current JW's, asking a question...

by jwbot 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

Are there any current Jehovahs Witnesses here?

What are your reasons for being here? To find like minded people? To argue with those that oppose? To seek answers to questions? To share your doubts?

I am just very curious. Thanks!

• Badger
    Badger

jwbot:

It's mostly to vent. As stated before, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the organization, but I'm trying to see if I can reconcile my doubts with staying in. I'm tyring to get a feel for what others had gone through, good and bad. I also feel compelled to share tales from the front in the congregation, to let those out know what's happening on the inside at the lowest level.

I'm also driven by objectivity. I'm not interested in what outright oppossers have to say, but I feel that those who gave the organization a chance have the most to say about it. I've gotten the party line, I've read the Bible and talked with friends. As much as the FDS would compell me not too, I don't feel any decision I make would be valid if I didn't at least give the other side a fair case.

My faith in Jehovah hasn't been damaged like some would think...It's actually been strengthened.

Oh, and joannadandy's pic is a good reason to visit, too.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am still fairly active -- I like to seek truth -- that is why I am here -- OK Simon might edit for bad language but what is put on this board does not have to be approved by the Governing Body first -- I hear ideas , I get great information, great references -- and above all they are great people on this board -- not shallow with no thinking ability -- I like strong people who can think for themselves (and by people I mean people and that especially means women - their voice is not heard in the organization which pisses me off - why cut off the opinions of two thirds of the membership) -- hope that answers your question.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Badger, you know what happens when you read too much apostate information, don't you?

• Badger
    Badger

Sure, same thing when you look at any information...you learn.

• not_tellin
    not_tellin

Oooooh, that's a really good question. I wonder how many will honestly respond . . .

Ok, I'll bite. I'm a current JW in "good" standing, and I'm here because I have doubts. Lots of them. I had always been able to rationlize them but the question I coudn't get rid of was, "What are they (the Society) so afraid of? What information is out there that is so powerful that they have to try so hard to supress it?"

I came to realize that an organization that has such interest in supressing information and silencing dissent can't really be trusted to tell the truth about its self. I would have to go elsewhere to get a more complete picture of what this organization was really all about. So, I ended up here.

I've gotten a much different outlook on the outfit over the last few months. Not too many answers, but at least some validation that I'm not the only one with these questions. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the questions though . . .

Oh, I also ran into someone on this board that I knew in the org before they "went off the deep end", as I thought of it at the time. I had never been able to understand what happened to them before, and I gained some real insight from finally being able to hear their side of the story. Why they left, what they went through, etc. . . . It was a real eye-opener.

• amac
    amac

I am still in good standing and make about 30-40% of the meetings, but only because I have so many friends and family that are JWs. As far as beliefs go, pretty much everything I was taught growing up is now bollocks. I made a point of deciding this on my own through personal bible study so no one can say the "evil apostates" influenced me.

• not_tellin
    not_tellin

Sub-question:

Are there any current JW's on this board who are married? and does your spouse know about your doubts?

p.s. Is it bad form to use someone else's thread to post your own questions? If it is, sorry! I'm new at this.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Badger and not_tellin

I admire both of you for having the courage to come to internet sites such as this one, when the Watchtower Organization seems to be doing everything in its power to prevent active JW's from listening to "opposers of the truth".

I'm a current JW in "good" standing, and I'm here because I have doubts. Lots of them. I had always been able to rationlize them but the question I coudn't get rid of was, "What are they (the Society) so afraid of? What information is out there that is so powerful that they have to try so hard to supress it?"

This describes perfectly how I felt a couple of years ago. What are they hiding from? If this is the truth, then it should withstand criticism, right?

Crisis of Conscience is the name of a book written by Ray Franz, nephew of the late Fred Franz. He was a Governing Body member for 9 years, until getting disfellowshipped in 1981. The book is both a personal account and an examination of Watchtower history, teachings, and practice. It is extremely well-written, not at all hateful or spiteful. Check it out, if you are so inclined. Take care.

• Phil
    Phil

I am still in good standing and make about 30-40% of the meetings, but only because I have so many friends and family that are JWs. As far as beliefs go, pretty much everything I was taught growing up is now bollocks. I made a point of deciding this on my own through personal bible study so no one can say the "evil apostates" influenced me.

I suppose one could say the evil apostates opened your eyes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit