Latest WT has some Awesome Points for Struggling JWs to Consider

by Funchback 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Funchback
    Funchback

This is long but I hope it is well worth the read.

For those of you who are still active as JWs (be it due to your own will or because you are trapped), please consider the October 15, 2003 WT entitled, 'How Can I Make Wise Decisions?'.

Consider these points that come straight from the 'faithful & discrete' mouth:

First, they quote Napoleon Bonaparte: "Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious than to be able to decide." Then, the WT says:

You may agree on both counts, since people generally treasure being in control of their own lives.

If the WTS trully believes their OWN words, then there is nothing wrong with taking control of your OWN life. In other words, perhaps now is the time for you to determine WHO is really controlling your life: Is it you? Or, is the the 'faithful and discrete' slave?

Next, the article says:

In matters of major importance, it is vital to make wise decisions, since happiness is largely dependent on our doing so. Some people may feel that they are quite capable of making such decisions and may reject help when it is offered. Is that wise? Let us see.

What is more vital than to be in control of our own lives? As the article states, happiness depends on OUR making wise decisions. SO, I wonder why the article is beginning to hint that we will need OTHER peoples' input in order to make wise decisions. Hmm...

The next article is entitled, 'How Can You Make Wise Decisions?' First, it quotes Solomon: "A wise person will listen and take in more instruction," Then, the article states:

Most of us have at times made unwise decisions simply because we neglected to listen to the advice of others.

Continuing, the article says that Solomon and others wrote 3,000 proverbs. The article asks, "Can we benefit from knowing and heeding his wise sayings?" The WT reasons that, YES, we can benefit because they help us to "know wisdom and discipline..."

If you are in the "truth" but you have your doubts or if you are 'on the fence', why not try to follow the advice that the article next gives:

It may be helpful to put down on paper what the short-term and the long-term consequences will be.

Personally, I feel that the short-term consequences of becoming a JW is that you give up some good, non-JW friends and you stop celebrating the holidays. The long-term consequences are shunning relatives and also not giving anything back to the community. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions and experiences regarding the consequences.

The short-term results of choosing a certain job may be good pay and enjoyable work. But could the long-term consequences include having a job without a real future? Might it eventually require that you move elsewhere, perhaps away from friends or family? Might it subject you to an unhealthy environment or be so uniniteresting as to leave you profoundly frustrated? Weigh the pros and cons, and then decide what should have priority.

Please substitute the word 'RELIGION' for the word 'job'. Then, think ESPECIALLY about the JW religion. Might being a JW require that you move elsewhere (to serve where the need is great or to join the circuit work), away from friends or family? Might it subject you to an unhealthy environment (like, serving in disease-ridden area of Africa or in a congregation where a molestor dwells or in a religion that doesnt allow you to express your personal view or seek professional help) or be so uninteresting (the meetings, conventions, and assemblies) as to leave you profoundly frustrated (see the everyday life of a typical married JW).

The article goes on by saying something that ultimately takes the WTS off of the hook when it comes to decisions about taking a blood transfusion or going out in field service or shunning a loved one:

Of course, when seeking counsel and learning from the experience of others, we ought to do so in FULL RECOGINTION and also BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY for doing so.

There you have it. The choice is YOURS. Which road will you decide on which to travel?

PS...The article went on to talk about how we need to make the wisest decision by studying with JWs and getting baptized. Believe me, there is a lot of pressure being put on the reader to get baptized. Phrases like "don't delay", "action is required", "what prevents you from getting baptized?" and "decide to study God's Word."

And I thought the decision was ours.

• waiting
    waiting

Thanks for the info!

Of course, when seeking counsel and learning from the experience of others, we ought to do so in FULL RECOGINTION and also BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY for doing so.

That would be the kicker. I'm speaking for a lot of the jw women I knew - they HATED making decisions - particularily with a disclaimer put in all bold: FULL RECOGINTION and also BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY for doing so.

A LOT of sisters are going to go running to the "anointed with holy spirit" and "spiritually trained by God's Anointed Servant" elders for counsel on how to make such a personal decision.

Circular reasoning?

• You have freedom of choice.
    • You bear all responsibility for your personal choice.
    • You have been trained to seek the elders guidance on almost everything in your life.
    • Go to the elders for guidance in making your personal choice - if you're a "spiritually mature christian."
    • After elders, you have freedom of choice.
    • You bear all responsibility for your personal choice.
    • If you make the "wrong choice" the WTBTS will disfellowship you - as it was your choice.
    • If you make the "wrong choice" the WTBTS will disassociate you - as it was your choice.

Or just an Evil Web of Deceit and Duplicity?*

waiting

*been reading too many mystery novels.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good Post Uncle Herman.

Amazing how you can read between the lines, once you master the WTBTS "doublespeak" language.

• Funchback
    Funchback

waiting...

Excellent bulletpoints! Thanks for the assist.

Funch

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

So you see Brother Questions, it is your choice and entirely up to you... however if you do not heed my humble advice Sister Ugle Outfit will have to shoot you.

• Funchback
    Funchback

xjw_b12...

It is amazing, isn't it? I see the blatant double-speak and trickery the WTS uses.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LMAO!!!...speaking of Dubs and jobs... I just heard of a little witness girl in my hometown congregation. She is a pioneer, still living at home. She works for a brother who owns a company that assembles the little fiddly parts of something for xxx product. Anyways, he just retired and left his company in the hands of his non-JW sons. They in turn, have hired some people who *gasp* aren't Witnesses!!! So this little Dubbie pioneer girl quit her job so she wouldn't be exposed to worldly association!!!

Bwahahahaha! Get real kids!!!

Odrade

• Nikita
    Nikita

Excellent Funch!

Odrade, that is so typical. In my experience, there was more stuff to be worried about within the congregations than without.

LMAO at Elsewhere's pic!

Nikita

• rocketman
    rocketman
    So this little Dubbie pioneer girl quit her job so she wouldn't be exposed to worldly association!!!

Amazing - so where does this self-righteous jw girl think she's going to get a job? Maybe she hasn't looked lately, but since jws are only 1 in 1,000 population-wise, her chances of finding a job that has no "wordly association" connected with it are close to nil. Good luck.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Nikita-

Remember when we were teens and we both worked at Roxie's? You were the Cashier and I was the Bagger. I remember telling Brother Williamson (Larry Williamson) that I thought it was wrong for you to work as a Cashier because you had to sell cigarettes.

What a BUTT I must have been!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit