If we could travel at light speed, would travel be 'instantaneous' for us??

by Bad_Wolf 34 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

I let you know when I get back from testing this out.

Blondie

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    BW : we hope not. Some humans use excessive energy to travel faster thsn they should (it is better to travel than to arrive), and the planet's resources, purity are ruined by it.

So humans remain on Earth until it dies or human race wiped out? Concerned about the 'universes' resources? Have you even a concept of how big the universe is? TRILLIONS of planets, how long do you think it will take humans to deplete the universes resources? Plus light speed makes it instantaneous for humans but not for time, the planet, or whoever is not traveling at light speed. So if went to a planet 1 million light years away, it wouldn't make humans instantly there and we are instantly at all planets, those who are not traveling, the time still goes by. So 1 million years would pass for a human to go to a planet 1 million light years away, but for that human it only feels instantaneous.

But soon will come means many consider unethical to control human population, and will need to have the ability to spread to other planets. Eventually Earth will die, or the sun will.

• waton
    waton

bad Wolf what I meant si humans have not done well as stewarts of this planet. It is one thing to have a photon, which has no mass to accelerate or depart at the speed of light.

Think of CERN the tremondeous effort it took to just accelerate a few protons into collision speed at c.

useless travel is now known to be a major polluter of the planet, cruise ships, planes.

Of course lessoned learned on this planet would be good apply elsewhere, but we have too amny bad pupils.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    Is that formula based on Earth and gravity or in space? I know it's possible though, big bang, black holes, utilizing other energy, may not be in our lifetime (the way for 'how' let alone the technology and means) but I think it will eventually happen.

It is a standard formula to calculate kinetic energy, that many high school students might remember. Applies anywhere in the universe. I have actually oversimplified, but I don’t want to bore people with the details. The formula is still reasonably accurate at, say 95% of light speed, but becomes less accurate as you get close to the speed of light, and in fact the energy required to actually reach light speed is infinite. In other words, it is even more difficult than my back of envelope calc suggests.

PS: I am no expert; I did a relativistic mechanics unit as part of Physics at Uni a very long time ago. I passed but it was probably my worst unit.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

You cannot reach the speed of light if you want to have mass. Einstein's most famous equation (e=mc2) basically tells us that at the speed of light, you would turn into information (simultaneously a particle and wave form) and then the other laws of physics (entropy etc) make sure you most likely can't be put back together again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit