JWs - What Proves That They're a Cult

by Black Man 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

I think one MAJOR point that proves that the JW's are a cult is that YOU CAN'T LEAVE WITHOUT BEING STIGMATIZED. All you have to do for other religions is take your name of the membership log or just resign. For JW's you can't leave unless you're DF'd or DA'd. You can't just go in one day and request to be taking off the membership log and expect to move on quietly and peacefully. They must stigmatize you.........Anybody feel what I'm saying?

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

That's exactly what I use to define them as a cult too. If it weren't for that I would have left that religion when I was 17.

TimB

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I was thinking about this question the other day. Noone leaves the org without paying a fine price. Its sad but so true.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes, and it's especially hard when those who stigmatize you are loved family members.

It's all part of the CONTROL that the WT headquarters have over people's lives. The members are persuaded to look to them for every little decision in their lives, like what celebrations are okay and which aren't, whether higher education is okay or not, the list could go on and on.

So too the members are persuaded to listen and buy the party line that every former member of the faith is evil and under Satan's or this world's power, and must be avoided OR ELSE!!!!

It's all about control, and this stigmatization is a major aspect of that control. It's not normal human behavior, it's not even "Christian". It's "Watchtower-ese".

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In Stephen Hassan's book, he lists a number of questions that reporters can ask people to determine if they are in a cult.

My favorite is: Are you allowed to associate with former members? They always say "yes". Then ask: When was the last time you talked to one?

Another question is: What are some things that your members don't like about the organization? They always answer "there aren't any".

Another is: Do you have one set of teachings for those inside the organization, and others for those outside? They always say "no", so you can hit them with examples.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Leaving without penalty is a good example of a cult.

Not being allowed to question, not being allow to reason, not being allowed to "study" outside materials...... list goes on

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I love posting this link... warning signs of a cult. The WTS fits almost every one of the items:

http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html

• happyout
    happyout

I'm feeling you big time!!!!

The lucky ones who are able to "fade" without being DA'd or DF'd still suffer, because we know any day the light could become brighter the WTS could change their rules once again, and forbid association with "inactive" ones. There are people I grew up with who now will barely speak to me (and againl, I'M NOT DA'D OR DF'D).

Hate mongering, hypocritical, pedophile loving, false prophesying, murdering sons of bitches .......................

Happyout (stomps off muttering)

• Gadget
    Gadget

Thanks for the link doc. When I first came to this board I didn't believe that jws were a cult, and that the claim was evidence of how apostates had wacked out thinking. Then I read that link posted on another thread and it knocked me for six. It was one of the main things that made my mind up that I could never be reinstated, no matter how much I needed to I could brown nose them anymore.

Paul

• codeblue
    codeblue

It's like the song "Hotel California"... We are programmed to receive, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave....

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit