Holy Grail of Free Energy Might be Possible

by cofty 14 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Every chloroplast in every green leaf on planet earth is wonderfully efficient at absorbing energy from the sun. In combination with a complex protein enzyme H2O molecules are gently eased apart and combined with CO2 to produce energy and oxygen.

A synthetic version of this process would make unlimited, clean cheap energy possible but it has so-far eluded chemical engineers. Until now....

Researchers at Florida State University have discovered a method of using manganese oxide – also known as birnessite – to capture sunlight and then use that solar energy to create an oxidation reaction read more...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting read, Cofty

And from what I remember about photosynthesis lectures, don't chlorophyll pigments contain manganese? I think so.

I have a question. Plants get the energy as a result of photosynthesis for immediate use from glucose, and store it as starch for later use. What about in the case of this free energy? How would energy be stored for later use?

• cofty
    cofty
    What about in the case of this free energy? How would energy be stored for later use

Sean B. Carroll wrote about this a few years ago. I think his idea was to replicate the enzyme to ease apart H2O to produce Hydrogen and Oxygen

"In a flame of pure hydrogen gas, burning in air, the hydrogen (H2) reacts with oxygen (O2) to form water (H2O) and releases heat. If carried out in atmospheric air instead of pure oxygen (as is usually the case), hydrogen combustion may yield small amounts of nitrogen oxides, along with the water vapor." - Quora.com

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    It seems I missed a bit: hydrogen can be produced and this could then be used as fuel. I suppose storing hydrogen could be do-able.
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

With scientific advancement cracking problems as quickly as it is, it seems reasonable that a way of using the vast amount of renewable energy beaming at the earth in the form of sunlight must be attainable at some stage. Global warming is basically an embarrassment of free energy waiting to be harnessed.

I hope this new development is a turning point but if it isn't we will surely find a way.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I can't do the measurements and the math but my intuition tells me that there's something very wrong with this idea. This sounds like an energy storage system not an energy source.
  • cofty
    cofty
    How can almost unlimited amounts of hydrogen not be a potential energy source?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Because it takes more energy to produce than what you get out of it.

Also, hydrogen powered vehicles are very dangerous. Hydrogen leakage from hundreds of millions of vehicles is predicted to have negative consequences for the ozone layer after a few years.

• cofty
    cofty
    Because it takes more energy to produce than what you get out of it

.Not if a synthetic enzyme has in fact been created. That is the point of the article

Also, hydrogen powered vehicles are very dangerous

I don't think anybody is suggesting hydrogen vehicles.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

There's a maximum amount of energy that can be gathered from the sun by any means. Solar cells, for example, are 15-20% efficient. I don't know how efficient tree leaves are in converting energy but a synthetic version of photosynthesis is not likely to be more efficient. You might as well have high efficiency solar cells provide electricity directly.

Again, I can't put out the figures like a peer reviewed science paper would but there's simply something fishy about this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit