A divorced single sistet

by TxNVSue2023 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

It was an opinion of someone that to be a divorced, single sister I. The organization was the lowest social standing you can have. Why are they dispised? ( What if was a scriptural divorce where husband cheated?)

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Who cares what the organization thinks. Jesus was despised by the organization of his day. It's God's opinion that counts.💖

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

In its early days, marriage itself was frowned upon by the org. So I guess failed marriage was even more abhorrent in their eyes. And women have always been the org's whipping boy. So they are not going to be fair to women, if there's a chance of exercising prejudicial pressure.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

That is not an opinion, Sue. That is a fact.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Let it go, and live your own life, is my advise.

G.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

👏👏👏👏👍👍

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I agree with the opening statement. If a woman is already divorced before she becomes a JW then she is on a higher level of acceptance than a JW who gets divorced even if the husband was cheating.

The woman gets the blame. They believe that if she was giving him the "marital due" he would not have cheated so it is her failure. And therefore, there must be something spiritually wrong with her.

So she gets "marked"; fewer people will talk to her at the meetings, they don't socialize with her and she is often not invited to group activities like weddings and showers. They invite her out for service but that is about it.

The men on the other hand can get disfellowshipped, worm their way back in and even become elders again.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

For those who think this isn't worth discussing, I assure you the women who have experienced this or are experiencing it now, need to see they are not alone.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    divorced, single sister I. The organization was the lowest social standing you can have.

yep--no longer permitted to clean the toilets.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I knew a sister whose husband committed adultery. She sought a divorce. The local elders snubbed her and gave a marking talk saying some women get a career ( can't remember the exact wording ) and feel independant of their husbands and push them out.The congregation was weary of the woman I knew of so while no names were mentioned, the point was taken. She wasn't offered any sympathy because he was a cheat and gave her a potentially death dealing std. ( she wasn't allowed to speak of it to the local congregation..) The cheating husband told his mother that another brother had given the sister the std, so she would spread a lie. HE could spread this lie, but the wife told to keep her mouth shut! He got patted on the back. He moved away from the congregation, but came back to visit a couple of times at the end of the meeting, standing at the opening between the foyer and auditorium. The "brothers and sisters" lined up in a long row like a wedding reception, going up to hug him, shake his hand, and pat him on the back...all this while the wife was being treated like they didn't know what to do with her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit