If we could travel at light speed, would travel be 'instantaneous' for us??

by Bad_Wolf 34 Replies latest social current

• waton
    waton

time does not move, or fly by, but we do.

if we could accelerate to the speed of light, we would reduce our movement through time to zero.

There always was time, it is eternal, like energy that can not be created or destroyed. time does not move, we do., or not.

If photons, that do that, are a guide, we would not age or tire.,but stretch in size, together with the space we travel in, turn redder.

The universe expands into time bsw.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

How about String Theory, and extra dimension(s)

That one fascinates me.

As well as space contracting, not expanding.

• Simon
    Simon

Something that's 10 light years away would still take 10 years of human lifetime to reach.

• Humphry
    Humphry

Yes 10 years on earth but to the person traveling at the seep of light not even a day.

How about the event horizon of a black hole?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/event-horizon-black-hole

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Forget "light speed"...

...even "hilarious speed" is too slow...

...I want "ludicrous speed"!!!

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Something that's 10 light years away would still take 10 years of human lifetime to reach.

To a person on Earth, if their friend traveled 10 light years away at light speed, the person on Earth would age 10 years, the person traveling at light speed from the moment hitting light speed would age not at all. So once there, that person would be 10 years younger than the person on Earth.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Bad wolf is right (except that nothing, apart from light can travel at light speed). The friend travelling for 10 earth years at, say, 99% of light speed would hardly age at all, and a trip to the nearest star at that speed would pass quite quickly. The time taken can be calculated using Anders Anderson’s chart a few pages ago.

It is all rather irrelevant though. The energy to accelerate a person to 99% of light speed is enormous. The formula is E(k) = 1/2 m v^2. Basically, to accelerate 1kg to that speed you need 0.5 x 1 x 9 x 10^18 = 4.5 x 10^18 Joules, which is the equivalent energy of about 71,000 Hiroshima bombs. (My calc, based on Wikipedia saying that bomb released 6.3 x 10^13 Joules.) So to accelerate a 100kg human inside (say) a 900kg spaceship to 99% of the speed of light, you need the energy equivalent of around 71 million Hiroshima bombs. That is a heck of a lot of rocket power.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    It is all rather irrelevant though. The energy to accelerate a person to 99% of light speed is enormous. The formula is E(k) = 1/2 m v^2. Basically, to accelerate 1kg to that speed you need 0.5 x 1 x 9 x 10^18 = 4.5 x 10^18 Joules, which is the equivalent energy of about 71,000 Hiroshima bombs. (My calc, based on Wikipedia saying that bomb released 6.3 x 10^13 Joules.) So to accelerate a 100kg human inside (say) a 900kg spaceship to 99% of the speed of light, you need the energy equivalent of around 71 million Hiroshima bombs. That is a heck of a lot of rocket power.

Is that formula based on Earth and gravity or in space? I know it's possible though, big bang, black holes, utilizing other energy, may not be in our lifetime (the way for 'how' let alone the technology and means) but I think it will eventually happen.

• waton
    waton
    the way for 'how' let alone the technology and means) but I think it will eventually happen.

BW : we hope not. Some humans use excessive energy to travel faster thsn they should (it is better to travel than to arrive), and the planet's resources, purity are ruined by it.

Now, with near "c" travel, do you want to deplete the universe"s resources too?

• Ding
    Ding

"Warp 8, Mr. Crusher!"

(For those of you who spent all your time at WT meetings and out in service, that's from Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit