Research Linking Wealth, Religion Shows JWs Among the Poorest

by teenyuck 10 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Here is a very interesting article from today's local paper. A reseacher from Ohio State University is showing that American Jews develop substantially more wealth than Christians, including JWs, based upon education and early investments.....

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2003/09/25/20030925-C1-04.html

OSU SOCIOLOGIST’S STUDY Jews criticize research linking wealth, religion Thursday, September 25, 2003 Felix Hoover THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Religion-based family values such as education and early investment appear to explain why American Jews develop substantially more wealth than Christians do, says a new study from Ohio State University.

The study by Lisa A. Keister, an associate professor of sociology, also says conservative Protestants lag in generating wealth, perhaps in part because their faith focuses more on rewards in the hereafter.

Keister said she wants to know why some American families develop wealth while others never do.

"My objective is to explain wealth and equality and to examine why 20 percent of the people have no wealth at all," said Keister, who has conducted other research on assetbuilding as it relates to race and other factors.

But her latest work drew criticism from Jewish leaders, who said they worry that it might foster anti-Semitic stereotypes.

"The question of religion and wealth is too complicated, and I don’t think it was treated very seriously" in Keister’s study, said Ken Jacobson, associate national director of the Anti-Defamation League in New York.

"It plays into these ideas of Jews and money that have been so troubling for so long."

The study also drew objections from Marsha Hurwitz, president and CEO of the Columbus Jewish Federation.

"In recent years, Professor Keister has developed a particular point of view regarding wealth in America," Hurwitz said by e-mail.

"While we respect Professor Keister’s right to express her opinions, we believe that many, many factors influence how we develop as individuals. Focusing on one aspect of a person’s life, at the expense of other important factors, can be misleading and do a disservice."

Keister’s study uses data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, conducted by Ohio State for the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. It follows a group of people over time, surveying them once or twice a year. Keister used data collected from 4,950 participants from 1985 to 1998.

Her findings appear in the September issue of Social Forces, a journal associated with the Southern Sociological Society at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Jews ranked highest in net worth, with a median of $150,890, triple that of the group as a whole. Conservative Protestants — including Baptists, Christian Scientists, Jehovah’s Witnesses and Seventhday Adventists — showed a median net worth of $26,200. Mainline Protestants and Roman Catholics each reported net worths of about $62,000.

Keister, whose religious background is Roman Catholic and whose specialty is economics, said the survey is not an attempt to stereotype.

What goes on in families is the key to building wealth, she said. "I’m arguing that there’s something about the values we teach our kids that affects how they eventually accumulate assets as adults."

Jewish families rank so highly because they tend to emphasize education, a strong predictor of wealth, and pursue higher-income jobs, she said.

A little more than a third of Jews in the survey made early high-risk, high-return investments, such as stocks and bonds, and placed little emphasis on early homeownership. Only 3 percent of conservative Protestants invested early.

Conservative Protestants’ reluctance to invest might relate to their emphasis on prayer and trust in God to meet their needs, Keister said.

Moreover, they don’t learn to invest from their families. And because they don’t emphasize education, they tend to end up with lower-paying jobs that provide less to invest, she said.

Jacobson, however, said most historians have regarded the Puritan ethic as the root of American materialism.

"These notions are not existent in Judaism as I understand it," he said.

Rich Nathan is a convert from Judaism who is pastor at Vineyard of Columbus, a large evangelical church on the North Side.

"Christian theology for the past three or four centuries has tended to divorce spirituality from real-world practice," Nathan said.

"Historically, the Puritans accumulated a great deal of wealth because their spirituality and their practice was integrated. Very few Christians today have a theology of work or a theology of education.

"Jewish theology and practice tends to be much more integrated."

Few houses of worship vilify wealth-building, but some encourage it more than others, Keister contends. Those that foster wealth often share investment tips and opportunities, she found.

Religious attitudes about family size and gender roles also matter.

Conservative Protestants tend to believe in literal interpretation of the Bible, which "can also lead to the conclusion that wealth accumulation should be avoided," she said.

Edward N. Wolff, professor of economics at New York University, has conducted extensive research on wealth-building.

He said Keister’s study "can provide new insights into the role of cultural background and economic achievement."

Wolff noted that the U.S. Census does not ask about religion, so data relating faith to financial assets are limited. Keister’s survey might justify further examination of links between religion and wealth, he said.

The study’s major omission, Wolff said, is that it does not speak to the high wealth accumulation among Asian-Americans.

Keister said she also omitted Islam and other religions for which little comparable data were available, but she plans to include them in future studies.

Lisa A. Keister can be reached at keister.7 @sociology.osu.edu.

Interesting.....

This link, which I cannot cut and paste as a picture, shows a graph of the wealth factor:

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2003/09/25/20030925-C2-05.html

• mizpah
    mizpah

It is not surprising that Jehovah's Witnesses rank low on the wealth scale. Jehovah's Witnesses were not encouraged to further their educations by going to college. The preaching work always took precedent over working careers. And the appeal of "the truth" always had more response among the poorest segments of society. Under these circumstances, one would expect a low rating among Watchtower members.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Now it would be nice to see a graph that showed the net worth of individuals/families in various religions vs the net worth of the religious organizations themselves.

• metatron
    metatron

I'm a little surprized by the poverty of Christian Scientists, I thought they were upscale, actually.

metatron

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I thought the interesting part of the article was the belief in the *hereafter* and the rewards to be received then.

conservative Protestants lag in generating wealth, perhaps in part because their faith focuses more on rewards in the hereafter.

I asked my husband, a Catholic, and he agreed that this could have a strong impact on *some* people's ability to save now.

I definitely agree that the JWs did not encourage college and still discourage it in favor of preaching......which all leads to the new system and a *better life* there. (gag)

Which all leads to a poor life here and now.

I can say that the Jewish people I personally know are wealthy.....and educated.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

There are a lot of Jewish kids that go to the same high school as my daughter, and are a big part of her social group. Their parents tend to be very well educated and be financially well off. These Jewish kids are nice, polite, well behaved and a lot of fun. Most appear to be smart (they get good marks in highly academic programs), are involved in school teams and leadership programs and there is no question that their parents have high expectations for the for kids. There is an assumption, just as in my family, that the kids will to go on to university and become a professional of some sort. The same ambition I have and want my kids to have.

It is certainly easier when your family has enough money that tuition isn't a problem, or if you need help, there is money for tutors. What I have noticed is that there is a cultural respect for learning.

Yes, the families have money. They have earned it, with with several generations of well educated people people who are willing to work hard to get where they want to go.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Unsurprising, since JW culture denigrates personal fulfilment as it ennobles underacheivement, even fiscal irresponsibility. The failure of Armageddon's arrival to rescue JWs from their financial straights now have older-generation JWs staring death in the face, something they never thought they would have to deal with. How many of these foolishly frittered away their assets in advance of 1975? It must number into the thousands! Which isn't to say that JWs don't envy the relatively few affluent among them.

Thirty or so years ago, I recall how such things as contribution to retirement plans, life insurance, home ownership, etec. were pooh-poohed, and some even suggested that involvement in suchlike was evidence of spiritual immaturity. .

• waiting
    waiting

WT until about 20 yrs ago didn't even encourage finishing high school. Pioneering was more important.

WT has always encouraged being self-employed....but not going for any more education than was absolutely necessary. So that left a lot of men & women in labor type of employment.

WT has always discouraged 4 year college. God forbid (pun intended) if the person went for a Master's Degree or Doctorate.

WT has always, through the elders, quietly discouraged any investment in the stock market.

WT has always, through the elders, quietly discouraged any investment in retirement funds. lol - the world's going to end "any time now."

So Jehovah's Witnesses get a double whammy - in general, no investments and no education.

waiting

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Interesting. I believe very much in the JW/non-wealth issue. I see it as a two-fold issue: those who were raised as JW and those who converted as adults.

1. First, for those raised as JWs, higher education is discouraged. This obviously impacts their chances for future wealth.

2. Due to prohibitions on pre-marital sex, the average JW marries several years earlier than most of society. Early marriage curtails higher education, promotes having children early, and tends to limit women's (in particular) future education.

3. The rigorous requirements of meetings, preaching, assemblies, etc., takes a great deal of time away from pursuing a economically profitable career.

4. JW's whole negative attitude toward the "pursuit of weath" directly conflicts with many of American's view toward pursing prosperity.

5. JW's belief that Armageddon's right around the corner affects their desire to invest for the future. (Also related to this is not financing their children's education).

Secondly, with regard to converts to JW'sm, these people are more likely

1. To not have highly professional occupations

2. Are not highly educated

3. Are generally dissatisfied with life (sighing and crying over this system...), so are generally less likely to be economically, socially, and professionally successful. Once they convert to JW'ism, this perceived alienation only intensifies.

• Joker10
    Joker10

I really question this.

Another study indicated that JW's median income is SLIGHTLY and unsignificantly less than the rest of the U.S. puplulation. Because JW's take time for spiritual matters instead of accepting to work more = less money (elders, pioneers and others.) The study also mentions that JW's are as likely to own a house and MUCH MORE LIKELY TO FINISH HIGH SCHOOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit