HELP!! Ladies, Dress me for L.A. Please Help

by badolputtytat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

My wife and I are being sent (all expense paid) to Beverly Hills , on the 28th of this month, to participate in the Lifetime Television Network for Women, Breast Cancer Awareness thingie.

Four days and nights of social functions, and dinners, and a concert.... FORMAL and Dress attire.

PLEASE HELP, we will be staying at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, Beverly Hills (where the movie "Pretty Woman" was filmed) The Concierge will be dressed better than I am, if you don't help me.

I am an artist, living in Georgia... I know blue jeans and t-shirts..... I need some idea of what to wear. (and no I don't want to look like I just stepped in from field-service.... )

ANY SUGGESTIONS???????? PICTURES????? LINKS?????? FASHION ACCESSORIES????? Does your man dress pretty snazzy?? Is there a t.v. or film star that has a nice sense of style that you like???

Thanx...

puttytat

• jgnat
  • teejay
    teejay

For you, definitely a tux. If you don't own one, rent one.

For functions: A couple of 2piece suits. Dark ones. One charcoal; the other navy. Powder blue or white oxford shirts, conservative ties. Black shoes. Black sox. Black belt.

For casual: sport coats. A taupe herringbone check with charcoal slacks always works. Navy blue blazer with cream slacks is also good. A linen suit with a dressy white t-shirt is way cool -- way California.

For the Misses: a short black dress with spaghetti straps and pumps. For the function itself, depending on her age she might wanna dress down with a full-length gown. But if she youngish and the body is tight, she could easily pull of something more daring. Remember: it's California.

For casual, a linen pantsuit with sandals would easily work. I got other ideas.... if you need 'em.

If all else fails, just tell 'em that you're from Georgia and don't normally go to stuff like that. Be yourself and let your personality shine through. You'll be fine.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Do you like to dance? This would be a good choice

This is good for going out to dinner or party
    if it gets cold...
    If it gets too hot..
    great for traveling..
    Great if you need something a little more flashy that says "I am Somebody"
  • badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Thank you guys for your help.... and uh... you too Irongland...The 70's LIVE

The wife is used to this sort of thing, but I am not.... I just don't want to embarass her, ya know? It's like teaming up Corporate Business Woman, with a cross between Don Knotts and Jon Bon jovi.

It is the casual dress thing I have issues with... the tuxedo, I think I have down. But I don't think one shops at J.C. Penny's for this type thing.

Question: Neck ties are out-dated. right? and I haven't had a hair cut in years... any suggestions...(from this century Irongland

--puttytat

Be yourself and let your personality shine through. You'll be fine.

p.s.... Tee Jay.... I don't have one of those, so the clothes will have to do.

• berylblue
    berylblue

You didn't specify if money's an issue (or if you did, I missed it)
    Ebay is the way to go. I will think on this.

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

nope Berylblue.... money is not an issue.... within reason. what do guys spend on clothes these days? hmmm... maybe $600.00 for four outfits? I dunno???

• kls
    kls

How about a suit jacket without tie,casual shirt and casual pants or skirt if you prefer.In LA . anything goes. Have a safe trip and congradulations.Don't get all stuck up now because you know we on this board will deflate you'r big head. Your friend Kathy

• jwbot
    jwbot

In LA... $2000 a suit is a normal price. har har, but what normal people actually do that? $600 for 4 outfits might be a little short though, in my opinion.

Get a GQ mag and look throught there for ideas, don't buy the expensive stuff, but copy the style for sure. For a casual look, keep the button down shirts, nothing plaid EVER. Do not button the last button, and maybe even the sleeve buttons. For formal, check out the mag ;)

Teejay...no one says "pumps" anymore. hehe that made me chuckle ;)

For tghe lady, I do not know her type, but sleek and sexy is where its all. Good colors: nuetral tones, gold and black. What is her hair color and skin tone? Hair color? She should go to a moderately priced store and ask for help, sales people are good for that. Get a makeover from a salon too.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

puttytat--silk.

silk shirt, same color silk tie. silk or silk blend pants---pleats are out, flat front is in. Watch Queer Eye on Bravo. Italian leather shoes. shoes in LA can go more euro and warm weather than other places...those woven leather oxfords with the tassel are cool. if you are basically a warm colors sort of guy--browns, golds, beiges, creams, olive. If you are more cool colors--greys, silvers, muted medium toned blues, cool taupes and khakis.

this is autumn. formal formals--always black for both of you--make sure she has some pearls and sexy shoes. also appropriate are creamy whites--no white whites. The big thing in womens formal is 'goddess' gowns or drapey things that look like Aphrodite would wear it and the colors for this fall are(according to Cosmo) Rose, Pea-green, Gold and Bronze.

sounds like fun!

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit