Did Jesus COME with the clouds of heaven in 1914?

by Fisherman 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Take for example Revelation 21: 10

“….and he showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. “

Here John sees something happening, action. He even describes the reality of Jerusalem coming with a measurement in the forthcoming verses.

Compare with in Revelation 22:20 Jesus is saying:

“Yes, I am coming quickly.”

And compare Revelation 1: 7

“Look! He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, and those who pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief because of him.”

Also compare with Mathew 24:30

“Then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”

Did this happen in 1914? Are the end of the Gentile Times in 1914 and Jesus coming the same event?

I think JW explains that Jesus returned in 1914 by becoming king which is the beginning of his “clouds of heaven” invisible Parousia and it keeps on developing and keeps on coming until it climaxes into the great tribulation. At that point everybody will have to know and forced to see the reality that everyone has been denying exists. It is irony and literary device( the kingdom of God is on your midsts) overtaking humanity with the reality they refuse to see.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Since Jesus’ coming explicitly follows the ‘great tribulation’, the JW interpretation is quite obviously wrong.

Since it was explicitly expected within a generation of Jesus (after the ‘great tribulation’ from 66-70CE), most modern Christian interpretations are also quite obviously wrong.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jesus said he is coming quickly ? ......2000 years ago ,need I say more ?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

In his defense, it’s not quite 2000 years yet. 😂

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Since it was explicitly expected within a generation of Jesus (after the ‘great tribulation’ from 66-70CE)

The foretold GT realized within a generation whether generation meant 70 or 80 years or before the death of all the Apostles in the first century . Part of the great tribulation prophecy also foretells the Parousia which obviously did not occur in 70 because in Revelation Jesus refers to another GT which would precede the Millennium to which the olivette prophecy fully applies: the separation of the sheep and the goats, all the tribes of the earth involved, and the final judgment of mankind as Revelation explains. I’ve already explained JW view. Believe what you like. Very interesting observation that the 1C Christians were expecting Jesus to return after 70 but since Jesus describes another gt in Revelation detailing the fall of Babylon the Great, Armageddon, etc, his coming with the clouds of heaven ( which was ironically alluded to during his ascension) is related to the great tribulation referred to in Revelation after the gt of 70CE. Jesus coming with the clouds of heaven implies invisibility and the significance of every eye will see him means with the eye of understanding such as with someone that rejects all evidence until he is checkmated and forced to see and admit his defeat —with poetic justice and in the poetic language of the Bible.
    That’s how we at JW see it. You have your view.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

And… you’re wrong.

The ‘great tribulation’ described in Revelation is the same one. You just don’t understand the genre. 😔

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

That’s how we at JW see it. You have your view.

i always smile at the use of the Royal "we" referring to the closed exclusive brotherhood of the barmy army.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    we at JW see it.

All I meant is that is how JW see it, including me.

• TD
    TD

1914 marked the third separate occasion an Adventist group invoked the invisible explanation when the tangible events they had predicted failed to materialize.

Since a heavenly, invisible event can't confirmed or falsified, it becomes a matter of faith for those who accept the explanation.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

On this account, you too prove yourselves ready, because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it.

Since Jehovah’s witnesses are saying the Son of man indeed came in 1914 as they predicted or prophesied as it were. Then they are making Jesus a liar when Jesus said he is coming at an hour when they do not think to be it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit