What's all the whispering about...during the meetings, what are the brothers saying to one another...is it important? & other stuff

by tor1500 10 Replies latest jw friends

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi All,

Just wondering, during the meetings, what do the brothers whisper about. At most of the meetings I see brothers coming up to other brothers during the meetings...always whispering something...you got it I'm nosy...what is it they have to say that's so important during the meeting. It's not just every now & again, it's all the time...

Anyone here been a brother or have privy to what you whispered about ? Or is it just to make themselves look important...& another thing I noticed...Some sisters can't come to the meeting unless they have a shopping bag (gift bag) for someone. It's like they can't come without it...Sometimes I see it & it's just Tupperware that they are returning...

&&& why do Sisters bring out their lotion as soon as they sit down...why all the moisturizing during the meeting....is it a nervous thing ? Or they bring out their sanitizer as well....oh yes, they do offer to others as well

&&& when you take off your sweater/coat, does the entire congregation come to help you & it feels like their taking your arm off....I want to say...I can take off my own sweater...Darn it...(aren't the friends so helpful, yet, if you need a ride home...sorry Charlie, you're on your own...

These are some of the things I notice at the meeting when my mind wanders....

Tor

• sir82
    sir82

what do the brothers whisper about.

For those US congregations who have Sunday afternoon meetings, here is a typical conversation in the fall....

"Hey, do you know the score?"....."Yeah, Patriots up by 10 with 4-1/2 minutes to go"....."Sweet"....

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    'Can you do the microphone in the second half on the left side'. ' bro submarine isnt here' .....'Yeah sure brother'
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    &&& when you take off your sweater/coat, does the entire congregation come to help you & it feels like their taking your arm off....I want to say...I can take off my own sweater...Darn it...

I don't know what the heck they're whispering about, I don't have the necessary accoutrement, the Y chromosome. Must be very important men only business. As for lotions, what is that about? In the meeting? This is just a different religion to the one I was in. But I do remember the above, people won't let you take your own coat off or put it on without helping you, as if you're two years old. Very weird.

• blondie
    blondie

I vote for the sports talk...my husband was an elder. At assemblies elders would run out to their vehicles to find what the score was during the meeting.

Some would gossip about who wasn't there, the errors made by some, the cruise coming up, their golf game that weekend.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Midweek meetings were quite stressful/busy for School Overseers (as it was my experience). Never sure if everybody would show up for their talks. To fill up the gaps, the SO regularly needed to walk around (or sending someone) whispering (begging) for volunteers.

Same for (last minute) changes about the anouncements on the good ol' service meeting. Could give you an excuse to make little jokes to someone also and surely could make you feel important, since it had to do with Jah's spritual food 

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I'm sure it can vary widely, but of the conversations I've overheard going on they've all been about handling various parts or other "privileges" due to someone being absent, like truthexplorer said.
  • sir82
    sir82

Gossip is another biggie.

This board is rife with stories about elders' wives gossiping about other JWs, but in my experience, the elders themselves were at least as bad.

During the meeting is the perfect time & place...."Say, did you notice Brother X isn't here again?"....."Well, I saw him washing his car in his driveway not 2 hours before the meeting tonight"....."Tsk, spiritually weak, isn't he? Such a shame he has no appreciation for spiritual things"....."If you ask me, he's materialistic....that car he was washing costs at least $40,000"....."Oh I know, he's always going on vacation to the Caribbean".....

Make no mistake, elders talk about everyone and everything, under the guise of "knowing the flock".

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

tor1500:

Just wondering, during the meetings, what do the brothers whisper about. At most of the meetings I see brothers coming up to other brothers during the meetings...always whispering something...

They're hatching plans to persecute you. By the way, are you taking your meds?

• Heaven
    Heaven

what do the brothers whisper about.

I can guarantee you it isn't a cure for cancer. In other words, it isn't worth being curious about. Not one iota.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit