News and Iraq

by Yerusalyim 20 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Shamus,

You are correct, those who want Saddam back are less than 50% in fact it's well below 20%. In fact, the only ones who want him back are SOME of those that benefited by his reign. Apparently the folks at Zogby and Gallop were questioning different people...Zogby showed that most wanted the americans there...and didn't view us as conquerors at all.

Correction, I don't know if I said it wrong or if you understood me wrong...Iraq will have a constitution in 6 months...written by Iraqis...with elections to follow after...but complete self rule...well, let's put it this way...we'll be in Iraq for many years to come...though our presence will decline. Remember, we "occuppied" Germany after world war two up into the present.

Yes, it is Iraq's oil so no, we can't take it. Using the oil money to help rebuild good idea...premuim discount to the US for our oil reserves...great idea...hydrogen fuel cells SUPER idea.

• c5
    c5

Yeru,

I agree wholeheartedly. I have contacts out there in Iraq right now, and I write to many of the soldiers. They all agree that the media over here is not conveying the truth. Iraqi's overwhelmingly support us there. The good is seldom reported.

Cari

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Maybe for once the media is reporting objectively both sides of a story instead of only reporting what Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld want us to hear. I would think you would know after being in a closed minded cult like the dubs, there are always two sides to every story.

Will

• shamus
    shamus

Irongland,

I mis-understood your post. I totally agree with you there... sorry about the confusion.

Yeru,

See, we agree on a lot of points here! And, yes, there are some good stories coming out of Iraq that nobody ever hears about. Absolutley! The media does only focus on the bad.... but, there is quite a lot of bad over there right now. True, maybe they should focus a bit more on the good things...

Now, the thing that I kind of debate with you here is how people in Iraq and the world feel about America. It is their viewpoint that is critical here. They take things such as occupation as a PERSONAL INSULT, (sorry, i'm not yelling), it is making them feel like they are second-class human beings in the grand scheme of things. They cannot get their "crap" together, and need America to help them out to live... in other words, a slap in the face. This is a slap in the face for sure! If America wanted to save face with them, they would invade, get Saddam, get a government in there ASAP, and get out all in 3 months,,,, something that would be far more than a challenge, I can assure you.

In other words, American hostilities will increase, no matter what the outcome, not just in Iraq but in the whole moslem community. That is where the problem is; seeing both sides of the coin. Understanding their feelings. Understanding how to treat these people.

In other words, the war should never have happened in the long run. Things would have been better with Saddam in power, and America keeping up the pressure and swallowing its pride. Nobody likes a government that has too much pride, and everyone knows that. Now that Mr. Bush has gone ahead with this act, it is to the detriment of all Americans in world view.

That is not good, Yeru. America, population wise, is quite small in relation to the rest of the world.

When people get sick of America because of too much "pride", backlashes begin. I would never say that I understand a terrorist, but you can see possibly now just how they work. Add in with a moslem an extremist attitude and WHAM! You have sept. 11. Horrible but true.

Sept. 11 started 25 years ago in Afghanistan when America abandoned the Afghanistan people. They did it in other countries, too. Now you have hatred of America.

Add in the extremists in afghanistan and there you go.... Sept. 11. It was the only way that they could get revenge in the extremist Moslem community.

Everything that you or I do comes back and bites us right in the ass, believe me.

Any thoughts on how I am thinking here?

• jelly
    jelly

Because the target audience of CNN, ABC, ETC, ETC does not want to hear good news on Iraq. They think good news is bad news. Fox is afraid of getting labeled a 'right wing' news station so they are not touching it.

In short, why is the media only reporting bad news from Iraq. Because the media and the global left only want to read bad news from Iraq and they will accept nothing else. Any victory for Bush is a bitter pill for them to swallow.

• 1.5 million Afghanistanies have re-entered Afghanistan since the war ended (they are voting with their feet, and they are saying their country is getting better)
    • More people died in Europe from the heat wave last summer than died from that Afghan winter (91-92) that was supposed to be such a human rights crisis
    • You could go on forever, but nearly every wild-ass claim made by the left has come to nothing but facts dont matter to the left its all emotion. Remember the Micheal Moore thread, even when some people were shown its all lies they still stated it had 'value' because he made 'good points' --
    • In short to the left truth does not matter, just propaganda to support the preconcieved ideas

Terry

• Dawn
    Dawn

Yeru: Thank you for the post. It's good to hear that the majority of the Iraqi's support this.

Shaumus: The oil does not belong to America. It belongs to Iraq. The Iraqi's are not responsible for the Americans actions - I agree with you completely.

I don't know if we should have gone into Iraq in the first place. But now that we have - I think it is our responsibility to finish the job of rebuilding and to support our troops still over there.

• bebu
    bebu

My husband is helping to deploy soldiers from Iraq, and he tells me that they are very discouraged--because of the media! Soldiers say that the Iraqi people are much more supportive than the media here portrays. There is obviously a media bias present. Progress is being (intentionally?) overlooked... why?

bebu

• Simon
    Simon

It's a well known fact that the media is only telling the truth when they are reporting what you want to hear

Any bad news is lies and any good news is not emphasised enough.

Tell me, how much coverage does Afghanistan get nowadays? That's all sorted and good news ... right?

I guess you can count the 'good news' coming out of Iraq by the number of body bags coming back. Even they are not getting the eadlines now though.

Last I read was that the retired generals who had been mocked for criticising the war plan at the time have now been largely vindicated - it did lay the seeds of ruin in that the country was not cleared of hostile forces in the rush to Bahgdad and now the price is being paid.

If you really believe that the Iraqi people love America then you are madder than I thought.

• jelly
    jelly
    how much coverage does Afghanistan get nowadays?

1. 1.5 mil. Afghan citizens have returned to their country. If its so bad why did they go, do think maybe its because its better their now.
    2. I know the killer winter that was supposed to be a great humanitarian crises is quite overdue.
    3. Girls going to school.
    4. Problems, still great, but better than it was and as good as can be expected. Unless of course your only standard for success is perfection than you will never be satisfied.
    by the number of body bags coming back.

1. Not sure what to make of this, you see the left was screaming that Iraq was going to be like Stalingrad with 100k dead, that never happened so are you complaining that so few Americans died when compared to you original estimates?
    2. People on the right always knew there would be casualties but thought and still do the war was worth it, its the left that thought the price would be too high (@100K).
    Last I read was that the retired generals who had been mocked for criticising the war plan at the time have now been largely vindicated

1. What planet are you on?
    • Bush's war one of the most sucessful ever
    • Compare Iraq with postwar Germany
    • There are still American troops in Kosovo 5 years later
    • You call Bush a failure because you create impossible standards, standards that have changed dramatically from the prewar claims
    it did lay the seeds of ruin in that the country was not cleared of hostile forces in the rush to Bahgdad and now the price is being paid.

1. Most of the actions now are from people from other countries, not Iraq. But this is a mute point because you will never accept this.
    If you really believe that the Iraqi people love America then you are madder than I thought.

1. Same thing was said about the Japanese
    2. We dont care if they like us thats not why we are there
    3. I actually like Iraqis better than Euros

Terry

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

They see the "occupation" as a personal insult? Gallop poll shows the Iraqis see us as an occupying force? Try this Iraqi poll taken by Gallop

http://www.gallup.com/subscription/?m=f&c_id=13919

Government & Public Affairs 9/23/2003
    Ousting Saddam Hussein "Was Worth Hardships Endured Since Invasion," Say Citizens of Baghdad
    In the first rigorous, scientifically conducted sampling of public sentiment in Iraq, residents of the country's capital say -- by a 2-to-1 margin -- that the ousting of Saddam Hussein was worth any hardships they might have personally suffered since the U.S. and British-led invasion.

Yet, where have any of you seen or heard that in the media?

Last I read was that the retired generals who had been mocked for criticising the war plan at the time have now been largely vindicated - it did lay the seeds of ruin in that the country was not cleared of hostile forces in the rush to Bahgdad and now the price is being paid.

Which general is that...Les Clark...ummm nope...that guy and every other general I heard criticize the war was just plain wrong...name me the one that was right...what he said...and how it came to be.

The trouble is mostly north of Baghdad not south. The "forces" alligned against us are largely foreign fighters and some hold out Saddam loyalists being paid about $5000 per attack...they're finding large sums of cash on most of the guys we cap and capture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit