Answer to E-watchman re: Is questioning reporting time just nit-picking?

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Here is E-watchman's latest reply to a witness who is questoning why time has to be reported when it is not in the Bible. My reply is at the end of E-watchman's reply.

1. The WTS claims it uses the Bible as its "supreme authority". Where in the Bible does anyone count their time in preaching on a slip of paper and are assigned record cards of activity, determining this as a "gauge to their spirituality"? Where in the Bible are Pioneers, Auxiliary Pioneers, District Overseers, Circuit Overseers, Bethelites, and Kingdom Halls?

Considering that all Christian denominations today practice things that would have been foreign to the 1 st Century Christians, this is more a question of nit-picking and fault-finding in the way Jehovah's Witnesses operate on an organizational level than a search for truth or whether we carry out matters in a Bible-based manner. For example, 1 st Century Christians didn’t even possess personal copies of the Scriptures, which at that time were contained in dozens of unwieldy individual scrolls and letters that were copied and circulated among the congregations. Also, the early Christians met in private homes and in public places. There were no churches, no cathedrals, and no kingdom halls. As proof of that, consider Paul’s greeting at Colossians 4:15 to a woman named “Nympha and to the congregation at her house.Incidentally, besides meeting at our kingdom halls, Jehovah’s Witnesses also regularly meet in small groups in private homes—like the early Christians.

As for the organizational structure of the early Christian church, at Ephesians 4:11 Paul wrote that God provided the congregations with various gifts in the form of men; “some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers.” While all Christians are called upon to make a public declaration of their faith, some early Christians were outstanding preachers. Phillip, for example, was called “the evangelizer.” The so-called pioneers among Jehovah’s Witnesses are also referred to as full-time evangelizers because they spend a significant amount of time in their ministry.

Circuit overseers and district overseers today are following the pattern of the apostle Paul and Barnabas, in that the apostle and his companions traveled in a circuit, visiting and revisiting brothers and congregations and writing letters of encouragement and instruction. For that matter, Mark 6:6 reports that Jesus also “went round about to the villages in a circuit, teaching.” One function of our modern CO (Circuit Overseer) is when he makes his semi-annual visit to each congregation; he not only teaches, but discusses the spiritual qualifications of any prospective elders in consideration of appointing them to an office. At Titus 1:5, Paul instructed Titus to do that very thing on the Island of Crete. It reads: “For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might correct the things that were defective and might make appointments of older men in city after city, as I gave you orders.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses have in many respects copied the model and methods of the original Christians. The actual organizationally-assigned names of various positions of responsibility may not be found in the record preserved in the Greek Scriptures, but the positions of responsibility can be found therein. The naming is merely a convention, exercised by all denominations.

Concerning the recording of time spent in the ministry and there being kept a "card of activity," while there isn't an actual incident of this in the Bible, neither is there a prohibition of such; simply put: the Bible is silent on the matter, either way.

----------------------------------------------------

And my reply...

Dear E-watchman One answer you gave in your mailbag disturbed me and I will address this below. Someone wrote to you and asked why is it necessary to have to hand in a field service report, when the first century Christians did not do this. Your reply was that we shouldn't be nit picking at things as small as this and that the first century Christians didn't even have their own copy of the Bible. I have to disagree with this. When you look at a field service report, what do you see? Fields for magazines, brochures, books, studies, return visits and hours. On it's own this would seem a reasonable way to report and track organisational progress. However, when you take into consideration the JW culture, one realizes that it is more than just filling out a few numbers and putting the time slip into a box at the back of the hall, or giving it to our book study overseer. Why? Firstly, those numbers say a lot, especially when it comes to determining the so called 'strength' of the congregation. How many times has it been said from the platform that anyone reporting 5 hours or less is a 'low hour publisher'? How many times have people been counselled over their 'low hours'? How many times has a brother been counselled to 'do more hours' if they wish to be appointed as a ministerial servant or elder? How many times have individuals had a 'shepherding call' because their hours have 'dropped'? How many times have we heard it said that the circuit overseer 'reviews each brothers publisher card to recommend an appointment? How many times have we been told to 'keep up with the congregation or national average'? How many times have we had our congregations national average compared to the national average, for better or worse? The other side of the coin.......... An elderly widow who is disabled can only make 3 hours a month. She feels guilty for putting in her field service report when her congregations national average maybe 8 hours a month. A husband who works six days a week to support his family can only go out on Sunday afternoons. This is his only day where he does not have to work. Yet, his failure to go out on service on Sunday afternoon would mean he has nothing to report. His monthly report: 6 hours A full time student who has masses of homework and assignments to do, in addition to working a part time job to help pay for his living expenses tuition can only report 1 hour a week. He/she does not have time to make return visits and bible studies. His monthly report: 4 hours A mother with three kids who stays at home while her husband works full time. She can only go out on Saturday mornings for a couple of hours. Her monthly report: 8 hours A pioneer sister who lives at home and works part time. Her monthly report: 70 hours An auxiliary pioneer who works full time. His/her monthly report: 50 hours A bedridden brother who has a debilitating disease. His monthly report: 15 minutes A poor immigrant family where everyone of age has to work to pay the rent. The head of household may only be able to go out twice a month. His monthly report: 2 hours You see, that little slip of paper which you say to question the motive of having this system, is not so little an issue after all. We claim to imitate the first century Christians, yet we are far from imitating them? As you say, it is not recorded in the scriptures that Jesus' disciples had to report time or not. We know that they could measure hours. Yet did Jesus tell his disciples to count time and tell him how much they did? Of course not. Why does the Society then tell us to count time? It's a good idea to keep track of literature placed, one could keep track of how many magazines or books a congregation needs, and I do not have a problem with this. Yet, how many return visits you make, how many hours you spend preaching is between yourself and Jehovah, certainly not for the Society to make judgements on your level of spirituality by means of the elder arrangement. Why should my spirituality be determined by how many 60 minute intervals I spend preaching? This guilt trip that many witnesses feel, and I'm talking about those who are told they aren't doing enough, could they do more, puts an unreasonable amount of pressure on them - to the point where some lie about their time just to keep the elders of their back. This is a case where the governing body has 'gone beyond the things written', by establishing a system where loyalty to the organisation is measure by how much time you spend preaching. Some witnesses feel motivated to preach, not out of love, but out of guilt, always feeling that what little they do isn't good enough, or that they have to compete. And what about appointments as ministerial servants or elders? Let's take a close look at the qualifications for those desirous of reaching out for a office of oversight. 1 Timothy 3:1-7 That statement is faithful. If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible a husband of one wife moderate in habits sound in mind orderly hospitable qualified to teach not a drunken brawler not a smiter but reasonable not belligerent not a lover of money a man presiding over his household in a fine manner having children in subjection with all seriousness not a newly converted man have a fine testimony from people on the outside and how about ministerial servants? 1 Timothy 3:8-12 ministerial servants should likewise be serious not double tongued not giving themselves to a lot of wine not greedy of dishonest gain holding the sacred secret of the faith with a clean conscience reporting 20 hours a month of field service. Which requirement can you spot that is not in Bible? I will tell you something. My father was exemplary in the congregation. He managed the literature department, he was regular in field service, he was a watchtower reader. Yet he was not appointed as a ministerial servant. Why? The answer came in the form of a little chat given to him by the service overseer. Basically, he wasn't doing enough hours. So all that service and help he gave at the hall wasn't good enough. It all boils down to how many hours we do. Isn't that so like a business corporation, where if you don't work overtime you are sometimes referred to as a clock watcher? Consider too the Society's latest article on the subject of 'reporting time' in the December 2002 KM, page 8. Do You Contribute to an Accurate Report? It is evident from these accounts that God's ancient servants put forth much effort to compile a complete and accurate report. Jehovah's organization today instructs us to report our field service activity each month. At the end of the month, promptly submit your report to your book study overseer. Notice here that Jehovah himself hasn't told us to report our field service activity each month - it is 'Jehovah's Organisation' And what happens if we do go out on service but choose not to report? After a time, usually 6 months, we are not even counted as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, if this is made known to others, we could end up being shunned as 'bad association.' There is, no scriptural precedent for enforcing 'traditions of men' to make us report time, and clearly, it is no petty issue.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Well said, truthseeker.

I think the original questioner misses the point. The Bible is very vague about organizational specifics. The early congregations had procedures, customs, etc that were not recorded in the scriptures. If you're going to have an organization--even if it's just a few dozen people--you're obviously going to need some procedures beyond what's in the Bible.

The real issue is not just that the time slip is not in the Bible; it's that it contradicts biblical principles. And I think you showed that very well. I hope that e-watchman publishes your response.

• Francois
    Francois

Yup. It's just an artifice used by JWs to set up an elite group within an elitist group. They should hang their heads in same. I'm certain some in-house statistician has developed a formula that equates hours of field service with dollars of revenue and the by God want that threshold met: Ten hours a month and NO less.

francois

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wow; something in the initial question rang my head like a bell -

"Where in the Bible are Pioneers, Auxiliary Pioneers, District Overseers, Circuit Overseers, Bethelites, and Kingdom Halls?"

I'm willing to grant that even in a classless and non-heirarchical system like the WTS (ouch! I bit my tongue!), there will be some kind of organization, and different "jobs" will have different names. So I don't have a problem with job titles. Even chickens have a pecking order.

BUT - early Christians, and the followers of Pastor Russell, met in mostly small groups, mostly in homes, and rented facilities when they needed larger accomodations. Jesus ate the last supper in a borrowed or rented room. The term "Kingdom Hall" was coined by the apostate infidel* Joseph Franklin Rutherford when he gave that name to the first such meeting place in Hawaii.

Allow me to digress...

Years ago, Roy Croc, the founder of McDonald's, asked a group of people if they could tell him what business he was in.

People came up with lots of answers - the hamburger business, the food service business, the customer service business, etc., etc.

Ray surprised them all when he told them that he was in the REAL ESTATE business.

The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is in the REAL ESTATE business too, isn't it? Their publication and distribution of "bible study aids" is a loss-leader for their primary interest - real estate. Even the Watchtower understands that God isn't creating any more real estate.

*Think this is extreme? How many of Rutherford's teachings are embraced by the WTS today? What would happen to one of today's JWs if they began a "comprehensive bible study" using Rutherford-era publications, and shared those teachings with others in the Kingdom Hall?

• yxl1
    yxl1

Fine post. Did you get a reply back from e-watchman? I've had a good read of his site, and although it is not your usual JW type, it still uses the "questions from readers" format to back its own aurgements.

Just a quick observation, How many Elders do you know that had the "qualifications" set out in 1 Timothy? The only similarity between Elders in my congregation and what Timothy wrote are: Having only one wife, and Not being a new convert. If anything, when 1 Timothy 3: 1-7 says what elders shouldnt be, it actually DESCRIBES elders; and where it tells what they should be like, it descibes no elder I have known.

You desciption of different situations within the organization, with reference to service hours, clearly shows the absurdity of basing ones spirituality on the "number of 60 minute intervals" counted. LOL

Thanks for the research. I will be bookmarking this thread to use at a later date!

yxl1

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

One of the members of the GB was addressing a Gilead graduating class and referred to them as 'good-for-nothing-slaves'. He repeated that remark three times for emphasis. He proceeded to say, "You are no better than a publisher that only goes out for two hours a month".

In one hand, you can put in 150 hours in field service and have to be reminded that you shouldn't get a big head over this. On the other, your field service slip is a measure of your spirituality.

Elders are appointed by holy spirit ( witness-speak). You can be involved in all kinds of congregational activities but if your field service work is not exceptional, you cannot be recommended. Once you are in though, you can slack off and just expect a slap in the hand from the CO, as long as you haven't pissed anyone off, or the rest of the elders can use it as leverage to have you removed. Elders scramble for quick-builds because it alleviates them from hour requirements. I know some elders who would actually go through anxiety whenever a quick-build was not scheduled.

The same people who fail to demonstrate Christ-like qualities, fudge their field service reports, are going to decide if you meet the qualifications for elder. Incredible.

• Panda
    Panda

How disgustingly truthful these posts are. And I especially agree with "where's caleb" who said that the same men who are not exhibiting Christ-like qualities and fudge their service reports are making the decision as to who should be appointed an elder. Holy Spirit, SCHMOLLY SPIRIT. Just another instance of power and control in little handed small minded Napoleans. Only not as educated as Le Bonaparte.

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Many people attack older churches such as the Catholic and Lutheran for having titles such as priest, deacon, and bishop. But remember, the english language is based upon Christianity. Priest comes from the greek presbyter, deacon from diakonis, and bishop from episkopas. Only recently have Protestant scholars used modern day equivalents such as elder, (whatever the equivalent for deacon is), and overseer. The church is a "pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15) and the bible should not be followed exclusively but also such things as apostolic tradition. What most protestants have trouble realising is that there is no basis for Sola Scriptura.

• Special K
    Special K

Field service reports.. are just some kind of measuring post. It's used to tell you that your not measuring up and then they whack with it..

No wonder so many people lie on these reports..

special k

(I always hated field service)..not natural in my opinion..but yet I brought 3 to the point of baptism.. truly the worst thing I have ever done.

special k

• Maverick
    Maverick

The time slips is one area that went right over my head. After reading the posts on this board I could clearly see how lame it all is. And when I read CoC and Franz talked about how they really didn't use the information as they told us they did, I was shocked. Just goes to show you how easily they run people over with their BS! Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit