Research Linking Wealth, Religion Shows JWs Among the Poorest

by teenyuck 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Badger
    Badger

Joker: I'm sure your stats are accurate, but I and a lot of other people on this board have seen in the organization ample examples of privation situations (You have to like that alliteration)

My ex-in-laws have literally worked their bodies into a crippling state their entire life and have nothing (I mean NOTHING) to show for it. I once visited a friend's house when we wer about 15 and mused on the possibility of us going to college (A threat I later carried out). Her father (a grocery stocker) shook his head; "You can't be successful and still be in the truth," he said, with a perfectly straight face.

This is the culture that these people take from all of those talks, publications and "unofficial comments"; A refusal to even attempt to create any level of personal comfort or satisfaction for themselves or their families. That girl -- The smartest, funniest and most beautiful sister I ever knew -- could have run a bank, started a business or become a veterinarian; She mentioned doing all of those things and had the drive for it; Now, she's cleaning houses.

"You've got an education now," is said to me these days, but it's with an equal amount of pride, disdain and sarcasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit