Did Satan lie or was it the truth?

by shotgun 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    And that my friends is where MR.Potato Head got his start.

It is? I figured there was an inconsitency with that biblical account about the potato and the apple. Oh wait, I wrote that. I must be one of the annointed!!

• shotgun
    shotgun

Gumby..Gumby..Gumby

According to the bible perhaps god DID tell Eve directly. When she and Adam were naked and HIDING in the garden.....God said..."did you eat from the tree I commanded you not to eat from"?

Also the lie from Satan was...."you possitively will NOT die".....not that they would know good and evil.

God told them they would die that day..which they literally did not...And just as Satan promised they came to know good and evil just like God.

The whole story is interesting also in that according to the account if you do not know the difference between right and wrong it's ok to be naked. Throw a snake around your neck and your really happening..get him to talk and now we have real show stopper.

No one mentioned the 1st option for redemption which was eat off of the other tree instead of ransoming Jesus thousands of years later. I'll take option 1 please.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Ever notice in the cover of your NWT that is shows the approximate location of the Garden of Eden. I wonder if that angel (or was there two?) is still there keeping all us stupid offspring from entering the Garden of Eden.

• Loris
    Loris
    And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil

Before Satan deceived Eve where and what was the evil that the "us" knew? And who were the "us"?

Clearly there is more to the story that we are told.

Loris

• Nickey
    Nickey

I've heard so many interpretations.

I've heard one where it was said that God didn't say that he would Die that exact second. But that he would die. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But he would die unexpectantly. But then the scripture states "in that day..." So that ain't it.

Or one where to Die doesn't only apply to life itself. Or maybe life is something totally different than just breathing and being conscious of it. But it can be interpreted as to die as in failing. Or "A part of me died that day..." To be cut off from the Garden of Eden, which is life. Any thing outside of it is opposite. One dictionary described it as "To become spiritless." or souless. To cease gradually. Adam being able to live hundreds of year... today we're lucky if we make it to 70 years old.

But I can say that if there was an Adam... he's dead today.

I've heard so many. In the end, I don't think this way or that way. I just wait and see....

• gumby
    gumby

To be honest.....much of this allegory can be traced to older similar beliefs that were before the genesis story........and......where the heck is LittleToe when you need him?

Gumby

• startingover
    startingover

Why is everyone ignoring FunkyDerek's post?

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Funkyderek made a good point. Claiming the serpent to be Satan took place hundreds of years after the Genesis account was written.

And, according to the account, God told Adam "on the day you eat from it you will positively die"

It didn't turn out that way, (the scriptural verse claiming 'a day is as a thousand years' wasn't written until long after the Gensis account, so the writer of the account would have had in mind a literal day). If you believe the account, Adam lived 930 years. Even if you don't, he didn't die 'in that day', but lived long enough to have children.

Also according to the account, the eyes of the man and woman WERE opened.

In the Middle East, the tree of life was a common theme, and serpents were viewed by most cultures as representatives of wisdom. The writers of Genesis took earlier Sumerian accounts and modified them to suit their own culture and religious beliefs.

Gaiagirl

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I don't believe satan ever existed.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby: I missed this post, first time around. FunkyDerek (in absentia - hope you're enjoying Brazil, buddy):

Satan isn't mentioned in this account at all (and barely in the Old Testament). There is no indication anywhere in the bible (except perhaps the book of Revelation) that the serpent in Genesis was anything other than a talking snake. And everything he said would happen happened.

Agreed. Albeit it doesn't look like he expanded much about the sting in the tale. He did a typical WTS double-speak. Say one thing, but twist the glossary so that it means something else. SpunkyChick:
    Humour us, huh? We're in the middle of deconstructing it Personally I take it that he died in a spiritual sense. After responsibly giving them skins, he turfs them out, never to speak to them again.
    He did, however, speak to their offspring...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit