How do I find God if I want to find him?

by Singing Man 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

Yes, I have many times asked this of my self. After leavening the Witness's its been hard, I think Ewww I am no good cause unless I am attending the kingdom hall I won't have Gods grace and he won't hear my prayers or anything. Boy they sure had me, being raised a Witness sticks with you long after you leave in ways you think it never would and in ways you just can't can't flush.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Singing Man,

I can't say where to find him. He seems elusive, doesn't he?

However, it can be stated with certainty that God is NOT to be found in the Kingdom Hall or the WT organization. It takes time to overcome that way of thinking I'll admit, as I too was raised in the Borg and have been fully out about 3 years. The "WT way of thinking" wears off over time as you develop new habits and your former "good" Watchtower habits are spoiled by bad association.

If Jehovah were in the WT organization, there wouldn't be all the scandals including the recent pedophilia cover-up, and they wouldn't keep pushing false dates with the purpose of motivating their rank and file to serve them.

You and I were free labor for a major religious publishing firm. What's God got do with it?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

God has nothing to do with religion. God is something that you have to find within yourself. Explore and develop your own spirituality without religious influence and that is the best spiritual experience you can have.

Will

• Satanus
    Satanus

I gotta agree w penwell. You won't find him in buildings or orgs. As to specific practices to help you in your search, meditation and chanting have helped for some. You could do a net search using a phrase like meditating on god, or something like that. Here is an example: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=+%22meditating+on+god+%22++-bible+-word

Preconcieved ideas and images can be obstacles.

SS

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Sing, you have received some wise advise. I was raised in the Borg myself; and yes the programming is deep and intense with fear of a god who will kill you if you do not obey. It may help in your search for Truth/God to first research how the concept of Jehovah the God of Armies came about (there is a ton of information out there); and do so until you are completely satisfied that he is indeed not the Truth that you seek. This will alleviate much fear, and provide you with new energy for your search. Trust that the Truth that you seek can be found. The hunger that you feel for God, for wanting to find God, is the Truth calling you. It is a gift, though it can be very painful at times, like a fire. For me it was important to come to a realization that the Truth that I sought was not out-there, in religions and belief-systems, books or other people. What I yearned for was something deeply intimate, closer than close. I did not know or understand what was sought really, but knew that I would know it when It was found (It, would have to be as real as the sense of existence). The unspeakable and indefinable sense of existence -- do we really, honestly know anything else is true? There is a valid and undeniable sense of conscious presence. Without it, nothing would exist. Start here. Go deeper into the sense of your own being. Look closer and closer. See that thoughts and emotions are but passing clouds on the screen of pristine conscious-presence. Turn attention inwards. Find the Center of your yearning and hunger to know God/Truth. Follow that Light. You need nothing else. You're on your way -- already. JamesT

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

You need the God Detector!

http://www.yo-god.com/

• berylblue
    berylblue

Look who is back!!! James T...always great to see you.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hey, thanks, funky! I've just ordered a dozen boxes of "The God Detector"

I'm gonna super-glue the 240 God Detectors to strategic places on my person and settle the "Does God Exist?" argument once

and for all!

Comprehensive reports of my findings will be available at the reduced price of $20.00 to JWD members. Watch this space for details

of how you can take advantage of this special offer. I think I'll give God about a month to show up. Naw, he's God ain't he? Should

only take him about a couple of milliseconds. Tell you what, let's give him the benefit of the doubt (!) if he ain't here by this

time next Saturday, he's a fraud!

Spanner

• kj
    kj

God is everywhere, and He will hear your prayers wherever you are if you are sincerely seeking Him. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. He is not in a building or organization. Just keep praying, He will lead you where you need to go. I know it sounds too easy, but I know from experience. I was living at home with my JW mother and my Bible Student father, and God did not choose to reach me through either of them. Read the Bible (not the NWT!), and don't let anyone tell you it is not written for you or that you need someone else to tell you what it says.

kj

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

Thanks you guys, your all so good to me. I hope this web site never goes away, it has been there for me many times even if I never be came someone who contributed to it. Basicly I was a Jehovah's Witness who almost took his life after finding myself disfellowshipped during very bad part of my life. Now when I think of being a Jehovah's Witness it feels like looking at the grand canyon full to the rim with black tar.

Shane,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit