GRACE? GRACE? What the F*** is GRACE? Jehovah's Witnesses have no idea!

by TerryWalstrom 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I think all of us Ex-J-Dubs have had the --I'll call it a privilege--to exchange views with others who think differently than we do. We encounter "Christians" from mainstream churches.
    Our dialogue is sort of...like speaking to Martians.
    Sooner or later, an Ex-Dub smacks into a wall. That wall is a subject which is NEVER spoken about or taught by the GB or Watchtower with any candor. It is, however, the number one topic in the majority of Christian Churches. That subject seems weird to both Dubs and Ex's.
    GRACE.

The Bible uses words like “forgive,” “believe,” or “hell.” But more often than those words, the word GRACE appears 170 times. Wow!
    How did THAT happen?
    We "think" we know what it is--but only because the GB redefined it for us as "undeserved kindness." Then, leaves it as merely that.
    Grace is THE most important Christian teaching and the least important JW topic.
    Why? Being a JW is about behavior.

The "faithful" characters of the Bible are viewed in terms of their behavior. These folks very often aren't very good moral examples, however. Yet--YET God uses them and loves them. Go figure!

Depending on which particular Christian denomination you attend, you will run into mainly 1 of 4 DIFFERENT flavors of GRACE:
    Common grace
    Free grace
    Irresistible grace
    Prevenient grace

Why? What the heck is this all about?
    I'll boil it down to this. If God wants you--chooses you--to worship Him, HE MAKES IT HAPPEN by granting you that privilege--and YOU CANNOT RESIST!
    Crazy? You bet!
    The encounter--that personal emotional experience of being "SAVED" is a free gift--IF GOD CHOOSES TO GIVE IT to you.
    It isn't the human being making the choice at all--it is God doing the choosing and the granting of Faith and Belief supernaturally.
    JW's don't, won't and can't understand this.
    Their "faith" is intellectual and artificially contrived.

JW Faith is about obedience to the GB.

Genuine Faith is a free Gift to "certain people" and they do not deserve it by virtue of "believing" on their own or being convinced. GRACE is not egalitarian.
    Belief, Faith and Salvation (according to mainstream scripture) is TRIGGERED by hearing the Word of God and ---then the magic happens--or doesn't.

Weird as it sounds. This is why Christianity is so different from Jehovah's Witness theology. JW's try and "earn" salvation by works and acceptance of GB opinions.
    For mainstream Christians, it is about a "free" gift because God chose to give it to them.

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

The Watchtower concept of Undeserved Kindness is almost as far from Grace as you can get. I've struggled with this reducing my self worth because it was undeserved.

• notalone
    notalone
    They take the word 'grace' with all its beauty and turned it into ' you are undeserving of kindness'. Each sunset, each fluffy puppy, each crispy bite of delicious food tells me I deserve kindness. Not only do I deserve kindness but all do. it is all around us. It connects us. It shows us a path to a higher version of what we can be. So if by no other standard than this it is clear that the NWT could not be from a God that values us, cares for us and about us. So if it is that you have a personal belief in God may His grace be with you.
  • sir82
    sir82

"Undeserved kindness" is an effective term, if you want people to be chronically depressed, have low self-esteem, and just generally be as miserable as possible.

"Every nice thing that ever happened to you....you DON'T DESERVE IT! YOU MISERABLE WORM,

• NikL
    NikL

Every other translation I checked says "grace" where the NWT says "Undeserved kindness".

It reads so much clunkier that way...the other way is so...graceful if you will.

I looked at the kingdom interlinear and they have "χάρις, ιτος, ἡ" translated undeserved kindness.

Strongs says...

charis: grace, kindnessOriginal Word: χάρις, ιτος, ἡ
    Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
    Transliteration: charis
    Phonetic Spelling: (khar'-ece)
    Short Definition: grace, favor, kindness
    Definition: (a) grace, as a gift or blessing brought to man by Jesus Christ, (b) favor, (c) gratitude, thanks, (d) a favor, kindness.

I don't see "undeserved" anywhere.

• carla
    carla

Trying to talk to a jw about grace is like trying to talk to a Martian who absolutely cannot grasp the concept. It just circles around to 'undeserved kindness' and that's all they got, they just are not programmed to go beyond those words. Banged my head against that wall more times than I care to count, have since given up.

What a shame, if they could grasp the concept perhaps their concept of God would change too?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Sooner or later, an Ex-Dub smacks into a wall. That wall is a subject which is NEVER spoken about or taught by the GB or Watchtower with any candor. It is, however, the number one topic in the majority of Christian Churches. That subject seems weird to both Dubs and Ex's.
    GRACE.

That's a little pretentious. What makes you think that I as an ex-JW never heard or learned about the concept of grace? Again, my JW upbringing didn't deter me from learning about, as you put it "the number one topic in the majority of Christian Churches", as well as many other topics.

In fact, many ex-Jdubs do go around learning MORE about the bible, about Christianity in general, about pretty much every other concept that other faiths teach that the WT doesn't. Why do you think some join other faiths? The decision of remaining an ex-jw is not solely based on what was taught (or not) by them. A lot of ex-jws end as such precisely because they find a whole lot about a lot of things they never learned before.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They well know about the gift of grace but it's reserved for just the 144k and of course them.

• baker
    baker

Christian at the dinner table: Son, can you say grace?

JW at the dinner table: Son, can you say undeserved kindness?

Big difference...

• anointed1
    anointed1

From the same Greek root we have both grace and charm; hence grace is something you deserve because you attract donors towards you because of your inherent good qualities. In this context, God says: 'If you love me I will show grace upto 1000 generations'--EX 20:6

Hence the term undeserved kindness may not be an ideal combination of words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit