Story Time

by joannadandy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I LOVE Mercer Mayer!!

And I actually bought "Just for You" for my nephew. I was totally enamoured with the little critter series when I was growing up.

I have pondered doing some of his.

Still some great suggestions coming in...thanks guys...I will probably pick several of them.

• Valis
    Valis

Jo! I found it!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

THANK YOU VALIS!!

I kept turning Grimsby in my head...I knew it was something with a G and something "bad"/"dark". GOREY!! Finally, I can get some rest!

Anyway--storytime was great. I went in an hour early and just went through and picked out a stack of books. One of my friends was trying to convince me I should read the new Madona kids book. Yeah. I passed on that one. (For anyone wondering about 7-8 picture books will take you an hour to read, if you really ham up the voices and pausing. Hee hee!)

I set myself up over in the kids book area. There were two little boys playing with the legos. I figured they were my audience, but then dad came, yelled at them, and they all left. I thought I was going to have to cancel story time.

All of one kid finally showed up. Hahahaha! And she was kind of a fluke. Her mom happened to be walking by and saw me writing Story Time on the chalk board, and asked when it started. I said "Right now I guess."

So Emma and I sat together in the bean bag chairs, and I asked which order we should read the books in. Hey when you're the only child you get to run the show. I kept thinking maybe more would show up. But no. It was just the two of us. Which was fine. Nothing like having your own personal storyteller right? She and I chatted it up about books. Her favorite book in Kindergarten, (which I happened to pick for us to read today) was The True Story of the Big Bad Wolf. She was quick to tell me she is now in First Grade, but she doesn't have a favorite book for this year yet.

So we read the Big Bad Wolf story first. I'm sure most of you have seen it. Heck, I picked it cuz it was one of my favorites when I was in elementary school.

We read this one next. It's is based on the Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. (I'm a Lit. major, I HAD TO FORCE THIS ON THE CHILDREN!) It's really funny. Even if you don't know the orginal. The two kids, Morty and Ray, watch the old movie and give you there run-down on what happens, then they paint the own picture and act mean just to see if the picture changes. It also makes liberal use of fart humor--which was a big hit!

This was number three, and my personal favorite. It's a siamese cat, (I used to have two, so I am a bit partial to the breed anyway) and he is very imaginative. He ends up getting a time out and he thinks he is a Chiwawa named Skippito the Bandito. It gave me the chance to do a really horrible mexican accent. (Picture Bevis as Cornholio and you have it about right).But the book is hillarious and the pictures are really cute. By the way--my horrible spanish accent, also a huge hit! Plus there is lots of Bean talk. Also a good source of comedy.

This was a pretty cute and simple story. A sheep helps a fairy out of a bramble bush and gets to have wings for one night. Cute pictures, and humor.

Totally cute story. Great pictures. Plus you get to have a pirate accent. Also a big hit. Tho apparently not as gut bustingly funny as my mexican accent was, it still got some giggles.

This one not so funny. But great illustrations, and a sweet story about a car full of relatives coming from Virgina to visit. Highlights all the stuff you do when relatives come to vist. She still seemed to enjoy the story, even if it wasn't the laugh fest the others were.

This was the last one we read together, and I think it was my favorite. Herb, the little boy on the cover, falls into his fairytale book. Aside from getting screamed at by Goldilocks for ruining her "page", he realizes he drew mustaches on all the women, and phones in all the pictures that ring all the time, a couple pages are upside down because he put them in wrong, Prince Charming has gone missing because he cut him out to put on a birthday card for his mom. Eventually he escapes and fixes the book...tho he puts a padlock on the 3 bears door, and gives Goldilocks a permenant bad hair day, and realizes he should take better care of his books. It's a TOTALLY cute story with very creative illustrations, and I think some humor adults will like too.

So that was that. Her mom came back to pick her up, and thanked me so much for keeping her daughter occupied for an hour. I think she was surprised I didn't cancel it because only one kid showed up. But what the hell! It was funny anyway!

Thanks for all your input guys--I know I was horrible and didn't use any of them, but they were a good starting point none-the-less, and all of them are GREAT books.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

you MUST take me to buy Skippyjon Jones this weekend. Mel will be tickled pink!!! i'm not sure i will ever understand that child's obsession with "Chee-wahwahs!", but hey, it's worth it if it makes her giggle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit