Do you think there is an Omnipotent, Omniscient Being that lives forever and ever?

by pistolpete 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Notice that I left off "Benevolent"

Reason being is because I could argue that being all knowing and all powerful is not a prerequisite of being "good".

Yet I'm a firm believer that "Something didn't come from Nothing"

I believe there IS or WAS, a first cause.

Not sure if "IT" lives forever or if "IT" lived only long enough to get the ball rolling.

If he or it is still around, then creation paints this Being as lacking compassion for human and animal life.

If he is not around anymore, that would explain a lot of things that seem to make no sense.

Do you think There is an ALMIGHTY BEING THAT LIVES FOREVER AND EVER?

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I do. I don't think any omnipotent, omniscient infinite being would care about being present in the lives of us lowly mortal humans. I don't care about being present in the millions of microbes and bacteria in my own body and I think the comparison is a good one. In that vein the being would be neither benevolent nor malevolent but rather completely out of our scope of understanding.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There is no such thing as an omnipotent or omniscient being, it is a logical impossibility - can an omnipotent/omniscient being make a stone it cannot lift itself, whether that answer is yes or no, by definition it can't be either omniscient or omnipotent, and that is provable with mathematics.

Being omniscient (knowing all things) implies omnipotence (capable of all things) and vice versa, because an omniscient being would know how to become omnipotent and an omnipotent being could make itself omniscient, hence the terms itself are a bit of a tautology.

Could there be beings that are much more evolved than us in this or other universes, yes, off course there CAN be. Would those beings know about us? Maybe, most likely it just looks at us the way we look at an ant.

• stan livedeath
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I think the totality of the universe and all consciousness are one. That is what you describe.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

No, there's no good evidence for such a being.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

It is possible we like a high enough level of consciousness to be aware of such a being.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

How did you reach that conclusion, truth_b_known?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Hell no! The only possible exception I can think of is if the universe (or multiverse if there is one) is somehow a conscious being/entity - a type of pantheism (for lack of a better word). But even if the universe (or multiverse) is conscious (maybe in the sense of a colossal quantum computer), its knowledge and its power would not be infinite, though it would contain all of the knowledge and power in existence at any moment of time. The type of pantheism I am speaking of is probably close to Baruch Spinoza's idea/belief that God is the universe (or nature), except I don't think Spinoza thought the universe (or nature) is conscious.

I think the universe, in the fullest sense of the word "universe" (which would be equal to a multiverse if a multiverse exists) has always existed in some form and will always exist in some form. Though I believe/think the universe (that which is currently defined as the universe or a bubble within a multiverse) has expanded in volume tremendously since about 13.8 billion years ago (but with possible adjustments for time dilation when considering a temporal frame of reference), I don't think it was ever a singularity (with zero volume and infinite mass-energy density). The general relativity equations don't work for singularities; instead the equations must be modified for quantum effects (but scientists don't yet know to fully modify them).

Scientists keep looking for an ultimate beginning (or truly fundamental particle, at least as far as I know) but they haven't yet found one and that suggests to me that nature is eternal (and thus never had in intelligent creator/designer). Even when some scientists speak of the universe coming from nothing, they never mean literal nothingness. Instead they mean quantum fluctuations of energy (and maybe also disconnected bits of space and time with no defined alignment or direction) in the so-called void (or in the fabric of space-time), or something like that.

• minimus
    minimus

Sure

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit