HEY! 2001 CONVENTION POINTS

by Amazing 29 Replies latest jw friends

• esther
    esther

The food preparation for the conventions were the best places for the young ones to meet prospective mates. It was also a very good excuse to leave our seats before the end of the sessions, and a place to chat to ones from other areas. It was much better if there was no speaker in the food preparation area, of course. We got to enjoy ourselves and feel that we were being real christians. Boy, how interesting are talks and demonstrations when doing work was more fun?

esther

• Francois
    Francois

I haven't been to an assembly in something like 25 years, but I see the Borg's compassionate treatment of their robots is still as insightful as ever. Keynote address at 11:50. I remember by that time I was ready to eat the latest issue of the Watchtower and its companion magazine the Awake, for a contribution - to cover the cost of printing - of only.........oops, sorry, an old tape started playing there for a second. I must get that erased.

Anyway, lunch at one p.m. is a trifle late especially for young parents with children. And given the lines, it might just be lunch at two!

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

This is HILARIOUS!!! Brings back memories! I missed the food too when they stopped. I LIVED for it!! Plus like others said, volunteering got you out of your seat early.
    Did anyone else dread the keynote address? How incredibly boring!!!!!! I used to take notes just to stay awake. And I never thought they made any sense!
    As for "cruising" guess I was just never hot enough. I looked a lot, but never felt like anyone else was looking back!
    TW

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I recall one excruciating assembly from when my kids were wee little ones. I was exhausted by Sunday afternoon, and was sitting there yawning my head off, yawn-tears streaming down my face. A sis from our congregation turned to me,saw me wiping my face yet again, and said, 'I get sad whenever the conventions end, too. It's all right.'

!!!

I was appalled that she mistook my extreme boredom for weeping over the end of the program! I did NOT disabuse her tender notions, tho. Anyone that clueless needs to remain in blissful ignorance.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Actually everyone, there was a different underlying reason for not doing the food at the conventions anymore. The higher ranks TOLD you it was so everyone could partake of spiritual food, but it coincided with the changeover to "donation only" food systems in the USA. They weren't getting enough donations for the food service to run as efficiently as before, (read "not enough profits on the food to make it worth their while") so they came up with that other cock and bull reason to tell the "dumb sheep". That's just about the time my eyes were opening and I was seeing the real "truth".

RCat

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

The reason for dropping the food service was the Swaggart tax thing. If they charge fixed rate for food items, they have to collect, and pay, tax. Tax=disclosure of profits=public access to said profit statements=hard questions from r&f and detractors. Better to liquidate that little business than open the books to public scrutiny. There are after all many other ways to fleece the sheep...

While I'm sure donations were really adequate to cover costs, the Crooklyn Codgers prefer their profit pure and plentiful and, where possible, secret from you and me.

• DrunkWithLiberty
    DrunkWithLiberty

Monica,
    That is the funniest story. Thanks for sharing. This is a great thread.
    Hugs to all, Angie

• XJWBill
    XJWBill
    Hey Bill
    If I'd served you I'd have given you extras on your weinie [;p]

Damn! . . . Where were you when I needed you, Free? We could have made byooteeful music, er, uh, Kingdom Melodies togathair . . .

Bill

• esther
    esther

Oops, I forgot to put in my last letter how annoyed I always was with all the extra public talks, especially at the end of the program. I am, of course, talking about the closing prayers. The ones where they gave a rundown on the program. Utterly boring!!!!! They used to annoy me even more than the day text. Always made me think of that scripture in Mark 13:40 about those who make long prayers as a pretext.

esther

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Hey this is getting seriously weird.

I actually felt a pang of longing to go to a convention just now.

Think I'd better go off and give myself a stern talking to.

Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit