Embarassment: At the Door - No. 1

by Amazing 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

We have all had some bad moments at the door ... I have had my share ... so, I thought I would share mine in a series of short post:

I was working in a territory with a group, going door to door. We broke up and worked individually. So, one door I called on was opened by an elderly lady who seemed really kind and interested in what I had to say. She invited me in to sit down so I could talk in comfort. I was highlighting the "Last Days" and started reading a verse from 2 Timothy 3:1-5 that talked about conditions in the Last Days ...

... normally, I would stop at the end of verse 5 and apply it to our day and how we are clearly in the Last Days ... BUT ... for some reason only known to Jupiter, I continued reading:

"For this sort creep into houses, leading captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts."

Well, this women's eyes opened wide, and she shot up out of her seat, and started showing signs of fear ... she backed away toward her kitchen ... I then suddenly realized just how that verse must have affected her ... I jumped up and asked her not to be afraid ... but that only made her more afraid and she ran into her kitchen ... so, I quickly left, and got down the street and found the rest of the group ...

I never went back to her house ... and I never shared that story for a long time ... I felt very bad that reading such a scripture frightened the nice lady ... I had no way of explaining it to her ... there is just no defense for this ... and it shows how we can get off track by preaching something fed to us by an organization. I never did that again.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Not a gaff on my part, but an embarrasing moment -

I was at a door using an Awake issue on eating disorders. The young woman who answered and hear my presentation said "I don't have an eating disorder!" and was visibly upset. I tried to explain that the article was just for educational purposes and we were not implying that it applied to her. After that, I decided to use something else, and later warned a group meeting for service that the article could elicit a defensive response.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

You know, I have say that I'm amazed by some people's kindness - enough to envite strangers in. Interesting story, Amazing.

By the way you are drooling, Amazing. Are you on something?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Thanks for sharing

• Special K
    Special K

sounds like she didn't know "WITCH" way to take what you read..

either that, or you have a profound affect on certain types of women.

I don't know

special k

• SM62
    SM62

I am so glad you have embarassing moments. I don't mean that in a horrible way.

I feel embarassed every time I go out. I don't even need to say anything. I always feel such a prat!

Does anyone else feel a prat just by simply going out on field ministry?

Terri

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Sunshine,

By the way you are drooling, Amazing. Are you on something?

My new moniker is actually an action Smiley that gets blood shot eyes, then turns totally red and dies ... then is born again ... errr ... better not say born again ... come back to life ... reincarnated ... errr ... anyway ... for some reason, the action does not work when it is plugged into forum from its web site ... so it stopped where it was at in the action ... drooling ... I just let it stand as is ...

• mustang
    mustang

Terri,

"Does anyone else feel a prat just by simply going out on field ministry?"

I got tired of the total, unnatural atmosphere of the fIELD mINISTRY. After a few thousand hours of pIONEERING, I QUIT!!!!

Twice since quitting, I have had discussions with total zealots; I let them think they were getting somewhere. Of course, meetings come first, then they drag you back to FS, right?? That's the game plan according to Hoyle & Brooklyn on re-"jump starting a stalled Dub"

So, after NOT REFUSING or debating the admonition to go back to meetings, I let them continue on to the next step. Then, I slammed the toilet lids on their necks as they were taking a drink: I said "I WILL NEVER GO BACK OUT IN FIELD SERVICE"!!!!

And this totally takes them by surprise. They are invariably too simple to see that YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THEY ARE GOING WITH THIS!!!

You just have to be there to appreciate the total "deer frozen in the headlights", "stopped in their tracks" expressions these zealots get.

Mustang

• SM62
    SM62

Mustang,

So are you totally cut off now - I mean no more ministry OR meetings?

I would love to escape but can't at the moment.

Terri

• anglise
    anglise

Good thread Amazing

I can remember one time mistaking a man for a woman and used a phrase something like "and a lady like yourself etc".

They quietly put me right and I sort of said "oh I meant your mum" lol. a lie as well.

I never returned to that call.

BTW welcome to the board Terri. I hope your JW life isnt too stressful.

Anglise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit