Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Alice Walker:

No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.

Anais Nin:

When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.
  • blondie
    blondie

Abraham Lincoln:

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
    Eleanor Roosevelt:

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?

H. L. Mencken:

Conscience is the inner voice which warns us that someone may be looking.

Holocaust Museum, Washington, DC:

Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.

Izaak Walton:

The person that loses their conscience has nothing left worth keeping. Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the Jews. I was silent. I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists. I was silent. I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists. I was silent. I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me. There was no one left to speak for me.
  • blondie
    blondie

Love it: Meaning does not lie in things.

Eric Hoffer:

The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbor as ourselves: we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant toward others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves. We are prone to sacrifice others when we are ready to sacrifice ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi:

It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world. If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty.

• blondie
  • Badger
    Badger

Blondie: you've learned a lot along the way.

mine:

Small Minds discuss People
    Average Minds discuss Events
    Great Minds discuss Ideas

• alamb
    alamb

The path of least resistance makes rivers and men crooked.

Nolites de bastardes carborundorum.

• blondie
    blondie

Now where is Frank Toth when I need him to adjust this graphically for an "elder" statement?

• blondie
    blondie

Ann Richards:

I've always said that in politics, your enemies can't hurt you, but your friends will kill you.St. Francis Xavier:

Give me the children until they are seven and anyone may have them afterward.Ambrose Bierce:

HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

John Muir:

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.

Henrik Ibsen:

A community is like a ship; everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Just a few I came across this week, some may already be posted:

"Emitte lucem tuam"

(Send forth your light)

"We have met the enemy and he is us!" ~ Pogo

"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame."

"Turning and turning, in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer, all things fall apart. The center cannot hold." ~ Yeats

• blondie
    blondie

Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit