Teenagers fascinated by the military

by SonoftheTrinity 10 Replies latest social family

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

They seem to be rebelling by studying every aspect of the military behind their mother's back. I tell them to keep their noses clean and become Coasties if they must trod that path. Is this par for the course?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It's this generation in general, I think.

Even non-jw's of my generation X were very anti-military. I had friends who protested against missiles at Greenham common in the 80s, we had the anti Vietnam sentiments among the baby boomers. War, and those who made it, were not popular to those who grew up between ' the greatest generation' and the millenials.

Now its seen as a sensible option for a career in terms of training, health care & pensions...a nice early retirement.

I worked at a military hospital at one time and the nurse's there said the NGOs were more at risk than they were when I said I wanted to join 'medicines sur le mond' or 'sans frontiers'. I agree its a smart move...but if they're planning on being a front line soldier as a parent of an *American child I would worry, if I'm honest.

Edit I'm not just to be clear

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The only real regrets I have in life -

1) Not getting out of the Witness organization earlier.

2) Not enlisting in the military,

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Gimme half an hour on video call ill be able to put them off it for life!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Come on then Scrufmacbuff spill the beans !! For us dreamers who regret not joining up!!*

*I know it's not the same but I had the happiest time of my working life in that military hospital - I LOVED the girls there and fitted right in ( my patients were all soldiers)

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Oh im exagerating it wasnt so bad. It had its moments and im left horrendously scared.

I dont regret joining but at the same time i wouldnt do it over.

Theres more to tell but i dont know peoples thresh holds on gross stuff so ill keep that to myself!

• stillMS
    stillMS

It's quite natural for the boys, I guess.

Overall, it's a satisfying and pleasant thing to be a pacifist, but the reality is cruel - and a country without military support will not last for long (at least it has been this way throughout all mankind history till nowadays).

• stillin
    stillin

The religion rips anything masculine away from teenage boys. Sports, self-defense etc. until they are totally emasculated. Small wonder if they look for an outlet.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think kids are very interested in WW2 and WW1 in particular, the history and the ordnance.

Hey ScruffI'm sorry. I can only guess it involves loss of those you see as brothers...and given the fact you've probably been shunned those relationships to you in particular, well, the feelings would run deeper than normal.

I hope you have a lot of love in your life at this stage. You deserve it.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I love the Army when I was a kid.

Loved war movies, John Wayne.

Loved building model planes and tanks and ships.

Kinda a guy thing I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit