Last night my wife prepared dinner. Chicken and veg. As she was cooking the chicken it gave off the most vile smell. This was a distinctly sharp chemical stink similar to some industrial flux or epoxy.
The smell drifted through and it was so distinct so bad I had to vacate this room and open windows etc.
I ate the veg and one small piece of the chicken that didn't stink. It was just mine not hers or daughters that was affected.
I began to feel so nauseous with this stink that I flushed my sinuses.
The local hospital was bloody useless and could only direct me to some 'health' line where you have to listen to endless self promotions and further directions. (No doubt some one got brownie points for all that)
So, I went to google and did some rapid research. As best I can conclude it was caused by...
- the individual animal not being stunned, killed what ever before it was hit with scalding water.
- which results in an horrific death and the animal voiding its bodily waste in projectile and this contaminates the other chicken around it and then to get past that stink the chicken meat is then washed/ soaked.. in strong chlorine bleach.
I took a big dose of oxygen diet supplement (if you don't know what that is look up "oxygen therapies) and didn't take my scheduled meds as I didn't want them to be part of a salmonella/chlorine cocktail inside me.
- I will write to the minister for health who is a self serving idiot anyway and relate my experience with local hospital.
- I have the remainder of the chicken and will present it this am to the supermart manager for a refund? No, for his information.
and wifes advice to take paracetamol was not followed. If you think you have been poisoned by whatever agency or amount taking any medication adding to it is NOT a good idea.
I have made myself a promise. I will not ever eat chicken again. This am apx 12 hours later with all windows open the odour is minimal and I am feeling better. This experience further impresses on me that more and more we must be able to depend less and less on others and be able to deal with crisis ourselves.
ps, My wife put some chicken (raw) scraps out for the cat.. he left them.!
Another alternative would be to call the supermarket and relate your experience and ask for a refund, tell them that you intend to keep the chicken as you are taking the issue further but can show it to them if they require. Freeze the chicken.
Call or write to the Health Minister and explain what has happened. Ask him how you can proceed with further investigations. It is in their interest to determine how poisoners chicken is being sold.
Write/email the chicken manufacturers/producers and relate your experience. Tell them you would like to know how this occurred and that you have frozen the chicken. Also, what assurances can they give that this will not occur again. Let them know that you were poisoned and whether they will compensate you.
If you get no where, contact the media.
I'm not sure why the bad smell wasn't a tip off that it was inedible or not safe to eat?
Maybe it's time to face the truth.
Your wife is trying to poison you.
You might want to check if the chicken was imported from China. They are notorious for tainted food.
The chicken may have crossed the road and stepped into some dog shit.
Morale of the story: if the chicken smells like epoxy, don't eat it.
I wonder if you really love your cat.
Okay Zeb, people are dancing around this question- If the chicken "gave off the most vile smell" while she was cooking it, WHY EAT A PIECE? WHY GIVE SOME TO THE CAT?
Zeb glad your well.......... sorry that you had to go through that. Food poisoning is serious as all of us eat food that is not home grown, served by people who neglect to wash their hands in the bathroom. Companies watching their bottom line closer then the safe requirements preparing their products.
I remember the Jack in the Box hamburger child deaths that took place years ago.
The 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak occurred when 732 people were infected with the Escherichia coli O157:H7 bacterium originating from contaminated beef patties.  The outbreak involved 73 Jack in the Box restaurants in California, Idaho, Washington, and Nevada, and has been described as "far and away the most infamous food poison outbreak in contemporary history." The majority of the victims were under 10 years old. Four children died and 178 other victims were left with permanent injury including kidney and brain damage.
The wide media coverage and scale of the outbreak were responsible for "bringing the exotic-sounding bacterium out of the lab and into the public consciousness" but it was not the first E. coli O157:H7 outbreak resulting from undercooked patties. The bacterium had previously been identified in an outbreak of food poisoning in 1982 (traced to undercooked burgers sold by McDonald's restaurants in Oregon and Michigan), and before the Jack in the Box incident there had been 22 documented outbreaks in the United States resulting in 35 deaths.[14
Bottom line.......... trust your nose and your taste buds if you are lucky enough to notice something is amidst.