Which is better minimum wage or minimum income?

by hoser 53 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

It is very difficult to pay people in the same workplace different wages. Everyone thinks they are geniuses and have the most stellar work ethic.

• Simon
    Simon
    It is very difficult to pay people in the same workplace different wages. Everyone thinks they are geniuses and have the most stellar work ethic.

It depends if it is skilled work or labor. Repetitive or labor tasks can come down to 'how much did you do' or piece work. If that is too difficult then it becomes hourly or daily rates.

At a certain level though knowledge, expertise and experience is a commodity and you can negotiate your remuneration specifically to you.

This is why the obsession that the Hollywood-driven left has with taking Hollywood actress fees as the battle line is utterly retarded. Everyone is completely unique. They should be campaigning to make sure that people working further down in the chain are paid the same, but I guess they don't care about them. Actresses aren't paid the same so how is it meant to be "gender inequality"? Stupid.

• hoser
    hoser

I have managed companies with 50 plus employees and the problem is you give one guy a raise and the next guy figures he deserves a raise also. We’ve tried bonus systems based on production but that doesn’t work either. I’ve actually caught some shifts sabatoging the next crew so they don’t get bonus.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Stores will go cashier-less in the future it's inevitable. Scan your credit card as you enter, everything you pick up is tracked and scanned atomatically when you leave. Fast food can be done with AI and eventually will be I imagine and probably better, the local Mac's for eg, the twelve yr olds that work there couldn't assemble a burger or get an order right to save their lives. There doesn't seem to be any pride in that kind of work now. I did my stint in fast food like many people did but the standards just don't seem to be there anymore apparently everyone is too good for these lowly jobs now. Everyone expects to be CEO by age twenty three.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Minimum wage protects vulnerable and exploitable members of society from those who will exploit
    Can we name some candidates for this? I'll start:
    Illegal immigrants

No, wrong. Illegal immigrants are not protected by minimum wage. They work "under the table", for whatever money they settle for. Many times, they will get paid less than minimum wage - it's not like they can complain to anybody. They are not even allowed to work in the first place.

Minimum wage does serve a purpose, which is to protect the folks that are the least skilled and have the least options. If it was not for minimum wage, employers would off jobs at $3 dollars an hour, and the folks who have no other option would have to take them.

• sparky1
    sparky1

1. Universal basic income for everybody.....from the poorest to the wealthiest.

2. No more welfare in any form. Abolish food stamps, fuel assistance, rental assistance, etc.

3. Close all welfare offices and make those people get a regular job.

4. No minimum wage. The hard workers and the aggressive people will rise to the top.

5. No more income tax. The current income tax system is a penalty system. The harder you work, the more you pay.

6. Base taxation on a National sales tax of 20% and a State sales tax of between 12.5% and 17.5%. The more money a person has, the more that they will spend. This will move our government (USA) from taxing our personal production to taxing our consumption. Both production and consumption should (theoretically) increase.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

UBI is coming, not if - when.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Minimum wage does serve a purpose, which is to protect the folks that are the least skilled and have the least options.

It does the exact opposite. It causes unemployment. It literally reduces options to nothing for many unskilled laborers. Well, unless you count welfare... it makes that option very compelling.

If it was not for minimum wage, employers would off jobs at $3 dollars an hour, and the folks who have no other option would have to take them.

So? If that is what your labor is worth, then you need to take it and learn more skills. Find anything you can and take it, or else you will never get anywhere.

If your labor is worth more than $3, then employers won’t be able to get away with offering that to you. Your labor is valuable and you will be bid away by competitors, and through that mechanism, your wages will rise to meet their value.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@sparky1:

I agree with all your numbered points, except 1 & 5.

Concerning #1: If you give everyone a basic minimum income, what do you think will happen to prices?

Concerning #5: To supply any product, you have productions costs. There are entire supply chains, with consumption along the way. Production will increase in cost, what do you think will then happen to prices?

• Simon
    Simon
    No, wrong. Illegal immigrants are not protected by minimum wage...
    Minimum wage does serve a purpose, which is to protect the folks that are the least skilled and have the least options ...

Those statements seem to contradict each other. Either minimum wage can be imposed or it can't. Either it's there or it isn't. If people can employ and be employed for less than it then what is it exactly? Just a PR stunt to punish the law abiding while market forces are employed for the rest?

I don't think people actually understand how market forces work and how trying to distort the market inevitably doesn't (but may win votes in the short term).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit