If you knew there was no reward for serving God would you still serve him?

by Happythoughts 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

Do you think most people would serve him?

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I would rather have no reward than false promises of unfulfilled rewards.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

What's that one Kingdom Melody? "Always keep your eye on the prize"? We were also encouraged to keep the paradise firmly in our mind. I think that says a lot. Most will claim they do it because they love God, though.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    What's that one Kingdom Melody? "Always keep your eye on the prize"? We were also encouraged to keep the paradise firmly in our mind. I think that says a lot. Most will claim they do it because they love God, though.

That's the problem with the JW religion..... always looking for a payoff -- no joy in the journey.

• Special K
    Special K

Hey.. I never thought about that song before

"Keep your eyes on the prize"

Maybe that is what J.W.'s remind me of

Rabbits.. with a head band, and a wire hanging from the head band down in front of them.. with a carrot dangling just out of reach.. Never to get it.. BUT HEY.!!.. WHAT A PRIZE..!! Keep your eyes on the PRIZE.

special k

• not_tellin
    not_tellin

Good question. I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "serving God" though. If you mean just being a kind, generous, and loving person then I'd like to think that yes, people in general would continue to be kind, generous, and loving even if God was not bankrolling the operation.

On the other hand, if you define "serving God" as going out in service for at least the national average, and to all the meetings, and giving talks, and not having unauthorized facial hair, and not celebrating holidays, etc, etc then no. If you take the reward element out of that equation, it becomes very difficult to continue to "serve God".

• micheal
    micheal

That's what really gets me about these jw's. Oh yes of course I do these things for love of God and neighbour. Sister blah blah is now being interviewd at this years circuit assembly. "Sister blah blah, why do you pioneer, oh brother blah blah ( same last name ) of course it's because I love Jehovah and my neighbour. That's such a nice cozy answer sister blah blah."

"But wait this just in from Brooklyn, there is no everlasting life, I repeat there is no everlasting life" Assembly hall empties quicker than a bag of cookies near a fat boy.

• not_tellin
    not_tellin
    "But wait this just in from Brooklyn, there is no everlasting life, I repeat there is no everlasting life" Assembly hall empties quicker than a bag of cookies around a fat boy.

Holy crap, that's funny. That's going in the act . . .

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

LOL micheal that is frickin funny.

i was ALWAYS in it for the new system. like i'm going to make myself miserable for years on end if there's no everlasting life and a baby elephant with my name on it waiting for me in the future?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Be a Hero, Save a Whale!
    Save a Baby, Go to Jail!

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
    Hold on! Hold on!
    Hold on!

Paul and Silas Went to Jail
    They Had No Money to Pay the Bail

Hold on! Hold on!
    Hold on!

This is just all I know of this song....

*shrugs!*

Yiz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit