Which is better minimum wage or minimum income?

by hoser 53 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

One of my arguments for min income is that it would cut out a lot of government administrators. We wouldn’t need old age pension, employment insurance, welfare, disability. Minimum income would cover all of these so the cost of running the program would cost less

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

" Which is better minimum wage or minimum income " ?

Neither. Better wage and better income is what people need. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Couldn't say it any better myself.

• hoser
    hoser

Minimum wage protects vulnerable and exploitable members of society from those who will exploit

• Simon
    Simon
    Minimum wage protects vulnerable and exploitable members of society from those who will exploit

Can we name some candidates for this? I'll start:

Illegal immigrants

• hoser
    hoser

People with mental or physical disabilities, youths and people who are easily bullied by others are some of the vulnerable who need minimum wage or income to protect them.

As far as illegal immigrants, if the CBSA would spend their efforts on illegals instead of harassing Canadians coming back with an extra 10 ounces of rum in their suitcase illegals would be far less a problem.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It doesn't matter if evidence shows minimum income would cost less, improve lives, promote creativity and entrepreneurship. and improve the economy as whole, some people will oppose it no matter what.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Really slim? At best minimum income is stealing my money and giving it to someone else to sit on their ass. Society dosent work when people are rewarded for for sitting around.

• Simon
    Simon
    if evidence shows minimum income would cost less, improve lives, promote creativity and entrepreneurship. and improve the economy as whole

Do you have such evidence? No, of course not.

Is there evidence that paying people to do nothing is a welfare trap and money sink? Yes, lots.

The minimum income is an idea pushed by the likes of Mark Zuckerburg who wants the government to give people money because they can then charge those people to use facebook. What better than government funding of your customers ...

What would it actually do for the world except reward the lazy and feckless.

• cofty
    cofty

Minimum wage - as in minimum hourly rate - has been a positive thing in the UK. It has been supported by politicians of both sides and gradually increased over recent years.

Anything that rewards idleness is foolish.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think minimum income is better. Minimum income doesn't have to be something that allows you to live comfortably. It can just be something that ensures you can have basic shelter, minimum required food, clothing, healthcare, etc. Basically, people should be living in poverty but without starving.

This way, there is still the motivation to work because few would choose to live in poverty if they can help it, but at the same time you look after those that are out of work for some reason, until they find work.

With minimum wage, you have no power to progress financially if you're in a job paying minimum wage and you can't get another higher paying job. And what happens if you lose that job? You have no income! So minimum wage can be like slavery. But minimum income is a basic protection for all that will give employees the freedom change employment. It better equalizes the power play between employee and employer so that neither has too much undue power over the other.

In fact, I don't think it should be a case of either or. It should be a case of both! You have minimum income to allow the unemployed to survive uncomfortably without starving and without taking away the motivation to find employment. And in addition you stipulate a minimum wage to ensure employees are treated fairly. So basically you would have a minimum income for everyone and working people get at least a minimum wage added to that. No working person would be living in true poverty. Only the unemployed would be poor but at least they won't starve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit