JW.ORG at the grocery store.

by Queequeg 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Today while I was having my groceries checked out, a lovely woman came up next to me in the line.

I glanced over at her... her face screamed "I'm a pain in the ass!" She was obese and frumpy, and (I know maybe I'm projecting a little too much here...) she seemed to exude a sense of superiority, like, "I'm too good to be around these losers."

I paid for my food and made a point of being especially nice to the checker because I figured her next person was going to be unpleasant.

As I was gathering my things, the checker asked this lovely woman, "Is plastic OK?", the response was a dismissive, "Yeah, sure..."

I glanced over at the unpleasant woman and noticed a large "JW.ORG" lapel pin floating on her chest.

I walked away with a big smile on my face. I thought, "What an amazing way to advertise your religion!"

Keep up the good work! Advertise, advertise, advertise!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Good point my friend ,if they want to advertise like this then they must be on their good behaviour 24/7 and not put a step wrong in there dealings or attitudes to others.

Otherwise it will have a negative adverse reaction to the religion.

Whoopie doo.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Queequeg:

I would imagine she is probably counting her time while wearing the lapel pin.

Petra!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Should have whipped around, leaned in close, and said very softly to her:

"Gluttony is a sin. I read it in the Silver Sword. Jah is watching you!"

Then whipped right around and left her in the dust. Bet that would have shaken her up! lol

• tiki
    tiki

Those lapel pins are just plain tacky. I've only seen photos of them here...but seriously if I saw someone sporting one I'd think they were part of a weird cult.

And lo and behold...I'd be right!!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Yep, pompous, self righteous JW's who's s*it don't stink.

True misfits!!! They don't realize how ridiculous they look to the outside world.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

Should have looked at her and said, Millions now living will never die. or I used to be a JW but I got better.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

if they want to advertise like this then they must be on their good behaviour 24/7 and not put a step wrong in there dealings or attitudes to others. Otherwise it will have a negative adverse reaction to the religion.

I think this is why the ceased printing bumper stickers for the large International Conventions (1960s). So many JWs ignored the speed limit that it was embarrassing for them to tout how "law abiding" they were.

In reality, JWs are just like everyone else -- they are just better in their own minds.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

The other side of it may have been a lady who was encouraged to wear the lapel and her best defense was to be extra extra. Like when they wanted us to wear our badges from the assembly when you went to dinner. Awkward. I smiled like a fool. Self conscious and trying to look like a good JW - cause I felt like everyone was looking at me.

Have yet to see it in person. Actually hope never to see it.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Why wouldn't you feel self-conscious walking into a restaurant wearing a nametag, like who else does that? Maybe the Goberning Body hopes someone will ask about it and you can 'give a fine witness, kinda turn you into a walking advertisement kinda thing, but it almost feels like they're asking you to out yourself and feel like everyone's watching you instead of just enjoy your meal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit