NY homosexual HS and Brown vs Board of Education

by Adam 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

The Supreme Court in Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka unanimously declared that separate educational facilities are “inherently unequal” and, as such, violate the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which guarantees all citizens "equal protection of the laws." A year later the Court will order states to begin desegregation "with all deliberate speed."

Isn't segregating schools into hetero and homo in direct violation of this ruling?

• amac
    amac

Yes.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

It's my understanding that if it's a school that does not receive federal money you can set up a school of any kind you want, and invite or exclude who ever you want.

There are several charter school in Minnesota that have a theme or focus.

• Adam
    Adam
    if it's a school that does not receive federal money you can set up a school of any kind you want

New York City has done what many of us would have considered unthinkable just a few months ago – announced plans for the first taxpayer-funded, all-homosexual high school.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33805

Don't get me wrong, I rejoyced when the supreme court made it's decision on the Texas sodomy law. I think you should be able to do whatever you want with whomever you want in your own bedroom. But I don't think that a tax payer funded high school for whites, blacks, homosexuals, short people, cross dressers, or whoever is constitutional.

• Adam
    Adam

Also, simply being a privately funded organization or service provider doesn't allow you to discriminate at will. Several male-only clubs and organizations that never recieved a dime of government money have been shut down or made to accept women as members.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Ahh...that makes a difference and now I see why everyone is so hyper about it.

This has been debated before here. I have to say, it doesn't bother me. It's a little bit different than race. Clearly the segregated schools were seperate but not equal--that was the whole problem. Honestly, I doubt too many straight kids would WANT to go to a gay high school. And frankly I have seen the way kids who are even preceived as being gay are treated in a high school and it's downright disgusting. If they want to set up a school for fat kids, I wouldn't care. If they want to set up a school for nerds, I would be all for it. High school is miserable enough as it is. If these kids want a little santuary so they can actually learn in a safe environment, so be it. I doubt this will catch on like wild-fire since most teens don't want to be outed. But it's nice to know that if they do want to be out, they can have a safe place to go.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Even this card-carrying member of the Democratic Party and the ACLU thinks that this school is a stupid idea, and should be illegal to boot.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Several male-only clubs and organizations

Clubs and organizations are different from schools. And honestly, I don't care either. There was a big deal here in Minnesota because there is an all male golf-club. And some women were pitching a fit. To me it's stupid. It's not like there aren't ANY other places to golf in this state.

To me there is a difference between not being able to get in ANYWHERE because of race, gender, or whatever...and not being able to get into one place. I honestly think some people just want to make noise to make noise.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

None of you who have posted thus far were gay teenagers trying to muddle through high school. I was.

Until such time as sexuality is taught in public curriculum from a non-biased, unbigoted standpoint, then the need for segregation continues to exist. I would like to see children of all sexual persuasions interacting with one another. In a perfect world, this will happen. Unfortunately, we do not live in that perfect world. These schools were established with the protection of students in mind, not segregation.

High school students can be excruciatingly cruel. They were to me. If I had the opportunity to go to a gay-based high school, I might not have dropped out.

• Adam
    Adam

I know people are going to have different opinions and even experiences that directly relate and thank you for sharing. But my question is this: Is the existance of this school constitutional? This may very well be a good idea and I am sure that it will save a lot of kids a lot of grief. But the Supreme Court of the United States said that "seperate educational facilities are inherantly unequal and violate the 14th ammendment." I don't see any way around it. The constitutionality issue is much more important than any one person's opinion because that issue is what will determine whether this school continues to operate or is shut down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit