Remembering September 11, 2001

by UnDisfellowshipped 39 Replies latest social current

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Remembering 9-11-01:

I encourage everyone who wants to, just to post their own personal memories and experiences of 9-11-01 here.

Also, here are a few things you may want to look at:

http://september11th.com/silence.htm

"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)," penned just after the attacks, by
    Alan Jackson:
    "I'm just a singer of simple songs
    "I'm not a real political man
    "I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I could
    "Tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran
    "But I know Jesus and I talk to God
    "And I remember this from when I was young
    "Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
    "And the greatest is love."

Psalm 23: THE LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not lack. He makes me lie down in green
    pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters. He refreshes and restores my life;
    He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake. Yes, though I walk through
    the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod
    and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my
    enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely only goodness, mercy, and
    unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the
    house of THE LORD shall be my dwelling place.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was watching the Today show. Matt Lauer was interviewing somebody, but then he put his hand up to his ear and held his little speaker thingy like he was listening to something. He indicated that there was some breaking news and they were going to stop the interview and cover whatever this breaking news story was.

At that point I walked out of the room into my kitchen to tend to my eggs that were cooking on the stove. I came back and there it was, big black plumes of smoke rolling out of the WTC.

I didn't know what to think. I was still a JW at the time but I had got to where I couldn't stand Watchtower-world and didn't really believe a lot of it. So I wasn't thinking "hooray Armageddon" or anything, I was just numb to it.

• Englishman
    Englishman

For many of us on this side of the Atlantic, this was the most moving video clip of all. It's at Buckingham Palace and shows the immense sadness of the visiting Americans who can't get home because of terrorist precautions. The Queen authorised the Guards to play the US anthem as a mark of respect for the American people.

Here's the site, click on the video play symbol: http://www.yolo.net/wpd/ssb.html

Englishman.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I, too, was watching the Today show while reading the morning paper....I was kinda paying attention when *something* happened....

I started channel surfing to see what was happening and all the news shows were showing what Today was...I went to CNBC which had a view from the other side of the Manhattan....

CNBC knew something major happened. They had Ron Ensana (TV financial analyst) go down to see. He ran down to the WTC with camera men and was there when the second plane hit....they had him live on the air. He was in tears.

I was crying....All I could do was cry.

For months, if I saw footage or read a story about it, I cried. I am crying as I type this. Watching people's horrified faces on live TV, while they watched people jump from buildings will be forever burned in my brain. Watching them run in terror, in the ash and soot.....I will never forget

ABC just showed their footage of Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer from 9-11-01...they were talking and suddenly they cut to the WTC burning saying it looked like a plane must have hit the buildings and because of flight plans and the way plane routes are, it would be unbelieveable for a plane to get that close.....it had to be a horrible accident....it could not be planned.

They continued to show them talking about it and showing the image of the burning tower; suddenly, Charlie groaned/yelled. "Another plane just hit the other tower....this was not an accident".

FOX News just ran all of their coverage from 9-11-01, the most chilling:

Watching people jump from the buildings...the reporters on the street were yelling that people were jumping to their deaths to escape the flames and death by fire.

How could someone jump from 80 floors up, knowing they were going to die?! I am chilled to my bones thinking those persons last thoughts......

Hamas, your comments are very insensitive and uncalled for. I am disappointed.....

• Shakita
    Shakita

When I arrived at work, someone told me about the towers being hit by a plane. We watched on tv as the first plane struck the tower...I remember saying, "OMG!, Osama didn't do enough damage the first time from the bottom, so now he has struck the top!" Mr. Shakita has a neice that worked across the street from the WTC...so I was immediately worried about her. Later, we were to find out that she was late going to work that day, and coming up from the subway saw the towers on fire and people jumping to their deaths on the pavement below. The person I worked for that day was a lawyer in downtown Manhattan a block away from the WTC towers. He was also late that day and on the train to work when the towers were struck. He immediately came home, and as I watched him approach the tv with his hands on his head saying over and over again, "Oh My God, Oh My God"....and then he collapsed on the couch in shock. His face is imbedded in my memory and I will never forget the look of disbelief and shock that I saw there. What I didn't know at the time was that, as he was watching the towers fall, he knew that his good friend was inside and he was watching him die. I went home myself after that and waited for word on our neice, since we thought originally that she worked in the towers themselves, not across the street.

It is such a sad, sad day.

Mrs. Shakita

• Hamas
    Hamas

I remember sitting at home on my one day off ; my father phoned me to tell me to switch the TV on. By this time, the first plane had already smashed into the building. I stayed glued to the screen for hours and watched the whole thing, so sad.

That night, I had decided not to go to the meeting but after the attacks, I needed to change my mind.... these were exciting times.... could this be the start of something big ?!?!

I discarded whatever people were saying.. every witness was blabbering on about how it was the start of the great T. About a year later, I had left.

Its a shame ; the whole world stands for September 11 ; but nobody remembers the terrorist attacks made by America on many different countries over the years.

However, I salute the heroes of September 11, and pay utmost respect to the dead.

• obiwan
    obiwan

Its a shame ; the whole world stands for September 11 ; but nobody remembers the terrorist attacks made by America on many different countries over the years.

Aw man don't start. This is supposed to be a day to be remembered, not start a flame war about who did what, geez........

Let's all just count our blessings, for not being one of the victim's that day.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Hamas,

BITE ME! Such idiotic comments coming from someone carrying the name of a terrorist group...the murderers of women children and old men (how brave).

FORGET THE BUILDINGS...REMEMBER THE 3000 DEAD!

• Hamas
    Hamas

Yeah ok maybe that was inappropiate.

• talesin
    talesin

I was watching 'Canada AM'.

The newsreader said "wait a minute, we're going to our affiliate in New York. A small plane has apparently crashed into the World Trade Centre".

They were speculating that a private pilot had a heart attack. A clip was shown of the first plane crashing into the tower.

Then, they showed the damaged building. All of a sudden, another plane came from the edge ofthe screen and smashed into the other tower.

At that moment, I realized I was watching the murder of thousands of people who would die before my eyes, AT THIS VERY MOMENT.

For a few seconds, I sat there, horrified, tears started running down my face. I ran to the bedroom and woke my partner. We sat on the couch for hours holding each other, crying, while the bad news just carried on and on with the Washington bombing, the plane crash in Philly.

I'll never forget it. After about 2 weeks, I stopped watching the news clips, knowing that each re-viewing of the attack was a retraumatization and a reliving of the event. I have not watched it since.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit