Accepting Blood Privately

by Brighton 19 Replies latest members private

• Brighton
    Brighton

Does anyone know what the process is for accepting blood without it being disclosed? For example, if I go in for surgery, and my family is around, how could I receive treatment without them knowing?

Any recommendations?

Brighton

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Schedule it at a hospital (don't tell them which one). Take an Uber or Lyft to/from the hospital.

• Brighton
    Brighton

My family live in town, so not telling them and/or not having them come to the hospital is not really an option. It's a good idea though and if I live farther away, I could get away with it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think you'd have to fully explain the situation to your doctors. The JW blood issue is a PITA for them and I'd think they'd want to help you maintain confidentiality as much as possible. Bottom line is to "fake" repentance if it's discovered. People "make mistakes" when their life is threatened. (Tears might help too.)

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Many doctors are willing to accommodate JW who want to accept blood without being DFed.

Talk to your doctor privately. They may be able to help you, for example by using a a non-descriptive transfusion bag, or to do certain procedures outside visiting hours only.

Btw if you would have to receive blood products during surgery nobody would know, as long as you tell the surgeon to not disclose such information to family and jw enforcers.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    I think you'd have to fully explain the situation to your doctors. The JW blood issue is a PITA for them and I'd think they'd want to help you maintain confidentiality as much as possible.

DOC has the right of it.

Also make sure you get rid of your NO Blood card and

that any records your Doctor or the Hospital may have about you indicates that you will accept Blood and/or any life saving treatments if needed.

Good luck with the surgery. Let us know how you worked it out.

By the by.......... keep an eye out for any Elders who can peer into your room while they are washing the windows.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

By law (in the U.S.) your medical records are private and hospital staff aren't allowed to speak to anyone about your treatment without your consent lest they be criminally charged.

Unless you tell them or have a bag of blood hanging by your bedside when they walk in, I don't see how your family would know you've accepted blood.

According to my RN daughter in law to be, they are instructed to visit JW's patients once the family and elders have left to make sure that patient isn't being pressured. More often than not (esp. young ones) the JW patient pleads with them not to let them die. They want blood to be administered but no one can find out and the hospital sees to it, that happens.

The JW goes back to the Hall as if nothing happened and the rest of the JW"s figure everyone is refusing blood like they hear at the assemblies but the reality is, most aren't.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My sister (a doctor) once told me that she had noticed that she had entirely different conversations with her patients on this subject when the elders weren't in the room. Be upfront with the docs and they will do their best to help you.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Talk to your doctor. In the US the hospitals cannot disclose your treatment (HIPAA) and they are required to give you privacy when discussing treatment. You can even tell them you don't want visitors.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome to the forum Brighton ,I hope this is a hypothetical question and that you don`t need a blood transfusion however if that is the case then do as the posters say here ,talk to your doctor confidentially that you are willing to have blood just so long as no busybody JW`s know about it.

i`m sure they will respect your privacy and your confidentiallity .

Take care buddy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit