Similarities Between JW's & Mormons

by Sea Breeze 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Over the years, I have found it helpful to see the similarites between JW's and Mormons to help me understand what happened to me and my family as JW's.

Robert Bryan discusses this in one of the best presentations I have heard on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOK7e3UTzY8&ab_channel=BibleReady

• waton
    waton

Fisherman you should know that: Gal. 1:8.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Robert explains how as a Mormon, he was utterly sure that he knew all there was to know about the bible and everyone else was simply deceived. That is EXACTLY how my JW family was.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Sea Breeze;

I'm in 100% harmony with what you just said, Big time!!!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SEA BREEZE:

Yes, that was my observation when I was in the Witness religion:

They were so arrogantly sure and felt the rest of the world was wrong.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Like I keep saying, the LDS is the WTS’s nicer but weirder older cousin.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

More similarities than most JWs will admit. WTC needs to get into the inner garment business - that's where there is some money still to be made for their 4.5 million members.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''WTC needs to get into the inner garment business - ''

You can say that again. With how out of touch when it comes to some of what their people wear.

• TD
    TD

Both groups have a love affair with ancient Judaism for some strange reason. The Mormons believe the Aaronic Priesthood was conferred upon Joseph and Hyrum Smith by the angel Moroni. The JW's regularly attempt to interpret the Law, sometimes in ways that would make a Pharisee cringe. (A good example is their stance on autologous transfusion)

Both groups have a fascination with ancient texts, but paradoxically, are not terribly knowledgeable about them. A Greek expression used by one and only one Bible writer is sprinkled throughout the Book of Mormon, which should set off alarm bells, but doesn't (The only way it could have gotten there is via the AV) There's nothing unusual about meeting an Evangelical Christian who can at least muddle his way through 1 John. It's very, very unusual to meet a JW who can.

Both groups believe they are chosen by God in a special way that sets them apart from other people. Both groups believe they are better people (morally and intellectually) than those in other religions, which (not surprisingly) results in a stunning level of arrogance.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Both groups claim that they are chosen by God, making them apart from other people.

Then you get contradictory beliefs and they often trip over their own beliefs. Common of man-made organizations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit