Attention

by oldcrowwoman 12 Replies latest jw friends

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

"To have one's individuality completely ignored is like being pushed out of life. Like being blown out as one blows out a light." ---Evelyn Scott

We need to know that we matter in this life. We need evidence that others are aware of our presence. And thus, we can be certain that others need the same attention from us. When we give it, we get it. So the giving of attention to another searching soul meets our own need for attention as well.

Respectful recognition of anothers's presence blesses him or her. And we help one another grow, in important ways, each time we pay the compliment of acknowledgement.

We're not sure, on ocassion, just what we have to offer our friends, families, co-workers. Why we are in certain circumstances may have us baffled, but its quite probable that the people we associate with regularly need something we can give them; the reverse is just as liklely. So we can begin with close attention to people in our path.. It takes careful listening and close observation to sense the message another soul may be sending to our own."

" I will be conscious of people around me. I shall acknowledge them and be thankful for all they are offering me"

"Each Day a New Beginning"

OCW

• berylblue
    berylblue

Yes?

• Robdar
    Robdar

The next thing she is gonna want us to do is salute

• shamus
    shamus

You have it!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

alt

SIR, YES....SIR !!

• blondie
    blondie

Bill Dana--or Jose Jimenez, I love you!

• Loris
    Loris

People really do need to connect with each other.

When we or someone else says, "hello" or "Hi, How you doin'" it is not meaningless wasted words. It is a reaching out to make a connection, albeit brief. It is a feeler to see what response we get. Is the other person a friend or foe? Our eyes meet, a smile is exchanged, a nod of recognition. These things are very important to our well being.

The other day as I watched the news they were doing a piece on why someone helps a total stranger or the opposite, why someone will ignore the plight of a stranger. They set up a test on the beach. They went to a crowded beach, laid down a towel and left a bag on the towel, then walked away. Another person then came along and took the bag, walking away with it in full view of the other people on the beach. No one said or did anything to prevent the theft.

Next they did the same thing only this time the person laying down the towel said the "How you doin'" and "Great beach day" small talk with the neighbor beachgoers. Again they walked away, leaving the bag on the towel. The "thief" came by and picked up the bag and started to walk away only to have one of the "neighbors" yell and give chase. Two other of the "neighbors" joined the chase.

The only difference was the seemingly unimportant greetings to strangers, making a connection. We do crave attention.

Thanks for the post. It brought up an interesting human need.

Loris

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I agree (not always possible but well It makes a real difference)

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

No I was'nt looking for salutes ?

Old Crow

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

(((crow)))

Words to live by

<<from one who has spent many years feeling ignored>>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest