Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault

by freddo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Bill Cosby was charged Wednesday with drugging and sexually assaulting a woman at his home 12 years ago — the first criminal charge brought against the comedian out of the torrent of allegations that destroyed his good-guy image as America's Dad.

The case sets the stage for perhaps the biggest Hollywood celebrity trial of the mobile-all-the-time era and could send the 78-year-old Cosby to prison in the twilight of his life and barrier-breaking career.

Cosby was to be arraigned in the afternoon on a charge of aggravated indecent assault, punishable by five to 10 years behind bars and a $25,000 US fine.

Prosecutors accused him of plying former Temple University employee Andrea Constand with pills and wine, then penetrating her with his fingers without her consent, while she was drifting in and out of consciousness, unable to resist or cry out.

First Assistant District Attorney Kevin Steele announced the charge against Cosby at the Montgomery County detective bureau, Wednesday in Norristown, Pa. (Matt Rourke/Associated Press)

She was "frozen, paralyzed, unable to move," Montgomery County District Attorney-elect Kevin Steele said. In court papers, prosecutors said the drugs were the cold medicine Benadryl or some other, unidentified substance. Steele noted that Cosby has admitted giving Quaaludes to women he wanted to have sex with.

Cosby acknowledged under oath a decade ago that he had sexual contact with Constand but said it was consensual. Calls to his attorneys were not immediately returned.

The charge came down just days before the 12-year statute of limitations for bringing charges was set to run out.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Is it RACIST that Bill Cosby is being pursued while BILL CLINTON gets a pass?

If not, why not?

Clinton’s accusers include: Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick, Kathleen Willey, Eileen Wellstone, Carolyn Moffet, Elizabeth Ward Gracen, Becky Brown, Helen Dowdy and Cristy Zercher, nine women.

• Simon
    Simon

If it's true, and the sheer number of accusers with the similar story suggest it is, then I hope he rots in jail for the remainder of his life. Sanctimonious self-righteous unfunny has-been.

When asked for comment about previous accusations he never said "no, I didn't do that". Instead he would claim "I haven't been charged". Hardly the defence of someone with a clear conscience. Well, now that has been taken away from him.

NN: Most of the complaints are not the same and fall apart under scrutiny but any with sufficient evidence should be investigated. I think there are enough republicans who would pursue things if they were legitimate. People claiming rape and later admitting to affairs make weak witnesses.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

You think he may be able to use the Affluenza defense?

LRG

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is it RACIST that Bill Cosby is being pursued while BILL CLINTON gets a pass?

If not, why not ?

The issue isn't involving race, it involves the use of drugs with the intent toward provoking a non consenting sexual act.

Adultery isn't illegal in the US as in most countries but to intentionally drug up someone with a preconceived intent to create a non consenting sexual act is.

A date rape drug, also referred to as a predator drug, is any drug that is an incapacitating agent which, when administered to another person, incapacitates the person and renders them vulnerable to a drug facilitated sexual assault (DFSA), including rape. The most common types of DFSA are those in which a victim consumes a recreational drug such as alcohol administered surreptitiously.[1] The most common form of DFSA is alcohol-related,[2] with the victim in most cases consuming the alcohol voluntarily. Other date rape drugs include rohypnol, ketamine and gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB).

• DJS
    DJS

NN,

I found your 'list' on Sean Hannity's website. Hannity is a renowned right wing Clinton hater. That explains your slant but it doesn't explain your lack of real research.

Of the 9, one was adjudicated (Jones) in Clinton's favor; he did pay her to drop it, but he won the case. One was recanted (Ward Gracen), who states that she did have a consensual one night relationship with Clinton. One was investigated (Willey) by an independent counsel who found no wrong doing. Four of the others were either Bill making sexual overtures that were not accepted or grabbing their butts or boobs. Or showing his willie (once).

That leaves two that have any smoke, other than Bill being a boorish womanizer and occasional grabber of butts and willie shower. Clinton had a lot of outside the marriage consensual trysts, including Monica Lewensky. Bad form indeed, but not in the same category as the Cos, who has been accused of drugging and raping 40 - 50 women.

What we can say about Bill is that the legal process was employed in several cases; when it was, there wasn't evidence that he did anything wrong other than betraying Hillary (the talk on the street is that they both like girls and Hillary has had as much freedom to play as Bill). Is he guilty of raping the other two? I do not know, but I wish they had had their day in court so we would know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit