Evolution doesn't happen today...WRONG...

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus
    Hi ttdtt

I am not BASHING Science. I am not against Science. I like Science when it simply explains things. “Science must not impose any philosophy, any more than the telephone must tell us what to say.” (G. K. Chesterton‏) Because I do not want to say like Bertrand Russell before his death: “There is darkness without, and when I die there will be darkness within. There is no splendor, no vastness anywhere, only triviality for a moment, and then nothing.”

But I want to echo the sentiments like this one: “Even if I turn out to be wrong, I shall bet my life on the assumption that this world is not idiotic, neither run by an absentee landlord, but that today, this very day, some stroke is being added to the cosmic canvas that in due course I shall understand with joy as a stroke made by the architect who calls himself Alpha and Omega.” (Clyde Kilby)

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"I like Science when it simply explains things" - Venus

Well then, you are in luck!

Why do you insist on quoting people so often? Can't you formulate your own thoughts? In the 2 paragraphs above you quote 3 people...

• venus
    venus

Hi WhatshallIcallmyself You are asking: “Why do you insist on quoting people so often? Can't you formulate your own thoughts?

There is a reason. My dad is a Jew (Mom is Christian) and my grand father is a Holocaust survivor. While going through the horrors of Auschwitz, many victims used to discuss between themselves why this kind of things happen on earth. One of them has put it this way [which has gone on record]: “If we present a man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present man as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind-machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drives and reactions, as a mere product of instinct, heredity, and environment, we feed the nihilism to which modern man is, in any case, prone. I became acquainted with the last stage of that corruption in my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment—or, as the Nazi liked to say, of ‘Blood and Soil.’ I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some Ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.”–Richard Weikart The Dehumanizing Impact of Modern Thought Darwin, Marx, Nietzsche, and Their Followers
    http://www.independent.org/publications/article.asp?id=2274

• cofty
    cofty

Venus there is no justification in the Theory of evolution for the racist ideology of the Nazis.

• cofty
    cofty

Even if you could draw a straight line from Darwin to Hitler that would not make evolution untrue, it would just make it an inconvenient truth.

• venus
    venus

Cofty,

You may be right. But victims, like my grandpa, had no other way of explaining the horror they were subjected to.

It is true that similar horrors can be performed even by those belonging to religions (as happened from Rome during Dark Ages). This is because they were materialists in their hearts who were using religion for their unjust ends. This is true with pedophile Elders, Priests and other “religious” people …etc. They are “having a form of godliness but denying its power;” “wolf disguising” “whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.” (2 Tim 3:5; Mat 7:15; 1 Tim 4:2)

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Hey Venus, who made god?

Did heaven exist before god existed or did he make it after, or did heaven always exist? Is heaven (which is a specific place as per the bible where god lives) also co-eternal?

If god existed for eternity:

1. How did we get to now? if god existed forever ago - how could we ever get to now, unless god had a beginning?

2. If god existed forever, why did he wait so long to make Man? If he was self-sufficient, and completely happy and fulfilled, why did it take literally forever to make a. jesus, b. other angels, c. man? Did he get discontent at some point, or board even?

Just asking.

• venus
    venus

Hi ttdtt

These questions are too simple to answer.

Matter has always existed in some form or the other since matter is materialization of energy which can neither be created nor destroyed. So is the case with immaterial beings such as my mind, your mind and the Supreme Mind. Hence question of who created God, who created His residence are all redundant.

I don’t need an explanation from Science for the existence of my mind which I know exists and which I know is immaterial. I exist, and I also know that I exist. Moreover, I am a consciousness with a conscience that is capable of distinguish not only what is right and wrong but even the various shades of them. So is the case with your mind and the Supreme Mind.

I know many scientists who are modest and balanced who say our area is to stick to what is quantifiable and empirical, God may exist or may not exist which doesn’t come under our purview.

Regarding souls or Supreme Soul being happy or unhappy. I know my very nature is happiness. I feel unhappy because I chose to be so by diverting from my nature, and I continue to be unhappy till I return to my original nature. For example, I am shouted at by someone. Now I am thinking about it--questioning it how, why ... which means now I am diverted from my original nature by taking the words of another person to hurt my self. I am creating the hurt--not the words of another person. After some time, I begin to think--how can his words hurt me unless I hurt myself; what if I let those words unheeded ...now I am returning to my original nature of happiness. This is the case with all Minds.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"I know many scientists who are modest and balanced who say our area is to stick to what is quantifiable and empirical, God may exist or may not exist which doesn’t come under our purview." - venus

Whilst discussing science I do not think you will find many, if any, scientists who say science can show something about 'god'. However, when someone makes a claim regarding a 'god' it often does come under the remit of 'science' and therefore that claim can be tested.

Yes, we cannot show either way if there is a god or gods.

Yes, we can say with certainty that this particular claim made by a proponent of a particular flavour of god is wrong/right.

"So is the case with immaterial beings such as my mind..." - venus

You mind is very much 'material'. If you think otherwise, try scooping your brain out of your head with a spoon and then pop back on here and let us know if that affects your ability to write this stuff...

• venus
    venus

Hi WhatshallIcallmyself

Here the question is not about what is material and what is immaterial? Question is dependency. When I know my core existence is immaterial, why should I depend on Scientists for explaining to me that it is immaterial. Science does not invent self, it is the other way around. My self with its mind is immaterial on its own merit and it is self-evident and too obvious. You may be aware that some eminent scientists like Einstein who went on record saying they arrived at some of their theories first through intuition and later they verified them through scientific means. Intuition is obviously from an immaterial source.

You can also google "atheists who unexpectedly underwent NDEs changed their view that everything can be explained through matter." You will be surprised to know there are some very prominent former atheists among them. They were very sincere in their former atheistic beliefs. You can also continue to be sincerely materialistic till you have an experience to the contrary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit