with no beginning" - it really doesnt... "born" and "begotten" are used as parralels and basically mean the same, only slight variations" - God should not be understood with concepts taken from the created world and with logic (see Isaiah 55:8-9, Acts 17:29), so from the fact that e.g. people are born in time, it does not follow that when God begets "today", thus in his eternal-timeless reality, it also happens in time. Generation in the created world comes with a (temporal) "beginning", but within God, since there is no temporality, change, succession, no. At the same time, the concepts of "birth" and "begetting" are apt, since if a man begets, then not an ontologically inferior being is born from him, but also a human being.

""sharing the same divine essence with the Father." - but humans also share the divine nature with them? are they then God?" - The saved are God's adopted sons of God, and Sonship in the same sense as that of the Son is not declared about them. Eph 3:14 means that the faterhood of Father to the Son is the pattern, model to our adopted filiation, this is to be understood as Matthew 5:48.The adopted child is also an heir, and the Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our inheritance (Romans 8:17). In the writings of John, there is also a linguistic distinction: Jesus is the Son (huios), and we are the children (teknon). Divine sonship is the true characteristic of the believer's state. The grace transformation is indicated by being "born of God." Not by natural means, but by the gracious action of the Holy Spirit. The new birth happens through water and the Spirit (John 3:5), but for now, it is hidden and will only become evident when Christ appears, and we will see what we have become (1 John 3:2).

If you are referring to 2 Peter 1:4, it is about the essence of Christianity, that through redemption and sanctification, we enter into a relationship and communion with God, since through this we are born again as His children, and in this rebirth, God imparts His grace and, in a sense, Himself to us. However, this does not mean becoming gods, of course. The Greek Church Fathers used the term "theosis" to express the effect of grace, but it always remained a more neutral expression than the "deification" used in paganism. In the formulation of Paul the Apostle, the salvation of mankind became a reality through God's initiative in Jesus Christ, and everyone can attain it through faith (Romans 3:21), which includes repentance and forgiveness of sins. Baptism is a holy act that aims at perfection (Romans 6:4-10; Titus 3:12), so it is quite different from the deification in myths. In the writings of John, fellowship with Jesus establishes fellowship with God. The original model is the unity of the Father and the Son (John 10:30). We are in communion with God only analogically (1 John 1:3), and we remain in Him (2:5), but it is still a real life-communion, and alongside it, there is the hope of eternal life that is achievable for everyone. The characteristic features of "theosis" are: God remains as the creator and lord with absolute personal authority. His presence has an eschatological effect, pointing towards salvation, not an immanent mystical event. It contains the tension between the present and the future and the moral requirement. In this sense, the other statements in the Johannine literature should also be interpreted: being born of God (1 John 2:29), being children of God and being born again, putting on Christ (Galatians 3:27), and the formation of the new man (Ephesians 4:24). However, if you want to reduce the divine nature of the Son to this, you are on the wrong track.

"what about angels? (Who are literally called gods)" - Yes, I know this WTS argument in connection with John 10:30-36, but Jesus does not say that he is "god" only in the same sense as the angels and judges were called "elohim" in the Psalms. First it should be noted that while in the Old Testament this usage of the word "gods" (elohim) does occur, in the New Testament it does not, there are only two categories of "THEOS": 1. the one true God, and 2. the false gods of the pagans (possibly Satan, as "the god of this world "). In John 10 Jesus gave a parable to his accusers which means: if even they can be called gods (in a certain sense), then how much more the only begotten Son then? So it's clearly in the text He is God in a superior sense than the judges were called "gods" in the Psalm. In what sense namely then? He does not explain here exactly, but he makes it clear that it is not just in the same sense, but in a higher, superior sense. "Argumentum a fortiori" arguments are regularly used in Jewish law under the name kal va-chomer, literally "mild and severe", the mild case being the one we know about, while trying to infer about the more severe case. The Jews understood this and that's why they wanted to stone him "again" (v39).

"Athanasius was well known to state things that contridict the bible - you can research that yourself, infact he was sometimes downright dishonest." - This are not very specific statement, and anyway, no one claimed that Athanasius was infallible, but the Council of Nicaea was. And the truth of the Nicene Creed does not depend on the person of Athanasius.

"should also look up teh history of that councel.." - I did what are you referring to specifically?

""God created the time for man when He separated the days from each other " - dont think so, not according to other bible commentators and scholars.." - I did, and according to Christian teaching, time and temporality did not always exist (only God is eternal, nothins else, the time either), time is also God's creation, and "in the beginning" there was no time.

""the Son is begotten from the Father before all aions, not made" - meaning "the world" "the system of things" as in not time itself" - This term "system of things" occurs exclusively in the terminology of the Watchtower, so why do you claim that you are not a member of the JW denomination? But here, of course, we are not talking about the punctual English translation of the Greek word αἰών, but how do you accept the statement of the Nicene Creed that Son "was begotten from the Father, before all αἰώνs"?

"Jesus being the archangel would put him in an elevated class over the other angels that appeared after him." - Yet where does the Scripture call Jesus an archangel? The term "other" that I highlighted in bold is not in Hebrews 1, there it is contrasted with "all angels" and the Son is distinguished, and by definition he is not included among the angels And the archangel is just as much an angel as the archbishop is a bishop.

Where does the Bible declare that Son is the same as archangel Michael? Nowehere. Jesus Christ, "who is over all, the eternally blessed God" (Rom 9:5), "through whom everything was made" (Heb 2:10; cf. Jn 1:2-3), in whom "all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form" (Col 2:9), who is "the true God and eternal life" (1Jn 5:20), the "only Lord" (Jude 1:4), "the first and the last" (Rev 1:17-18; 2:8; cf. Is 44:6), "the Lord of lords and the King of kings" (Rev 17:14) cannot be identified with an angel, with Michael, who is "one of the chief princes" (Dan 10:13, cf. Hebrews 1). The New Testament never calls Jesus an angel (cf. Hebrews 1:5), let alone Michael.

The difference between Jesus and Michael is also well illustrated by their relationship with Satan: Jude's letter establishes the truth that Satan has greater authority than Michael. The apostle Jude writes that Michael "did not dare" to bring condemnation/judgment on Satan (Jude 9; cf. 2 Peter 2:11), but Jesus pronounced a clear judgment on him (Jn 16:11; cf. John 5:22, 27; 1 John 3:8; Col 2:15).

The verse they refer to (1Thess 4:16) is so forced that I can only marvel at anyone who falls for it. It does not say that the voice of Michael is Jesus's voice, but rather that it's the voice of the archangel, accompanying the arrival of Jesus. The phrase "His archangelic voice" is not present in 1 Thess 4:16, instead it simply states: "with the voice of the archangel." It continues to say "with the trumpet of God." Therefore, if Jesus, according to this misinterpretation, is an archangel, then the same logic proves His deity.

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

The doctrine states that God is completely unchangeable.

Already at the Council of Nicaea, anyone who says that the Son of God is changeable (against the Arians) is excommunicated. Similarly, at the Fourth Lateran and the First Vatican Council ("God is an unchangeable spiritual entity"). Opponents include not only the Arians but also pantheists, Gnostics, and even Orthodox Protestants, partly for supposed religious-moral interests: God changes His previous condemnatory attitude towards the penitent; and partly in the manner of the Arians: The Incarnate Word, in order to be a real human, renounces the excellences of his divinity, empties himself. The modern-day Jehovah's Witnesses also deny this, they have a deeply anthropomorphic image of God. They initially interpret the name YHWH as "I Will Become What I Choose to Become" or "He Causes to Become". The Watchtower's interpretation of the YHWH name comes from a Hebrew verb that means “to become" (ha·wah). However, it actually comes from the verb "yahway," which means "to be," "to exist." The Hebrew Bible explains it by the formula 'Ehye ašer ehye' ("I Am that I Am"). The word אֶהְיֶה‎ (’Ehyeh) is the first person singular imperfective form of הָיָה (hayah), 'to be'. So, God does not "become" anything, since he does not change. The Watchtower's image of God is anthropomorphic: He has a body, he literally dwells in the sky, he is not innately omniscient but has the "capability" to foresee "the future" if he so desires.

In fact God is the actuality of every actuality (or pure Act, actus purus) and the perfection of all perfections. God's immutability also follows from God's simplicity: He is the completion of existence (actus purus), therefore there is no potential existence in him that would still be waiting for unfolding or realization, likewise, he cannot lose anything. His existence and everything he possesses are with eternal necessity, and it could not be otherwise. He cannot gain anything new, neither in knowledge nor in value. His outward acts do not change Him either. The act of creation in Him is such a free act that has always been in Him, is one with his essence, and has its temporal effect outwardly. When he communicates himself in grace, it is not he who changes, but man enters into a new relationship with him and perceives his supernatural effects. The mystery of the Incarnation must be understood in the same way. It was not the deity or personality of the Son that changed, but the humanity of Christ entered into a unique relationship with him.

a) The Scripture generally states that God is always identical with Himself, unlike the creatures: "In the beginning, O Lord, thou foundedst the earth: end the heavens are the works of thy hands. They shall perish but thou remainest: and all of them shall grow old like a garment: And as a vesture thou shalt change them, and they shall be changed. But thou art always the selfsame, and thy years shall not fail." (Psalm 102:25-27) "Every best gift, and every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no change, nor shadow of alteration." (τροπὴς ἀποσκίασμα, James 1:17) Cyril of Alexandria comments on this: "But what else would it be than change and gross variability, if God were to migrate from potency to actuality?" (Cyr. Al. Dial. ad. ar. 2.) The Scripture even identifies the metaphysical basis of unchangeability: "I am the Lord, and I do not change". (Malachi 3:6; cf. Augustine, Sermo 7:7)

b) However, Scripture, more often in its usual method of discussion, concretely and in detail describes God's immutability in His individual actions and positions: "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor as the son of man, that he should be changed." (Numbers 23:19) "Though she remains the same, she renews everything." (Wisdom 7:27; cf. Sirach 42:16.) The Lord's plan remains forever, His heart's intent from generation to generation". (Psalm 33:11; cf. 1 Samuel 15:29, Proverbs 19:21) God alone is uncorruptible and immortal. (Romans 1:23, 1 Timothy 1:17, 6:16, Psalm 35:10)

Therefore, the strong anthropomorphisms and anthropopathisms of Scripture, especially the Old Testament (God shows anger, regret, etc., Genesis 6:6, Psalm 106:40, Hosea 1:6, etc.), must be measured and adjusted to the basic truth of faith of God's unchangeability. These, i.e., are spoken not because of the similarity of the observable effect to the emotion. Therefore, "God regretted making man" means: what God did because of the degradation of people shows effects like when people regret their actions. The church fathers specifically defend the unchangeability of God against the Arians, who distinguished the changeable Son from the unchangeable Father; against the Gnostics, who argue that God creates the world of spirits through emanations emitted from His own essence; and against the Stoics, who attribute emotions, passions, especially anger, to God; finally against the Patripassians. (See especially Tertullian, Prax. 17; Augustine, Civ. Dei XI 10 k.; XII 17, 2; Conf. XII 7; in Jn 23, 9.)

Reason thus concludes:

a) God is utterly simple. But what changes is essentially complex, at least metaphysically; because if change occurs, something remains and something else becomes (quidquid mutatur, quantum ad aliquid manet, quantum ad aliquid transit).

b) God is infinitely perfect. But what changes either gains or loses perfection; therefore, it is not the most perfect.

c) God is self-existing. However, what changes is changed by something else; therefore, the changer in his change is not self-existing but from something else. The first proof of God of Thomas Aquinas, infers the first unchangeable cause from the changing being (primum movens immobile). Denying or obscuring God's unchangeability falsifies the Catholic conception of God and sooner or later leads to monism; if God is changeable, then He is not wholly transcendent, but shares with that world which shares in its most noticeable property, changeability. A question arises here: If God is unchangeable, how does He change the things? According to Aristotle, God as a final cause moves the world: by attracting the spiritual heaven (the primum mobile) directly as a goal, which then communicates its movement to the other heavens and ultimately to the earthly beings; however, it itself remains motionless and inactive. According to Plato and the Platonic school of thought, in spite of His immutability, God as an absolute fullness of being is also absolute and constant activity. This is also the understanding of revelation: "Wisdom is quicker than any motion… she is one, yet can do all things; remaining in herself, she renews all things". (Wisdom 7:24–27) Here is the main weakness of Aristotle's conception of God.

Difficulties.

1. God is free in the creation, governance, salvation of the world, and in the establishment of the supernatural order of existence. But if He is free, He could establish another world and world order, and could govern the existing one differently. Therefore, He is changeable (at least in thought: He could change His intentions); or else, He is not free.

Solution: The essence of freedom is to take a stand based purely on the real value of things, excluding all foreign perspectives and influences not related to the matter. The more the decision is based on the actual value of things and the more full of mental energy it is, the freer it is; changeability is not essential; after all, the highest degree of experiential freedom, moral freedom, is manifested in the steadfast moral behavior of a mature character. Now, God makes His eternal decisions based on the fullest knowledge and assessment of all possibilities and perspectives, and with His absolute power, He carries them out exactly as He conceived them. Therefore, there can be no new perspective or event that He has not considered since eternity, and which could therefore prompt Him to revise His decisions; nor can any external difficulty or obstacle arise, which would induce Him to try to realize His plans in a different way. God's intentions are free; but precisely because they were born out of the fullest freedom, they are unchangeable. The decisions of creatures can be changed, partly because new perspectives may arise, which were not previously considered, partly because obstacles to realization may necessitate the modification of original plans.

2. God's outward works change. Not only does the world, maintained and governed by God, continually change in big and small ways, but God intervenes in the world's course through miracles, and what's more significant: He created the world in time, the second divine person became flesh in time. Therefore, if God continually creates new works in time, He does something He has not done before; that is, He changes.

Solution. Three aspects can be distinguished in God's outward activity:

A) The decision regarding outward activity. As an immanent fact of God, it is eternal and unchangeable.

B) The change; this takes place in God's works, it does not affect God Himself. With the creation of the world, with the incarnation of the second divine person, God Himself does not change; nothing new happens to Him; because this aspect: "in time" the world should be created etc. was also included in His eternal unchangeable decision; only the creature enters into a new relationship with Him, just as the Sun does not go through a change because it makes winter or summer on Earth.

C) The creation of the changing work, that is, the divine activity that carries out the eternal and unchangeable divine order relating to change. This activity, viewed from the side of God, is identical with God's essence and does not represent a change in God, but only in the result of divine activity. When a doctor not only prescribes medication for a patient but also specifies the time to take it, this provision is the cause of a change that occurs at a specific time; but when it occurs, it does not cause a change in the prescriber; and if the doctor's will were absolutely effective, the patient's time-bound medication intake would occur without the help of any foreign factor, simply as a result of that medical order. That is, the result appearing in time does not necessarily mean a change in the cause. The divine provisions containing changes, however, contain the change only as an intention, as a thought; even in humans, thoughts relating to change do not represent the same type of change for the thinker: if I decide to run, I am not physically running yet. In any case, it is not easy to imagine how the unchanging God creates changes; because our perception is stuck in the world of changes. But there is no logical stumble in the concept. Indeed, if we consider how difficult it is to conceptually process the concept of change, it is logically easier to conceive of God's immutability than the changeability of the creature. That's why the Eleatics and Plato considered being itself to be unchangeable, just like the thinkers of Vedanta.

3. In governing the world, God often adapts to the changing behavior of creatures: He hears the cry of the needy, gets angry at the sinner, is appeased against the penitent. So, He changes.

Solution. It's true, and indeed a matter of faith, that God behaves this way. However, these significant practical truths cannot be interpreted in a way that contradicts the equally fundamental, dogmatic assertion of God's unchangeability. Nor is it necessary, because God does not make and execute decrees on the course of the world in the manner of human beings. He does not first set certain goals and then search and select suitable means; He does not first devise the abstract universal law, and then tailor and apply it to specific cases. Instead, He relates and assigns all events to each other with one overview and decision, providing them with the appropriate levels of value, bringing every path and end, every goal and means, every individual being and individual case, and every general law into perfect harmony. No new element can then arise that was not already considered, which would subsequently require the course of the world to be supplemented or corrected. In this immutable eternal divine decree, every human need and every human prayer were taken into account, and the course of the world is aligned with it; every individual sin was known, and every aspect of the moral order has been adjusted accordingly: the merits and punishments, praises and reprimands, salvations and condemnations. Therefore, prayer, sin or repentance, justification or damnation does not change God, but the creature's relationship to God, in the words of St. Augustine: God "changes if you change"; "the same light is painful to the weak eye, pleasant to the strong." (August. Serm. 22, 6; cf. Trinit. V 16, 17; XIII 11, 15; in Jn 110, 6; Origen De orat. 3–15; Ambr. Noe et arca 4, 9; 45. § 3.)

4. If God is completely immutable, and looks down on the course of the world like some harsh formula or law, then the immediacy and intimacy of religious life freezes before His Medusa-like face. The harsh law and logical formula are deaf to pleas, unyielding to entreaty, indifferent to pain and misery, unresponsive to loyalty, trust, and sacrifice.

Solution. God is not a senseless harsh law, as Hegel's pantheism teaches, nor is He a Shylock who rigidly represents the letter of the law with merciless one-sidedness. Although He is entirely true and holy, meaning He is utterly devoid of caprice, irrationality, whim, or bias (there is no "irrational" or "non-putarem" in God, see Lk 20:15), He still stands as a Creator opposite each of His creatures, each of their existential moments. He created everything with the utmost care, wisdom, and gentleness; He is incomparably closer to each of His creatures than any two creatures are to each other, and therefore He has the most profound love and interest for all their manifestations, including their religious aspects. As an absolute personal being, He takes everything into account in its proper place and for its own value. The fact that He overlooks the entire order of existence does not diminish the strength of His devoted interest and sacred stance against any aspect of existence. Just because He sees the repentance of the sinner as well and incorporates it into His world plan, sin is no less abhorrent to Him; just because He has established the whole course of the world with all its aspects, the righteousness of the righteous and their plea do not become of lesser value to Him. It may happen to people that, due to their constraints, they do harm or injury despite their best intentions by handling a certain aspect one-sidedly (e.g., parents' monkey-love, a clumsy friend's desire to help at all costs); God, because He thinks about everything and everyone, judges man best in individual cases.

Indeed, God's immutability provides new and irreplaceable impetus to religious life. God's immutability is most directly manifested to man in the reliability of His promises and the immutable sanctity of His holy will, the moral law; thus, it is the root and foundation of trust in Him. True, God is not as malleable as humans, He does not adapt to the tastes and moods of people at any given time, and He is not willing to measure with the measures of humans. This is often unpleasant for humans, who, in their stubbornness, whimsicality, and weakness of principles, would inevitably like God to be less holy, to act according to less universal perspectives, and to become biased (see the vine-growers and the prodigal son's brother). But precisely because God is in no way similar to humans, the person leading a serious religious life is most effectively called upon to adapt to God in everything. Our only refuge against the stubbornness of our own nature and the transience of life is the eternal Silent Ocean of divine immutability, where all the noise of passions, party fights, and hustles fade away, where the tossing soul finds its peace. "And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever." (1 Jn 2,17; cf. 4,16.)

It is also dogma that God is eternal in absolute sense. This is a tenet of faith according to the teachings of the Nicene Creed, the Athanasian Creed, the Fourth Lateran Council, and the First Vatican Council, against all those who denied God's immutability and thus cast doubt on His eternity.

Divine eternity is God's perfection in relation to time, and it negates the following: that the divine existence has an end, a beginning, or a sequence; it affirms: God is the creator of time; it increases: whatever positive content is in time, it is infinitely present in God. Time is the real possibility of real connection between causes and effects; in God, who is the creator of time and eternal, timeless existence is not emptiness, but the fullness of activity, as Boethius's classic definition says: eternity is the complete and perfect possession of endless life (interminabilis vitae tota simul et perfecta possessio). And in this sense, God is eternal.

The Scriptures often denote a very long duration with the term "eternity" (עוֹלָם, αἰῶν = ἀεὶ ὂν, ἀίδιον), mainly infinity (e.g., Gen 17:8, Lev 3:17, Ps 5,12. In this sense, the Creed says: "I believe… in eternal life."), and that's why it often attributes it to creatures, especially spirits. (Mt 25:46, Lk 1:3 etc.) However, it calls God eternal in the above-defined sense, and Him alone; not formally, but in terms of content.

The Scripture denies the elements of time about Him: the beginning, the end, the succession, and declares Him to exist before all time: "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting thou art God." (Ps 90,2; cf. 2,7, 102,27.) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am." (Jn 8,58.) "I the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am he." (Is 41,4; cf. Gen 1, Ps 93, 102,26–28 Deut 32,40 Dan 7,99 [ʿatīq yōmīn, antiquus dierum, the ancient of days], Rev 1,4–18.)

God and time are not commensurate quantities: "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." (2 Pet 3:8; cf. Heb 1:10, Gen 1:14–19, Deut 33:26, Job 36:26, Ps 74:16, 90:4, 119:89–91, Is 43:3, 48:12, Jer 10:10, 1 Tim 1:17, Rev 4:8–11, 10:6.)

The Church Fathers, already against the pagans, emphasize and regularly discuss divine eternity, especially frequently and wittily by St. Augustine (Tatian. Graec. 4; Athenag. Legat. 4 10; Iren. III 8, 3; Tertul. Marc. I 8; III 28; Nazianz. Or. 38, 7; 45, 3; August. Conf. XI; Ver. relig. 49; in Ps 101: 2, 10 et al.).

Reason also sees that

a) eternity is the direct consequence of immutability. Time is indeed the measure of change based on succession (numerus motus secundum prius et posterius); there is no change in God, so there can be no time either.

b) It is also a consequence of self-existence: self-existence excludes in God the conjunction or succession of potentiality and actuality. However, time only exists with these: the present is potential compared to the past, the future compared to the present. Therefore, God is above temporality (Thom I 10; Gent. I 15 III 68.).

Questions.

The relationship of divine eternity to temporal entities. – God, by virtue of His eternity, is outside and above all time, but as its author, He is present at every moment of time; there is no moment in the flow of time, neither past nor present nor future, in which God does not exist simultaneously; in every actual or thought time, we must say: God is now. Some theologians (like Halens. Summa I 12, 1, 1.) call this God's always-existence (sempiternity) and rightly compare it with ubiquity (omnipresence). Thus, the eternity of God equals each moment of time and the entire timeline, and coexists with it; not like a long line is parallel to a shorter line, but like the center of a circle is with every single point and arc of the circumference (Anselm. Monol. 18; Thom Gent. I 66; Less. Perf. IV 4.). However, this relationship should not be understood as if a part of the timeline, or even the entire timeline, would correspond to a shorter or longer duration in divine eternity; there is no duration in God; eternity is not an infinite sum of durations, as Aureolus thought; time, as the projection of change, cannot be asserted about God in any form.

The coexistence of temporal things with divine eternity. – Temporal things, when they actually exist, are simultaneous with divine eternity. For God is present at every single moment and duration of time; therefore, every single temporal thing is also present before God at every moment of its existence and throughout its duration; and since the eternity of God does not allow time gaps, temporal things are present with the entire divine eternity throughout the duration of their existence; of course, not as commensurate quantities, not like a mayfly or a fly spends a period of time with a longer-lived human, but only as a creation, as a work that essentially and intimately depends on its creator, its thought and sustaining activity. Can it also be said that things are present not only during their actual existence but also before and after their existence with God's eternity, which has no past or future, but only an eternal present («nunc aeternitatis»), which extends over every created moment and duration of time with its power? Thomas Aquinas answers yes (Thom 1 dist. 19, 2, 2 ad 1.). Other theologians, however, see this as endangering both the temporality of creatures and the absolute simplicity of eternity, which excludes even the concept of time intervals.

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

Bernhardinus de Moor: Eternal Generation Defended against Arianism

But that Generation is overturned in the worst way: by the ancient Arians, having their name from Arius, a heretic of the Fourth Century, a Presbyter of Alexandria, ejected from the Church in the year 322, whose followers were in turn divided into various names and sects, and some receded farther than others and erred more grossly, as Ecclesiastical History abundantly shows. They maintained that the Son of God was created, ἐκ μὴ ὄντων, out of what was not, and so was a made God, less properly called the Son of God, not ὁμοουσίον/homoousios/consubstantial with the Father, yet in a more excellent manner than others, since He was the first, most glorious Creature, created before the Mosaic Beginning, yet no from eternity, but through which as an Instrument all other things in the Mosaic Creation were made. The Fathers condemned this error in the First Ecumenical Council, held in Nicea, metropolis of Bithynia, in the year 325. What is argued in favor of this error is of no great moment. Namely,

They Object: α. Proverbs 8:22, where the Septuagint has, Κύριος ἔκτισέν με, the Lord created me. But, I Respond,

a. These Interpreters did not enjoy the Holy Spirit’s inspiration and infallible guidance, and so they were able to err. Aquila,[1] Symmachus,[2] and Theodotion[3] better expressed the Hebrew קָנָנִי by ἐκτήσατό με, possessed me.

b. The verb κτίζειν, to create, is able also to be expounded in a looser sence concerning Generation, just as the words to Create and to Generate are also used interchangeably in other passages: thus וְעַ֥ם נִ֜בְרָ֗א, in Psalm 102:18, and a people which shall be created, is a people which shall be born. Contrariwise, the Generations, the nativities, of heaven and earth are put in the place of the Creation of the same, in Genesis 2:4, אֵ֣לֶּה תוֹלְד֧וֹת הַשָּׁמַ֛יִם וְהָאָ֖רֶץ. Now, how miserably the Fathers, on account of their ignorance of the Hebrew Tongue, torture themselves in resolving this doubt, BUDDEUS indicates in his Isagoge ad Theologiam universam, book II, chapter VII, § 4, tome 2, pages 1034, 1035.

They Object: β. That the Son of God is called in Colossians 1:15 πρωτότοκος πάσης κτίσεως, the firstborn of every creature; in Revelation 3:14 ἡ ἀρχὴ τῆς κτίσεως τοῦ Θεοῦ, the beginning of the creation of God.

I Respond,

a. That on the prior passage, a. ERASMUS on that passage suggests that the accent is able to be changed, and to be πρωτοτόκος πάσης κτίσεως, and that thus the sense is going to be, He first produced all things, and every creature was born of Him. He observes that what follows, that in Him were all things created, etc., verse 16, does not poorly cohere with this sense.

b. Others observe that the Son of God is here said to be begotten, not created, to have been before every creature, just as in verse 17 it is simply said πρὸ πάντων, before all things; and, that AMBROSE discoursed upon this opinion, the same ERASMUS just now cited advises. But this, according to the opinion of others, could be more easily admitted, if πρότοκος or προτερότοκος were read: but they think that a superlative in composition is never taken for a positive, and in comparison with other things is everywhere used of things of the same sort with which it is compared. Nevertheless, it is able to be considered, whether this criticism be more subtle than just, and whether this passage is able to be compared with John 1:15; 15:18

c. And so, with respect had to the superiority and privileges of the Firstborn formerly, they maintain that the Firstborn of every Creature is metonymically nothing other than the Lord of creatures: just as Cæsar was indeed the name of a family, which name adhered to Julius Cæsar on account of his birth from this family; but on account of the dominion that he here obtained, this cognomen was bestowed upon subsequent Emperors because of their succession in the same empire. CALVIN, Institutes of the Christian Religion, book II, chapter XII, § 4,

“I do indeed acknowledge that in the first order of creation and the whole state of nature Christ was put in charge of angels and men as head: for which reason He is called by Paul the firstborn of every creature, Colossians 1:15.”

And in § 7

“For Osiander[4] quite unadvisedly snatches at what no sane person will concede, that supremacy over the Angels does not agree with Christ, that they might enjoy Him as Prince, except as He is man. But it is easily elicited from the words of Paul, Colossians 1:15, that He, as He is the eternal word of God, is the Firstborn of every creature, not because He was created, or ought to be numbered among creatures: but because the whole state of the world, which sort from the beginning was manifest in consummate beauty, had no other beginning: then, that He, as He was made man, was the firstborn from the dead. For in one, brief context the Apostle sets forth both for consideration, that all things were created through the Son, that He might have dominion over the Angels: and through Him man was made, so that He might undertake to be his redeemer, Colossians 1:18, 16.”

Again, chapter XIII, § 2,

“Concerning the name of Firstborn they ignorantly agitate controversy. They allege that God ought to have been born immediately from Adam in the beginning, so that He might be the Firstborn among brethren. For Primogeniture is referred, not to age, but to degree of honor and eminence of virtue.”

Add FRANCISCUS JUNIUS’ Locos Communes theologicos, chapter XXVII, column 59, opera, tome 2; and especially WESSELIUS’ Nestorianismum et Adoptianismum redivivum confutatum, chapter XII, § 157-159, where you may read among other things:

“For no other reason does the Apostle call Him the Firstborn of every Creature, Colossians 1:15, than because He is the Lord of it. Which Universal Dominion, since it springs immediately from the creation of all things, Paul immediately subjoined in verses 16, 17, for through Him were all things created, etc. But, since that Same Dominion was first founded in the Superiority of His highest Deity and His Natural and eternal Filiation, Paul set down beforehand, who is the Image of the invisible God, etc. But I would have this especially to be observed, that a Genitive added to the word πρωτότοκος/firstborn, that is, when it connotes the genus that is rightly to be attended to, expresses, either the parent, as if I should say, He is the Firstborn of Abraham, of Jacob, of Mary; or collateral sharers of the same nature of Origin…. But the Genitive in this Title, the Firstborn of every creature, is not able to express the Parent, because thus the Son of God would be said to have been begotten of all created things; which is absurd and impious. Neither is it able to signify Collaterals, because then it would denote such Brethren as are of the same essence and specific generation from the Father with the Firstborn Brother…. Therefore, because the Genitive, of every creature, is here able to expres neither the Parent, nor Brethren and sharers of the same specific nature, one of which it ought to signify according to the common manner of speaking, if generation from the Father be connoted in this Title of Firstborn; with good reason I conclude that that Title, here given to Christ, does not connote His divine descent and generation from the Father, but only expresses His Dominion over every Creature, which He made and bears by the word of His power.[5] Certainly then all things flow easily in the Text and Context, when the Firstborn of every Creature is determined to be the same thing as the Prince and Lord of every Creature.”

And this exegesis is certain very probable. What things HERMAN VENEMA[6] discusses in Exercise IV de Vera Christi Divinitate, § 8, pages 157-159, are also able to be considered and weighed.

b. In Revelation 3:14 the Son of God is called,

a. not the Passive Beginning of Creation, but the Active, in comparison with Revelation 1:8; 21:6. Indeed, Christ is not able to be called the Passive Beginning of Creation, nor the first Creature; for either according to the human Nature He ought thus to be called, or according to the divine. But such He is not able to be called according to the human Nature; He is not the first Creature in this manner, but at length in the fullness of time He was made of a woman, Galatians 4:4: still less according to the divine Nature; for thus He is very God. But according to the same Nature not without contradiction and the greatest absurdity is Jesus able at the same time to be called God and Creature, since God and Creature are immediately and contradictorily opposed. According to the divine Nature was the Son of God before the beginning of the Creation, and that, not by Creation, but by divine Generation, Colossians 1:17; Proverbs 8:24-26. But He is the Active Beginning or the Efficient Cause of Creation, just as κτίσις also denotes Creation elsewhere, Mark 10:6;[7] 2 Peter 3:4.[8] And thus ἀρχὴ/beginning in Greek here shall come to the same sense as רֵאשִׁית in Hebrew, Proverbs 8:22;[9] it is also able best to be taken in this sense: let ARISTOTLE’S Metaphysics, book V, chapter I, be brought for comparison, in which he relates that all Causes are also ἀρχὰς:

πάντα γὰρ τὰ αἴτια ἀρχαί. πασῶν μὲν οὖν κοινὸν τῶν ἀρχῶν τὸ πρῶτον εἶναι ὅθεν ἢ ἔστιν ἢ γίγνεται ἢ γιγνώσκεται: τούτων δὲ αἱ μὲν ἐνυπάρχουσαί εἰσιν αἱ δὲ ἐκτός
    for all causes are principles. Therefore, it is common to all principles to be the first thing from which a thing either is, comes to be, or is known.

Or,

b. The beginning of the creation of God, will indicate the Prince, Lord of every creature; as ἀρχὴ/beginning is also found elsewhere in the place of ἄρχων/ruler, Ephesians 3:10;[10] Colossians 1:16:[11]and κτίσις signifies Creature, no less than Creation, Mark 16:15;[12] Romans 8:19-22;[13] Hebrews 4:13.[14]

Footnotes:

[1] Aquila of Sinope produced his Greek version of the Old Testament in the second century of the Christian era. Aquila’s translation champions the cause of Judaism against Christianity in matters of translation and interpretation. The product is woodenly literalistic.

[2] Symmachus (second century) produced a Greek translation of the Old Testament, which survives only in fragments. Symmachus’ work is characterized by an apparent concern to render faithfully the Hebrew original, to provide a rendering consistent with the rabbinic exegesis of his time, and to set forth the translation in simple, pure, and elegant Septuagint-style Greek.

[3] Theodotion was a linguist and convert to Judaism, who translated the Hebrew Scripture into Greek in the middle of the second century AD. His translation appears to be an attempt to bring the Septuagint into conformity with the Hebrew text.

[4] Lucas Osiander (1534-1604) was a Lutheran theologian. He produced an edition of the Vulgate with supplemental annotations and corrections, inserting Luther’s translation in the places in which the Vulgate departs from the Hebrew. He was also an accomplished composer of music.

[5] See Hebrews 1:2, 3.

[6] Herman Venema (1697-1787) was a student of Campegius Vitringa, specializing in Old Testament exegesis and Church History. He served as Professor of Theology at Franeker (1723-1774).

[7] Mark 10:6: “But from the beginning of the creation (ἀπὸ δὲ ἀρχῆς κτίσεως) God made them male and female.”

[8] 2 Peter 3:4: “And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation (ἀπ᾽ ἀρχῆς κτίσεως).”

[9] Proverbs 8:22: “The Lord possessed me in the beginning (רֵאשִׁית; ἀρχὴν, in the Septuagint) of his way, before his works of old.”

[10] Ephesians 3:10: “To the intent that now unto the principalities (ταῖς ἀρχαῖς) and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God…”

[11] Colossians 1:16: “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities (ἀρχαί), or powers: all things were created by him, and for him…”

[12] Mark 16:15: “And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature (πάσῃ τῇ κτίσει).”

[13] Romans 8:19: “For the earnest expectation of the creature (τῆς κτίσεως) waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. For the creature (ἡ κτίσις) was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, because the creature (ἡ κτίσις) itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation (πᾶσα ἡ κτίσις) groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.”

[14] Hebrews 4:13: “Neither is there any creature (κτίσις) that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.”

• Blotty
    Blotty

"they are not scholars, nor linguists, but WTS apologists" -

listing the ones that I have cited to you so far (in total, not in just this conversation):

Barclay, Robertson, Goodspeed, Moffat & Wallace are not apologists but well respected scholars (Wallace even has a specific qualification in koine Greek)

Greg stafford is not a WT apologist at all, but has good knowledge in Hebrew and Greek (has taken a class in both)

Benjamin Kedar kopfstein is a Hebrew proffesor at a university (has qualifications in Hebrew and has made favorable comments on the NWT OT, which he never made a statement about Prov, infact saying the opposite to you)

Beduhn (Who will be cited later) may not have specific qualifications in Greek, but teaches it in a university as his book says and is a historian

Edgar Foster is a scholar, and has qualifications (and a JW) check for yourself

Rolf (not yet cited) is a Hebrew prof

Examining the trinity (cites numerous scholars) in context - check for yourself (WT has never cited a scholar out of context as such, but has been misleading in alot of cases yes, granted)

Lesriv spencer: see above ^ (I dont know his qualifications)

not listing all the commentaries on Biblehub, non are JW, pretty sure some have qualifications though, you can look if interested, I have before but am not gonna do it again rn

and by saying what you said you disrespect ones who are self taught, like myself who are quite well versed in the languages (Greek is more my expertise, I personally find Hebrew difficult in some areas)

What are your qualifications? (with proof)

What were the nicene creeds qualifications?

Ill admit I have none, Im currently taking a class in koine Greek and for the rest am self taught..

Ill deal with this first argument tmr (probably, have other issues to attend, rather than idoits on teh internet), Its 11pm (Where I am) as Im writing this (last thing I wrote) and I have an early start

"even though in the time of the apostles there was no distinction between lowercase and uppercase letters" - the distinction in letters to distuinguish the sense in which the word is used. I do it commonly in my own writings tho not proper english when I refer to my actaul mother I capitlise the word but when I mean the catergory or classification I use lowercase - not misleading, common english idiom

"the burden of proof is on you, thus, being founded only in 1879" -

yet you call JWs arians... who existed long before 1879? nice way to avoidan easy scriptural reference which takes only 2 minutes

"Consequently, according to the Scriptures, only a Church that has continuously and visibly existed since the time of the apostles, with historical continuity, can be true." - yet what you claim wasnt fully established till atleast the 3rd (maybe 4th)

" If you claim that this strict terminological difference means nothing" - I dont actaully, teh significant difference is I (and Witnesses) claim that Jesus was the ONLY thing created directly by YHWH and teh rest was done via agency

"(=by/through Him) in John 1:3, but also with "en" (=in Him) in Colossians 1:16" - so agency & the "in him" is easily explained but I will get to that later

" The New Testament verses used by Jehovah's Witnesses to allegedly predict the alleged "great apostasy" do not claim that those specific false teachers will completely take over the Church to the extent that they will completely erase the "original" teaching without anyone noticing" - think you stretch what they have claimed a little too far.. can you cite your sources for this claim. (with surrounding context, Im asking for a long post now and link)

"if the Holy Scriptures say "THEOS" without the article ("HO", "the"), it actually means only a demigod, and only the form provided with the article ("HO THEOS") means full deity. " - they never claimed such a thing - you misunderstand what you quote, its a flexible principle - there are many places in teh bible where "theos" (or the other cases) do not have the article but have some other idication that it is definite including but not limited to, dative, genitive, prepositional or demonstrative (constructions) - the sense of the word should also be considered as in "Father" in John 8

" But there is no temporality, temporal succession in God...it is impossible that there was a time when he did not possess, lacked something." - precisicly my point, the very verb implies this meaning, therefore if you are 100% honest and this symbollically refers to the son - then there was a time he didnt exist or atleast wasnt with God.

"The context does not flatten the meaning of what Isaiah 44:24 states" - thats what you would like to think- in reality it does as the son and the angels are not in the context of the discussion, yet those scriptures I cited use a similar vein.

Just 2 lines down in Isaiah 44:24

“Who was with me?”

A very similar statement to the one you claim "the context does not flatten the statement" - well actually yes it does.. it restricts it to the subjects and God, the angels and the son are not in "sight"

Who was with God? The angels

Hebrews 3:4 so God made the Godhead?

" Association and typology is not identification" - Jesus identifies himself as the wisdom of God - you cant cherry pick outside texts from the bible and only use bits of them, you either believe Jesus is Wisdom in Proverbs 8 or you dont. no one else on here does.

I understand you might consider some cherry picking... however they omit whats not important, however you ask any to address those bits Im sure they would be more than happy too.

Hebrews 1:10 is slightly different, if it identifies Jesus as YHWH then it also identifies him as Solomon

"No one said that they invented it" - Trevor R Allin & others claimed this exact thing.. so you lie

"while "He caused/made me to be the beginning/principle" is grammatically more plausible with the double accusative construction." - really? check Biblehub and commentaries, alot would disagree.

"God should not be understood with concepts taken from the created world and with logic" - yet your using using logic... "by logic of this" in the previous paragraph

" I know this WTS argument in connection with John 10:30-36" - In John I say human judges were called gods... Im talking about other texts which I never specified - so you jump to conlcusions

"In what sense namely then?" - he was a divine being, they werent as plainly stated in other places in scripture..

"but the Council of Nicaea was." - really? not sure about that one, even the WTS doesnt claim to be infallable, the bible warns against this very behaviour.

"This term "system of things" occurs exclusively in the terminology of the Watchtower" - check Biblehub... your sadly mistaken

"so why do you claim that you are not a member of the JW denomination?" - covering almost every possible (most common) rendering of the word, as you yourself do...

""how do you accept the statement of the Nicene Creed that Son "was begotten from the Father, before all αἰώνs"? - like the commentaries on Bible hub say... go read (all of) them (all disagree with the "time" argument)

"Yet where does the Scripture call Jesus an archangel? The term "other" that I highlighted in bold is not in Hebrews 1" -

for

0.1) I refer you to my previous answer for Hebrews 1:5

1) The word other doesnt occur because an archangel is not an angel per-say, but a higher class of angels

2) allos is often ommitted where we would add "other"

Romans 9:5 is a highly debated text and the NET would actaully disagree, the immediate person referenced is not always the direct antecedent. (so would many others + many texts in the bible)

you omit part of Col 2:9 - selective quoting, "God was pleased"

"The difference between Jesus and Michael... Jude's letter establishes the truth that Satan has greater authority than Michael. The apostle Jude writes that Michael "did not dare" to bring condemnation/judgment on Satan ..., but Jesus pronounced a clear judgment on him..." (ellipsis added for sake of simplicity) - one plain statement, at one point Jesus didnt have authority - at another he did. Thers your answer, you can find teh rest yourself ;)

yet based on trinitarian logic, the similaritys between Jesus and Michel are huge - So I would say they are the same being - I can list the parralels, I can use your logic against you aswell.

1 thess 4:16 - should look up the idiom used in this scripture

"God is infinitely perfect. But what changes either gains or loses perfection; therefore, it is not the most perfect" - are you sure? I dont think thats 100% correct

• aqwsed12345
    aqwsed12345

Blotty

You just listed a bunch of names here, but without specifying when, where, and in what context they stated what, it's vague and imprecise. I highly doubt that any serious New Testament Greek linguist would ever claim that there is an aorist in John 1:1a ("en archē ēn ho Logos"). By the way, it contradicts that the WTS itself simply translates "ἦν" in the Greek text as "was" in the NWT, since the imperfect here corresponds to the English simple past.

In itself, self-taught knowledge does not in principle preclude someone from making relevant comments, but looking at the WTS apologist sites you also recommend, it is clear that they are looking for "evidence" for their "a priori" idea, rather than drawing conclusions from the evidence. For example, they quote the dictionary form of a certain word from a dictionary (which lists up to 8-10 different meanings), highlight the one they like in bold and underline, and then carry it around like a victory wreath saying "DO YOU SEE? Even according to 'the scholars' it can also be translated that way!" Well, this is anything but a scientific approach.

Furthermore, if someone does not have a scientific qualification and does not know the methodology of the given field, the studies that are born in it, he cannot even judge to what extent a study is an accepted consensus or not. A good example of this is George Howard's hypothesis, which he himself cautiously formulated as a suggestion (and most of his colleagues considered unfounded), yet the Watchtower has been bragging about his name for decades, at the same time creating the false impression that their method is based on scientific there is a consensus. Well, no, not by a long shot.

The lack of distinction between uppercase and lowercase letters is important, because the ancient reader reading the New Testament in the original could not have thought at all that if "THEOS" is mentioned in connection with Jesus, then some inferior demigod ("archangel") category must be thought of here.

This is even more so, since there was no canonized "Bible" in the first centuries, as we know it today, before the invention of book printing, mass production was out of the question, so the converts heard the Holy Scriptures not in writing, but orally. Faith comes from hearing, through the preaching of the apostles (Romans 10:17). The word was always preached by the apostles and not written down (1 Cor 15:1.11). Let the teaching that we heard from the apostles be our ideal (2Tim 1:13).

Accordingly, tinkering with initial letters is not only linguistically unfounded, but also anachronistic.

I don't call JWs "Arians" based on their organizational or doctrinal continuity with the 4th century Arians, but on the basis of their Christological similarity. The JWs have no doctrinal and organizational continuity, most of their specific teachings (two-class salvation regime, etc.) were never professed by anyone before, and even they only introduced them decades after their founding.

However, the true Church was not established in 1879/1881, but on the Pentecost of 33 AD. According to them, God had no people for almost 1900 years then. The followers of Chirst were simply called Christians in the NT (Acts 11:26), and according to Ignatius of Antioch the Church was called καθολικός since the Apostolic Age.

The fact that the Catholic Church was established in the 4th century can be, for example, Dan Brown says in The Da Vinci Code, but not a serious historian.

All Constantine did was free Christians from persecution and allow them to preach the gospel freely throughout the Roman Empire. He never combined the dogmas of the Church with politics and never interfered in the affairs of the Church or the Church in its political affairs. But we have already published many related articles on this question in more detail, especially on the role of Constantine the Great in the affairs of the Church.

In the Scripture itself, we can see that other emperors also show goodwill towards God's people, which the Scripture never condemned! Take the Persian ruler, Cyrus, for example. The Scriptures say that God moved the heart of Cyrus (an idolatrous king!) to rebuild the destroyed temple of God in Jerusalem and even return the sacred vessels that Nebuchadnezzar had stolen (Ezra, chapter 1). Does the idolatrous king's favor to the Jews (especially to rebuild God's temple) prove that Israel was at that time turned away from the truth? The Scriptures clearly answer NO, because God said this about the idolatrous king Cyrus: “He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please; he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,” and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid." (Isaiah 44:28). So the Scriptures clearly indicate that God can use even worldly powers to accomplish His will (Proverbs 21:1). The same thing happened with Constantine the Great: God turned the favor of the idolatrous emperor in favor of the Christians and used him as an instrument to end the state's persecution of the Church and allow the Gospel to spread unhindered throughout the Empire.

That the teaching of the Christian Church has "changed" or "corrupted", especially that the Church was created then, is completely unfounded. The apostles wrote about the True Church that it will remain unbroken until the coming of Jesus, and although false teachers come and go, they will never take over the Church, which "not even the gates of hell can prevail against". Consequently, true Christianity did not need to be "restored" by anyone in modern times.

That the only difference between "born" (tikto) / "begotten" (gennao) and "created" (ktizo) / "mae" (poio) is that the former is "directly" created, the and the latter with the "help" of an archangel, but what supports that beyond the Watchtower ideology? I don't see any substantive, qualitative difference between the "direct" and "indirect" creation, which would justify the strict distinction in word usage that we can read in the NT. Also: if the fact that the Son is only a creature and an angel is such an important and clear teaching, why does the Scriptures not state this ANYWHERE. Taking into account other statements, it stands out much more that the origin of the Son is quite different from the Father, qualitatively different from the creation of creatures.

""But there is no temporality, temporal succession in God...it is impossible that there was a time when he did not possess, lacked something." - precisicly my point, the very verb implies this meaning, therefore if you are 100% honest and this symbollically refers to the son - then there was a time he didnt exist or atleast wasnt with God." - However, the book of Proverbs is part of wisdom literature, and during the exegesis of the Holy Scriptures, the context, the role of the given book in the whole revelation, and its genre characteristics must always be taken into account. In Proverbs 8, if you read it all the way through, it cannot be evaluated as a definitive revelation of doctrinal truth at all, but rather a literary twist, and nowhere is there any indication that this happened in time. The following text lists a number of other verbs which also indicate that the statement "CANANI BRESITH DERCHO" here does not prove the Arian thesis that there was a time when Wisdom did not exist. This is personification and a literary genre.

It is also an absurd statement that God was not always wise and was not always Father, which follows from the principle of immutability of God. God has no beginning, end, or succession of moments in his own being, and he sees all time equally vividly, yet God sees events in time and acts in time. By saying that God is eternal we mean that in essence, life, and action He is altogether beyond temporal limits and relations. He has neither beginning, nor end, nor duration by way of sequence or succession of moments. There is no past or future for God — but only an eternal present. If we say that He was or that He acted, or that He will be or will act, we mean in strictness that He is or that He acts; and this truth is well expressed by Christ when He says (John 8:58 — A.V.): "Before Abraham was, I am." Eternity, therefore, as predicated of God, does not mean indefinite duration in time — a meaning in which the term is sometimes used in other connections — but it means the total exclusion of the finiteness which time implies. God coexists with time, as He coexists with creatures, but He does not exist in time, so as to be subject to temporal relations: His self-existence is timeless.

In Isaiah 44:24, the most important part is not "Who was with me?", but that YHWH God "alone" "by himself" created the world. So angels may be ascribed presence, but not participation in the work of creation. If YHWH God creates with the "help" of an (arch)angel (now this is another question, that is also a conceptual impossibility), then the statement that he created "alone" is not true. If I claim that I built the house "alone", but in fact an "agent" did it, then I can hardly say that I built it "alone".

The fact that YHWH God creates "alone", i.e. without the "help" of angels, archangels, or secondary creator agents, is stated in the Scriptures in other places as well, cf. Job 9:8, Neh 9:6, Isa 45:12, 48:13, Psalm 95:5-6. Hebrews 1:10 explicitly states that Jesus' participation in creation is not just a secondary "helping agent" role. So if the Son is creator, and "only" YHWH God creates, then it also follows that the Son is also a true and real God. Hebrews 3:4 says the same thing: the one who creates, is God.

Neither Jesus nor the apostles identified the wisdom in Proverbs 8 with the Son by letter. Moreover, Proverbs 8 is nowhere cited in the New Testament. This is a typology that occurs frequently in the New Testament. If you were to take the countless statements about "wisdom" in the Old Testament and apply them all to Jesus, you would probably come up with quite absurd conclusions.

Catholic theology does not define the concepts of God based on the created world, it draws analogies, strictly stipulating that we can only talk about God analogically.

The infallibility of the Nicene Council and the ecunemical councils follows from the fact that:

• Mt 28:20 - Jesus promised: he will be with us forever, every day.
    • Lk 10:16 - Christ speaks through the Church.
    • Jn 14:26 - The Holy Spirit teaches us everything and brings everything to our mind.
    • Jn 16:13 - Through the Holy Spirit we come to know the whole truth.
    • Acts 15:28 - The apostles make decisions with the help of the Holy Spirit.
    • Jn 14:16 - The Holy Spirit remains with the Church forever.
    • Eph 3:9-10 - Through the Church, God's manifold wisdom has been revealed
    • 1 Tim 3:15 - The Church is "the pillar and sure foundation of truth."
    • 1Jn 2:27 - He teaches the Church through the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
    • Acts 16:4 - believers must keep the decisions of the apostles, councils and superiors.

The exact translation of the word αἰών is difficult because these are ancient Greek concepts, which can be roughly described as: "the worlds", "the eras", "the ages", etc. By definition, it also includes the time, the temporality, which is also a created reality. The Council of Nicaea asserts (in Greek) that the Son begot from the Father before all αἰώνs (plural). You can hardly refute this statement in Greek on the basis of the New Testament, once it claims that even they were created by the Son.

An archangel is not fundamentally different from an angel, since an archangel is also an angel, just as an archbishop is a bishop. The WTS' claim that there is only one archangel (Michael) is also not true, since the Scriptures reveal that Michael is just "one of the chief princes" (Dan 10:13), so there are several spirit creatures of the same rank as him, i.e. archangels. Even the ancient Jewish tradition also always spoke of several archangels. The "arch-" prefix does not denote a difference in nature, but the priority of the task/mission, so it is a question of respect here, not of two separate "angel species".

"you omit part of Col 2:9 - selective quoting, "God was pleased"" - In addition to the fact that the Nicene Christology also affirms that the Son received both his existence and divinity from the Father (however, not in time and not in an accidental way, which can be peeled off from him, in an ontologically inferior way), the 1:19 cited here by the Watchtower, the Greek text has no trace of it being an accidental will of the Father, on the contrary, the Fullness wanted it that way: "hoti en autō eudokēsen pan to plērōma katoikēsai". This fullness is, according to the immediate precedent, the fullness of deity, not some vague, diffusive, and indistinct divine "nature" fullness. Your denomination is trying to restrict this to some undefined attributes, which the apostle does not do.

"at one point Jesus didnt have authority - at another he did." - The dual nature of Jesus can indeed be significant, but it can only be understood after his Incarnation, his becoming flesh, the scene described in Jude 9 about the dispute over the corpse of Moses, by definition, is dated to the time immediately after the death of Moses, by definition long before the incarnation of Jesus. So, at the time of Moses' death, Michael had no authority condemn Satan. And Jesus only at his incarnation was made "lower than the angels" (Hebrews 2:7)

1 Thessalonians 4:16 speak generally, without an article, "en phōnē archangelou" (with voice of (an) archangel), and does not call Jesus' voice the voice of the archangel at all.

By saying that God is eternal we mean that in essence, life, and action He is altogether beyond temporal limits and relations. He has neither beginning, nor end, nor duration by way of sequence or succession of moments. There is no past or future for God — but only an eternal present. If we say that He was or that He acted, or that He will be or will act, we mean in strictness that He is or that He acts; and this truth is well expressed by Christ when He says (John 8:58): "Before Abraham was, I am." Eternity, therefore, as predicated of God, does not mean indefinite duration in time — a meaning in which the term is sometimes used in other connections — but it means the total exclusion of the finiteness which time implies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit