Has anyone contested a Will and WON????

by cha ching 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cha ching
    cha ching

PS, I am in the U S., California. Thx Dagney, I shall give you a ring soon. And thank you, Jefft, I appreciate your aid, will do.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    Seek a lawyer that specializes in Wills & Estates law. If asked, most lawyers will say they do wills & Estates but you really need a lawyer immersed in this area of law, not a lawyer that prepares a couple dozen wills in a year.
  • JeffT
    JeffT

A question you need to ask yourself: is this worth fighting about? If it isn't enough money to pay a lawyer the correct thing to do is walk away. Remember that all of your mother's debts need to be paid, before any money can be disbursed.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I really want my other sister to get something. She is 64, and doesnt have much, she, especially, was cheated out of her inheritance. The house has no mortgage, c/b worth $6-700,000. There were other accounts listed. I knew of one for $100,000 plus, if my dad had a life insurance policy, another $100,000. So, maybe a million. The house must be repaired, maybe 50-60,000. So, 5 kids, $150-200,000 each.

Is this worth it?

I dont want to spend money, unless there is hope. I would probably have to use one of those "pay if you win" lawyers.

My dad would be so mad at this pettiness. It is a shame, makes me so sad.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

You don't seem to know if your poor sister is in the new will. Do you know if you are in it?

What your dad would have thought or how poor your sister is or how big or small the estate is makes no difference.

If you are not in the legal will, and you have no evidence that your mom was incompetent or coerced, don't waste your time and money trying to get the will changed.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Your sister, if executor, has full rights to handle the estate within the parameters that wills in your state provide. My suggestion is to work with her unless she does something that represents a breach of her mandate as executor.
    BTW, if you are named as a beneficiary in the will, the executor is required to provide you with a copy thereof.

Just out of interest, what can I do if an executor doesn’t provide me with this? My grandmother left me one quarter of her wealth. It wasn’t much in the end as she had to go into a home...but it was quite a few thousand. My mum cheated me out of it as my step dad was executor and my mother scape goats me. She shuns me but hated me since I as a little girl. Very narcissistic. What can I do as it’s been a few years....she lied to me about the will but I subsequently found a copy of it. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Cha Ching...so sorry, another example of the abiding Christian behavior of JWs :((

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

As a legal beneficiary of the will you had a right to see both the will as well as an accounting of funds in the estate account. Actually the lawyer or notary your stepdad used to probate the will should have sent all beneficiaries a copy of the document. Get his name and address from your stepdad. Tell your stepdad you suspect the estate was not settled properly and that you want a copy of all estate banking records. If he balks or will not provide you with all the details visit a lawyer.

My take is that the lawyer will draw up a letter calling for a detailed accounting of funds received and dispersed from the estate account. If your stepdad has cheated you, your call and the letter should put the fear of the law into him as executor.

• cha ching
    cha ching

VanderHoven, I was "in the will" as "disinherited... meaning, "you are no longer my daughter, you have no right to this money." Both my sister & I were basically disowned

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

BTW, if you are named as a beneficiary in the will, the executor is required to provide you with a copy thereof.

Not only a copy of the will, the executor is required to provide a financial accounting of the estate probate to any beneficiary or potential beneficiary who requests the accounting. That includes ALL assets, ALL liabilities, and ALL distribution of the assets.

I recently completed the executor duties for my mother, and am in the multiple year process of doing the same for my father.

If the executor refuses, or can be proved to be hiding or siphoning off resources that is termed breach of fiduciary duty.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Chaching

Sorry...looks hopeless friend!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit