Letter to my JW Step Son

by Yerusalyim 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've been thinking about writing this letter since my other step son...Sean...went to visit his Dad at the beginning of the Summer...the good JW dad saw his son for a total of 3 hours out of the week he was there.

BXXXY, my step son who is still a slave Witness told Sean...who is attending classes to become a Catholic...that the Catholic Church taught that JW's will go to hell. Here's the letter I've finally responded with...I haven't sent it yet...you can make suggestions...which I can reject if I wish.

Sean mentioned to me that you said something to him on his last visit that has me a little concerned. I’ve thought long and hard about writing this letter and decided (finally) to go ahead and write it and send it.

Sean told me that you’d said to him that the Catholic Church teaches that Jehovah’s Witnesses are going to hell. And that you’d heard this in a Catholic Church.

Here’s my concern. First…the Catholic Church does NOT teach that Jehovah’s Witnesses…or anyone for that matter…is going to hell. Secondly…unless you’ve been going to mass on your own I’ve been with you every time you’ve been to mass. In that time Jehovah’s Witnesses were mentioned exactly 0 times. In fact, in my 39 years in the Catholic Church I can’t remember the Witnesses ever being mentioned.

The Church doesn’t teach that any one particular human is in hell, nor that any particular religion is “going to hell.”

Don’t just take my word for it…look it up…I’ll provide you the reference for the Catechism of the Catholic Church…which is authoritative and definitive.

Paragraph 838 of the Catechism says:

838. "'The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter.'[LG 15.] Those 'who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church.'[UR 3.] With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound 'that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist.'[

What this means is that all who call themselves Christians…who rely on Christ for Salvation, are considered to be part of the church even if separated from it as are the Protestant Churches…etc

So how could the Church condemn to hell those it says are part of them…For Christ has only one body…the Church. The divisions we as Christians have made are artificial.

Point in fact the Catechism addresses only the Orthodox Christians by name…no other denomination is mentioned. They’re mentioned because of how closely related we are in doctrine.

Another Point in fact…The Catholic Church doesn’t teach “hell fire” as understood by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Again…here is what the Catechism says in paragraph 1035

1035. "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, 'eternal fire.'[Cf. DS 76; 409; 411; 801; 858; 1002; 1351; 1575; Paul VI, CPG # 12.] The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs."

Note what I underlined, .] The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs."

Further, in 1033 it says:

1033. "We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: 'He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.'[ 1Jn 3:14-15 .] Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.[Cf. Mt 25:31-46 .] To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self- exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called 'hell.'"

Note the underlined…hell, separation from God for all eternity…is by choice…it’s self imposed.

Other fallacies I’ve heard Witnesses mention include that we “worship Mary” “pray to statues” etc…You can confirm or deny all this just by reading the Churches own documents. Worshipping Mary and praying to statues is a sin according to the church.

Barry, I’m hoping that it was what’s called “cognitive dissonance,” you heard it either at Kingdom Hall or while talking to an elder that Catholics taught this and unconsciously related it back to a time you went to Mass with me.

Further, from my understanding it’s the Society that teaches that Catholics like myself who will die in Armageddon because I’m an “opposer”. It hardly seems fair to me that God would kill me because I have a different understanding of the bible than does the Society.

I trust that you’re not being intellectually dishonest in this. I know that neither you, nor Craig, nor your Dad are happy about Sean’s interest in the Catholic Church, I hope lying wouldn’t be a part of “theocratic warfare” that you would resort to.

I didn’t push Sean to the Church…where he’s at he is at on his own. I’ve answered questions about the Church for him and…in the past when he was still going to meetings I challenged different teachings of the Society…much as I did with you.

Barry, I love you, and I know you’re sincere in what you believe, I’m proud of you for that. Sean has to trod this road he’s on for himself too. Actual or implied threats of shunning him are emotional blackmail. I’m not saying YOU’VE done this…but I’ve seen it in Witness families more than once. No where does the bible command us to shun those who still believe in Christ. Leaving the Society…should Sean chose to do that, is not apostasy, and therefore not biblical grounds for shunning…If Sean left he would be leaving the Society..not God.

At any rate…you’re mother and I are proud of you. We love you.

Michael

• gambit
    gambit

Yeru --

Your recent posts have been very well thought out and presented, this one included. I've like your tone and style... very moving.

I don't have much reference to "critic" this type of problem, but it reads, well, strong, possibly adamant in your position as well as your concern and love... My only comment would be a stronger conclusion

At any rate…you’re mother and I are proud of you. We love you.

how bout something along the lines...

With love and respect... , in other words, the "At any rate..." appears to me to imply discredit to his belief or your own belief that he really didn't read the letter (kinda like when someone isn't listening to your story, and you go, "Well, anyway....." and change subjects)...

It's heartwarming to see you take the time to follow through on this in a positive manner... It's gut wrenching to finally wake up 26 years later to all the BS I was taught to believe about other religions...

• JT
    JT

Yeru

Am I to understand that the catholic church does not teach or believe in a burning hell?

• Shakita
    Shakita

Yeru:

I was a Catholic growing up and became a JW in my early twenties. I just wanted you to know that I have learned a few things from your post that I wasn't even aware of when I was a practicing Catholic----obviously not a very good one.

I don't know your family problems in detail....but the letter seems good to me....to the point but not overbearing.

If only the JW's would find "new light" on the shunning doctrine, so much heartache and pain would be spared.

Good luck to you.

Mrs. Shakita

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Thanks Shak,

My profile gives the basics of my story.

Michael

• Robdar
    Robdar

Michael,

I think the letter is a good one. There is no doubt that all protestant religions have very big misunderstandings regarding the Catholic and the Orthodox doctrine.

I think that your letter reads kindly. If your step son becomes upset, he is wanting to become upset.

Let us know how he responds.

Robyn

• bebu
    bebu

That's a great letter, Yeru.

My questions: when was this catechism you quote published? Has it always been this way? From historical statements I've read, it doesn't seem so. If it has changed, or if there are conflicting statements out there from the past, then Bxxxy has a leg to stand on...

bebu

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi:

The historic Christian faith has often described the pain of being in hell with that of fire. However, it is unclear how literal that is to be taken. The fact of the matter is that the Church has consistently taught that hell is for those individuals who make a conscious decision to reject God for all eternity. Hell is eternity without God.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is available in most bookstores. The copy I have was published in the early 1990's. It is an excellent book and cleared up a lot of the misconceptions that I have had about the Catholic faith.

Jeff S.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Former Catholic, signing in.........

I went to Catholic school from 1st grade through my senior year in high school. Hell was always taught to us to be eternal darkness, eternal separation from God. However, we were taught about "limbo" which was for people who were not baptized but were not doomed to the darkness of hell.

Great letter, by the way!!!!

• talesin
    talesin

Actual or implied threats of shunning him are emotional blackmail. I’m not saying YOU’VE done this…but I’ve seen it in Witness families more than once. No where does the bible command us to shun those who still believe in Christ. Leaving the Society…should Sean chose to do that, is not apostasy, and therefore not biblical grounds for shunning…

... since you asked. I might suggest leaving these sentences out. They may put him on the defensive since they are commenting on his beliefs and you really want him to 'get' the points you are making above about RC doctrine.

Yeru, this is a great letter, clear, concise and v. loving. We should all be so lucky to get this type of communication from our dads. I hope he can 'hear' you.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit