Have You Changed Your Viewing Habits Regarding Sports and Entertainment?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Sports have always been a big part of my life. I'm no longer in a cult and don't need everyone around me to think like me, so although I don't agree with the support given to certain organizations by players or leagues it has no impact on my enjoyment of the game other than minor annoyance that the subject has to come up at all. In fact, I'm going to a college football game this weekend. I agree with those that say we shouldn't take celebrities or athletes seriously when they're espousing their opinions, so I don't, and I just go enjoy the games. I don't look to anyone else for my beliefs, nor do I need them to support them. They play a role in my life, and it is for entertainment.

• LV101
    LV101

Can't wait to go to a Raider's game at our beautiful/modern new stadium and I'll watch some of the US Open at Winged Foot, Westchester County, NY. Gorgeous place and in top 10 of the US - one of the toughest in country. Been yrs. since held at Winged Foot - since 2006. Have friends there so will be exciting.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Have You Changed Your Viewing Habits Regarding Sports and Entertainment? - lockdown hasn't changed my viewing habits at all.

I changed my viewing habits when I became a uni student.

In the UK, you have to pay the BBC license fee just to watch live TV, even if you don't watch any of the BBC channels.

As as student, I didn't want to pay the annual £157 fee, so for the past 8 years I haven't owned a TV or watched live TV.

I have a dvd player and I regularly watch dvds from my pretty good movie collection (I now own 116 movies).

That's enough for me.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I like baseball and the season has pretty much been trashed.

I usually go to one game at Camden Yards during the season and watch what I can on TV. It's nice just to have the game on in the background while puttering around the house.

What's annoying is that the local channels often don't carry baseball games anymore, and I have very limited cable. I won't pay for ESPN because it's outrageously expensive for just wanting the baseball game on in the background.

Sometimes a local channel will carry a game, for instance the World Series last year. That wasn't just on in the background. I was 3 feet in front of the TV for the whole thing!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I never watched sport of any kind unless I was a captive audience.

I have become sick of all the virtue signalling that's going on these days.

If I do watch telly, I've boycotted the BBC and tend to watch old shows from way back when.

Since the corona mess, I've seen 'celebs' so desperate to crave attention, it's become embarrassing to see.

My boycotting 'brands' is another thing altogether. Why do capitalist companies virtue signal about groups that want to destroy capitalism? Money?

The BBC have become a disgusting joke.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Athletics is good for the body. Sports is an opium for the masses. I like drinking tea. I do not get joy from watching others drink tea.

COVID-19 has shown just how much Western civilization has declined by our addiction to entertainment. Our economies are in the tank because we cannot go to restaurants, bars, movie theaters, concerts, and sporting events.

• minimus
    minimus

Truth, good perspective

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    I am not a sports man but sometimes I enjoy watching mma, especially women's mma. It is not misoginy, but just so fascinating watching gender equality taking to the logical extreme. In that light, it can be quite fascinating watching a tomboy woman knockouting another tomboy woman with a kick to the face 😁
  • JeffT
    JeffT

A few years ago I got a job that required working Sunday afternoons. No more NFL. I started watching more college ball (I always did watch as much of my Alma Mater as I could). I now like college ball a lot better. I don't like being lectured by a bunch of people who make about 30 times as much as I do about awful their lives are.

When atheletes and celebrities rant about how the 1% are screwing everybody I want to tell them to face the mirror when they're lecturing.

• minimus
    minimus

Joen I like women’s volleyball. 😇

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit