Social anxiety VS. Jw influence

by NEWWORLDSLACKER 16 Replies latest jw friends

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

My question for tonight is this : after leaving the witnesses do you still feel disjointed from society in general ( and I mean the human race not the wt) ? Im realizing that I still have quite a hard time in social situations where there are more than say 4-5 people .....I tend to get into a dreamy feeling state , and just basically out of it feeling . I tend to blame it on being raised a dub . now after being out for a few years im beginning to wonder if it is truly a side effect of being a JW for so long . having the -us against them-(truth VS. satans world) mentality.

Are any of you going through any similar feelings ......or maybe im just starting to come to terms with where my life is going now ....I don’t really know.

NwS

• leslane
    leslane

I think I understand what you're getting at..there are time people are discussing politics and I have it so engrained in my mind to not 'participate' that I have to knock myself in the back of the head and remember that I'm out of there now so I gotta tell myself, "It's Okay!" lol That's just one of the aspects of my trying to reprogram myself to be myself. So you aren't alone!

lezzieb

• SadElder
    SadElder

I don't depend on the dubs for my identity. I am who or what I make of myself. What you see is what you get. I think I've always been that way, even as a kid.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

I try to act normal most of the time but since being about a year out, I still sometimes have to think to myself, Its ok I can do this, I can enjoy this and that I am not a witness anymore.

Lapuce

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

How long have you been out? I find the longer I have been away, the less I feel like that. But there are many social situations I still feel unconfortable in. I don't have a real solution for it, but socialize, socialize, socialize.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."--J.F. Rutherford.

• NEWWORLDSLACKER
    NEWWORLDSLACKER

Ive been out for about two years .......but stoped the meeting thing this last Jan. so its still new i guess .

Thanks for all of your posts ! they help me in a tremendous way !

NwS

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

NWS, I've been "out" for 11 yrs, but isolated up until 4 yrs. ago from other xdubs (contacted online)...I hafta say, YES, definitely....

Frannie B

• sidney
    sidney

I do understand what you are feeling. I feel like I can't talk about stuff before I was out of the "truth" as my new friends would not understand. I feel like I have had two lives one in the "truth" one out. I still don't vote as it feels wrong so I don't talk about politics etc. It is getting easier but still hard to shake off these feelings. Sidney

• be wise
    be wise

I felt like this a lot when I first left. All your life you're told the world is from this geezer called satan who's out to get you in every situation and everyone and everything is being led by him. It's a natural part of leaving this 'society' but the good thing is it gets so much easier over time without you even realising it. Just keep an open mind and nature will take it's course. You will get there in the end. In the end you realise every willfull JW is just a person pleasing the needs of his own dispostion and personality - you've gotta do the same for yourself. They don't let you do that, that is why they are viewed as a cult.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've had problems with this (and still do occasionally). When I used to attend meetings or even "get togethers", I would get hit with depression. I didn't want to be there, but I had to go because of force by my parents.

After I left, I made quite a few friends. However, when I'd get these friends all together, depression would hit me. I would feel that I didn't belong with them, and I should really go home.

I've been working on fighting this for quite a while. I've been out 7 years and It has gotten better, but I doubt it'll ever be perfect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit