Do you address people by their "religious" titles?

by happyout 25 Replies latest jw friends

• happyout
    happyout

TJ,

I humbly salute your unselfish patriotism.

I aspire to be like you someday (wipes tear from corner of eye)

Happyout

• Panda
    Panda

CONFESSION: I never stopped using religious titles. My Uncle Father Bill was still Uncle Father Bill until he became Uncle Monsigneur Bill. A wonderful man. He put up w/ my JW crap, never acted superior to anyone. I wish he'd been alive when I left, he'd have been happy.

• Scully
    Scully

One of my esteemed colleagues has a PhD. In nursing. Let me tell you, it's freaking weird when she refers to herself as "Dr" so-and-so.

Anyway, it's usually fine with me if people have an "official" title and they expect to be referred by it. I stopped using "Brother" and "Sister" regarding JWs a long time ago. It makes them do a double take when I refer to them as Mr or Mrs. It's a subtle way of saying that I am not speaking their language anymore.

Love, Scully (who thinks "Dumbass" should be a religious title applied to certain COs and DOs)

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

My father was a Presbyterian minister. I have never had problem with calling a person of the cloth by their title.

Having said that, I do have a problem with calling God "father".

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I can only speak of Australia but from my experience, church officials, leaders, whatever do not get addressed by titles, nor do they expect it. As others have noted on this thread, they are addressed by their 'first name'.

The whole issue of church leaders liking titles is yet another lie taught by the WTS to the R&F.

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• bebu
    bebu
    I guess I am freaked out about appearing to believe someone else's religion by buying into their title.

I think the only time I have this trouble is when Mormon "elders" come knocking on the door, barely old enough to shave. I found out that Mormon missionaries are discouraged from learning the other guys' first names. It's supposed to help them focus on their being "elders".

I oblige them, but I rib them somewhat first.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit