Any step-parents here??

by Out At 22 27 Replies latest social family

• Out At 22
    Out At 22

I have no problem with CS. BUT I do have a problem with my BF supporting the kids AND BM. BM has worked maybe 3 months out of the last 2 yrs. She CHOOSES to NOT work. She get's free daycare, BF and county pays all of it while my almost half of my BF's check goes out the door to pay for her to sit on her @ss all day. The money is spent on her and the girls come over with ratty clothes and all dirty. Their 'mother' routinely 'loses' them as she sits in her room and talks on the phone. We have documentation up the whazoo regarding her behavior and actions. Very sad.

If she was a decent mother and person I would not mind the CS....

• freein89
    freein89

So your intended is paying maintenance as well as child support. That would be very hard to swallow. It sounds like she may be having some mental problems. I live in Wisconsin and have had experience with someone paying child support in Minnesota. I think the top percentage of wages based on the number of children tops out in the mid thirties, unless the laws have changed.

Are the children safe with her? It doesn't sound like it. Is your soon to be trying to get custody? This does not sound like she is your "average" woman, but rather one with some serious problems. Is she employable? Or is she in a state where no one would hire her anyway? Remember you are stuck to this woman for life when you marry her ex. Make sure you are up for the challenge by educating yourself about step-parenting and parenting in general, because if she is troubled more of the mothering will fall on your shoulders if she can't or won't manage it herself.

I mentor two girls for Kinship, they are sisters and in the custody of their father. Their Mom is deeply troubled and simply does not have the ability to parent, so much of the mothering of the girls falls to me. I encourage them to have as much of a relationship with their Mom as possible and I sort of pick up the pieces when its not working well.

It seems to me that you are a very caring sort of person and that will serve you well and be a tremendous source of strength for your soon to be step daughters. An important thing to remember is that you must separate your feelings about the Mom from your daily life. I know that sounds impossible, but it can be done. When you are angry or upset, take a moment to analyze your feelings to see if they are valid. If what you are feeling is about something that you can do nothing about, toss them out - the feelings, not the kids (hee hee). With practice and determination you will gain control in an emotional situation.

Preserve your own dignity at all costs. Quiet strength. Be a safe haven for the kids and for yourself. If she wants to waste her precious energy yakking on the phone, that is her loss, because you will be busy building a relationship with her children. The payoff for all your hard work will be great I assure you.

Thankyou for letting me share what I have learned, much of it I learned the hard way and it feels good to be able to use it to help. I would be pleased to be a counted among your resources in this. I live in Western Wisconsin, pm me if you want more infor or a phone number. If you live in the twin cities area we are only an hour apart.

Deb

• Out At 22
    Out At 22

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the advice! As far as BM goes, she totally chooses not to work. She can work if she wants too but thinks that unless she's paid $20/hr then she won't accept a job. She has no schooling beyond H.S (don't have a prob with that) but instead of getting ANY job to bring in some money she won't.

BF tried to get more custody but now it's been quite awhile I think he might just ask her as she'd hinted about us having them more. The cold hard truth is she wants the free time. She wants them only for the money as she stated that if she got this certain job that paid well then BF can get them more. Sad.

I live just south of the twin cities. About 1.5 hrs tops. :)

Jessica

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jessica, this is so sad -- but happens too often:

almost half of my BF's check goes out the door to pay for her to sit on her @ss all day. The money is spent on her and the girls come over with ratty clothes and all dirty.

Yet if your BF would be the least bit neglectful about paying the child support, the mom would probably come after him like he was the "bad guy" here. There seems to be little or no accountability on the side of the custodial parent (usually the mother). It is maddening, and the children can suffer such neglect while the mom plays with the cash.

There oughtta be a law! It's so unbalanced.

• freein89
    freein89

Hey Jessica, glad to help. I really did learn this stuff the most difficult way possible. Also my kids have a step mom and as a Mom it is way hard to have another woman in their lives. Brings out the claws and fangs. But she tried to take over. Instead of being a friend and asset to the kids she became their enemy. Her attempts to put me down in order to make herself look better completely alienated the kids. They were young when she came into their lives and now they are all grown and want nothing to do with her. Sad really. I will PM my phone number, maybe we can talk in person.

Deb

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

WOW..good luck...hahah just kidding

I have 3 bio kids and two step daughters...married the dad when they were just wee ones, so while it has not been always smooth sailing, I did not have to worry about them liking me before marrying the dad.

My advice is to never, ever say anything bad about the mom in front of them, or really most people if you can because it is so easy to slip. Always treat the mom with respect. And don't be hurt if you get the 'you're not my mom' thing....that is normal.

We are moving from new england to Texas so we can be closer to my step kids....because we only get them every now and then and it tears us up. I think the one thing that has helped our family is that my husband and I, and my oldest do our best to make sure those two girls realize that no matter who is married to their father, they will always be part of our family.

You are a brave woman....but I think you will enjoy being a stepmom. And if you do end up having a child with your hubby, they can be a great bond that helps unite you and the steps even more. Well, at least it has with our family.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

oops...sorry I meant to say this as well....as far as ratty clothes and all that, I know he is paying child support and all that, but don't let their mom being a bum get in the way of your relationship with them. It may not be a bad idea to have clothes that they can change into when they come over. You can have them leave some of them there, and take some home, but not all. Don't make a big deal out of it, just say, why don't we keep some things here so you don't have to worry about packing a bag all the time?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Why does this woman need daycare if she doesn't work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit